Tuesday, January 29, 2019

TV, More Snow, Dogs,

Well, got rid of the old TV and have arranged our lives differently to be here when the new TV arrives on Tuesday, I just hope it does arrive Tuesday. Fingers crossed please. Cost us $84.75 which, considering the prices I had heard, wasn't too bad. It was a company called Junk Works and when I spoke to them, the guy on the other end of the phone was in San Francisco although they have local offices. However, they were pretty prompt. Matt was horrified, but nowhere else I tried for help could do so. Community Support said they couldn't ask their drivers to lift heavy stuff. Actually, when the Junk people came, there were 3, two younger, one of whom just picked up our old, heavy, TV and walked out with it, easy as pie. This is basically what it looked like.

It has been snowing all day so maybe it's just as well we aren't going out tomorrow. Have moved the birthday lunch to Wednesday and the cannabis, who knows, not heard back from them. Still snowing and now it is almost 11 p.m.

I mentioned a dog yesterday, we brought one German Shepherd with us to Canada, she was young enough and fit enough to fly. Her name was Brandy and she absolutely adored the snow. This is her, playing in someone's pond with one of our other GSD's visible in the background, we had 3 of them at one time. They were definitely not supposed to be in that pond. We were visiting the owners and didn't realise there was one. They also had horses and the male dog decided to chase them, the horses decided to return the compliment so he jumped back into the garden. I was going spare. I used to take them to training school with my previous hubby. Worked well obviously!!! Later, in Canada, we obtained a mutt from a colleague of Matt's. She was a marvellous dog - part husky, part collie and a dash of GSD we think. She was a real ball of fluff when we went to choose one of the puppies, and scrambled over them all to get to us, so obviously we picked her. Sadly she was a very fit 13 1/2 yrs old when she got a twisted gut somehow, vet said he couldn't operate on a dog that old, so that was it. We decided we wouldn't have another. I do miss having a dog though except, these days, we couldn't walk one. I'd have a cat but Matt isn't too keen on them.

I have mentioned before how much I like the dark meat on poultry, this is another recipe for turkey legs which I thought sounded delicious. Gotta get me some turkey legs now.

Turkey Legs with Cider and Apples

This dish tastes like the holidays. The chili balances the sweetness of the sauce, but it can be omitted. Turkey legs braise very well and become tasty and rich. Always pat turkey dry before searing to ensure it browns well. Turkey legs come in different weights. Smaller ones will cook in 15 to 30
minutes’ less time. Serve with roasted parsnips, Brussels sprouts and buttermilk mashed potatoes. Leftover turkey makes a sensational turkey potpie. Just thicken the sauce and add any leftover cooked vegetables, cover with a puff pastry crust and bake at 350°F (180°C) until pastry is crisp and golden.

2 large turkey legs, about 6 lbs (2.7 kg), split into thighs and drumsticks
Salt and freshly ground pepper
3 Tbs (45 mL) olive oil
½ cup (125 mL) chopped pancetta
3 pork or chicken sausages, sliced 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick
3 tart green apples such as Spy or Granny Smith, peeled, cored and cut in wedges, about 5 cups (1.25 L)
2 cups (500 mL) chopped onions
2 cups (500 mL) chopped celery
1 Tbs (15 mL) chopped garlic
2 cups (500 mL) chicken stock
1 cup (250 mL) hard apple cider
1 Tbs (15 mL) cider vinegar
2 tsp (10 mL) chopped fresh thyme
1 dried chili
6 fresh sage leaves
GARNISH
12 fresh sage leaves

1. Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C).

2. Season turkey legs with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tbsp (30 mL) of oil in large ovenproof pot or in a skillet. Working in batches, add turkey pieces and brown on each side, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove to a plate.

3. Add pancetta and sauté until beginning to crisp, about 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in sausages and apples. Saute for 2 minutes or until sausage browns slightly. Remove sausages and apples to a bowl. Add onions and celery and sauté for 5 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.

4. Stir in stock, hard cider, cider vinegar, thyme, dried chili and 6 sage leaves. Bring to a boil. Return turkey legs to liquid. Cover and bake for 1 hour. Stir in apple wedges and sausage. Bake, covered, for 30 more minutes.

5. Increase heat to 350°F (180°C). Remove cover and bake another 30 minutes or until flavours are combined and legs are very tender.

6. Heat remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) of oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add sage leaves and fry until crisp and slightly curled, about 1 minute. Remove to a paper-towel-lined plate.

7. Carve meat from thighs and drumsticks and serve a portion of each per serving with sauce. Garnish with fried sage leaves.

Yield: 4 to 6

Source: LCBO

Have a great day

16 comments:

  1. I grew up with animals. Then when I was the last child at home, around 13, my parents loved to travel so they mandated no more animals. I pouted and tried to lure in strays for years. Finally, my parents were trumped by my grandma who sent me a kitten. It was a good compromise. She was a lovable cat. Slept at the top of my pillow every night until I got married and Chad wasn't a fan. I've since broken him down and turned him cat tolerant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Liz, I really miss having one now. I had a cat when I was a kid but always dogs since.

      Delete
  2. I’m dogless at themoment. Been looking for a rescue but small dogs - all I could handle these days - are hard to come by, They go very quickly, especially the girls. I’ve got my cat, though - he’s lying beside me as I type - and I can’t imagine not having at least one anilmal companion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well at least you have a cat Helen. Wish we did.

      Delete
  3. Wow, eighty-five bucks to come get the old television?
    We had dogs when I was growing up and I miss having one. Don't have the time though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Canada Alex, I was told I could pay quite a bit more.

      That is the problem with pets, having time.

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry about your pup passing but boy, she looks so cute. Ouch on the cost of the TV but I get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a while back now Ivy. Miss dogs though.

      Definitely ouch, but at least it's gone now. Waiting for the new one to be delivered. Worried about the snow though.

      Delete
    2. We still miss Peanut and that was awhile back, too.

      Delete
    3. I'm talking over 20 years now Ivy.

      Delete
  5. Good that you got the old TV hauled away. I don't think that was too unreasonable to pay for it to be gone. We have bulk trash times here every 3 months where you can put out stuff like this, old furniture, etc. We got new couches, gave our old ways to son and his family, and he had 3 couches to get rid of. Just had missed the bulk trash service so it would be another 3 months before the city would haul away for free. Didn't want that in the backyard of their place so paid $275 to have that and some wood and whatnot hauled away. Was glad to get it all gone.

    Such a cute picture of the dog playing in the pond, even if it wasn't supposed to be. Its been 4 years since we lost our corgi and we still go back and forth deciding on another dog, probably not going to though. Love them around but like the freedom of not having one too.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, wanted to get rid of it Betty plus, in an apartment building it is difficult to do the kerbside trash thing.

      Not just one in the pond, but 3 of them, we had to dry them out to let them into the house. Grrrrr. Miss them though, especially our last one, Chinook.

      Delete
  6. I love having a dog. We had a border collie/black lab mix as our first family dog and she was PERFECT for us. We miss her, but were so happy to have had her in our lives. Glad the old TV got taken care of and hope the new one is a joy. Enjoy your lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me too Lisa, but when you are elderly and decrepit it's not such a good idea. We have the new one in place but got to wait for a technician 'cos we can't crawl around to plug everything in, DVD players etc.

    ReplyDelete