Saturday, January 19, 2019

Restaurants, Kedgeree,

Until our friends mentioned the Mandarin free birthday lunch, I had kind of forgotten that it was Matt's 84th birthday on the 4th. My hospital stay has kind of skewed my thinking lately. They said they wouldn't be able to make it because they fly on the 1st, but Mandarin gives you one week either side of your birthday. I have a coupon to use at Red Lobster too, nothing to do with birthdays, but just $3 off lunch or $4 off dinner for the next week.

Unfortunately the fish store phoned, they received smoked cod although smoked haddock is available. Apparently she can have the smoked haddock in for me on Monday afternoon. I wasn't in any hurry so that's OK. Another way we used to eat smoked haddock was with a poached egg on top, the yolk and the fish really melded well. I'm salivating LOL. I would never have let the yolk run onto the plate though. When I was a kid, I used to eat all the white and then put the yolk, whole, into my mouth so I didn't lose any of it!!!

Meanwhile I looked up my father's recipe for Kedgeree. I have no idea where he got it from and from all I have learned over the years, it isn't very genuine, but I always loved it. The picture is not how we served it, we sieved the yolks, but I have never taken a photo myself. Will have to do so when I get this smoked haddock.

Kedgeree

1 lb smoked haddock (smoked cod can be substituted)
Milk to cover
1 cup long grain rice (Basmati is best)
Butter
seasoning
2 hard cooked eggs.

1. First poach the haddock in the milk until the fish flakes easily. Remove the fish,  break it up and make sure there is no skin or bones left. Meanwhile cook the rice as directed on the package. Melt a large knob of butter (2 oz.) in a saucepan and add the rice and fish and cook, stirring, til warmed through. You may need more butter, I use lots when making this. Taste for seasoning and add if required. Slice the eggs and remove the yolks. Turn the fish and rice onto a serving dish, decorate with the slices of egg white and then sieve the yolks over the top. As a variation you can add a dash of cayenne and/or a teaspoon of curry powder blended into the butter. You can also add thick cream at the end, if you wish and don’t care about cholesterol.

2. You can decorate the final dish with more hard cooked eggs and even parsley if you wish.

Source: Daddy

Have a great weekend.
 

12 comments:

  1. I can't wait for you to get haddock! I've never eaten it. I have never been a fish lover and usually pass when it's served. If only I could say that about chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's your answer Liz, eat more fish and less chocolate LOL. I love fish and can never understand why people don't enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - it's great to see the recipe for Kedgeree ... we used to have it often and still do - I love it just simply made (which I can do, as it's just for me, and served with lots of peas - the only time I like frozen peas! Hope you have some good meals though ... and congratulations to Matt on his 84th ... take care and all the best - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had it in years Hilary. I have seen recipes using other fish, but to me smoked haddock is the only one. Smoked cod in a pinch. One of the things I miss from the UK is the availability of really good fish.

      Delete
  3. Every time you mention the Mandarin I get a craving for Chinese food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have Mandarin in the States JoJo? It's a franchise here.

      Delete
    2. I don't think so....but at least not around here or out west. Maybe there is in the states that border Ontario. I'll have to look!

      Delete
    3. I saw your Facebook post. You will have to travel up north one day JoJo just to try Mandarin somewhere.

      Delete
  4. Glad you get to go with your friends for Matt's birthday lunch! Smart woman. I'm not a fish eating person, but my husband is and this recipe sounds right up his alley. We have yet to find a Chinese restaurant here in Columbus, even though I know there must be a ton!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised he hasn't taught you to enjoy fish Lisa. It's so good for you too. I am sure there are some good ones there.

      Delete
  5. Come on Spring, is something lots of folks are saying this week.

    ReplyDelete