Monday, October 15, 2018

Waterups, Senior Medications, Cooking, Dr. Who.

This is a fascinating picture, a storm called Callum is causing the water to go upwards instead of down - Scotland.


I have written to our MP this morning about the treatment of seniors as addicts. I have also written to CARP (same as AARP in the US) in the hope that they too will become involved. Having already endeavoured to spread the information on Facebook. I do not use Twitter unfortunately, at this time it is perhaps a pity that I don't.

I kind of planned ahead this weekend. Friday I cooked Thai Pineapple Shrimp Curry which is enough for two meals, finished it Sunday night, then Saturday I did
Marmalade Pork Tenderloin which will give us supper for Monday. Mine didn't look anything like the picture but it was delicious nevertheless. I am thinking I will do the Stewed White Beans I posted the other day for Wednesday - I have an afternoon CT Angiogram to go for so suspect we will be fairly late home. The Curry calls for toasted peanuts but I usually use toasted cashews which we have in house all the time. Recently discovered where to buy them at half the price I pay in our regular grocery store. It is Bulkville, but unfortunately a bit of a walk for me. However, it can be done. In fact I will walk to the bench right outside the store, wait for my legs to stop hurting and then go into the store. Reversing the process when I come out.

Tomorrow is, of course, league bowling which we both look forward to. The son at the alley is a Dr. Who Fanatic and they have just introduced a Barbie Doll of the current Dr. Who - a female!! I was telling him he should buy it as it will probably be worth a fortune in 50 years or less. It occurs to me the programme has to have been running 50 years (actually 55) or more. Just read this interesting snippet on Google Doctor Who first appeared on BBC TV at 17:16:20 GMT on Saturday, 23 November 1963; this was eighty seconds later than the scheduled programme time, due to the assassination of John F. Kennedy the previous day. I didn't remember that. I used to watch the programme when it first started. 

Brussels should be getting good now, never so nice in the summer. This seems a tasty way of eating them.

Bacon and Brussels Sprout Slaw

1 cup thinly diagonally sliced carrots
1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/4 cup canola mayonnaise
3 Tbs apple cider vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
12 oz Brussels sprouts, shredded (about 5 cups)
2 Tbs toasted sliced almonds

1. Combine first 8 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring to coat. Let stand at room temperature 10 minutes. Sprinkle with almonds

Servings: 6

Source: Cooking Light

Have a great day

16 comments:

  1. The license plate holder on my car reads "My Other Car is a TARDIS". I have Doctor Who cookie jar too. Charlie loves opening it cause it makes the TARDIS sound of taking off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun Denise. Love the idea of the cookie jar.

      Delete
  2. Just keep fighting and spreading the word.
    That's some strong wind to force the water upwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying to do what I can Alex.

      Must have been a very strong wind I think.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo - I saw the waterfall ... it was amazing. Good luck with getting things sorted out. Well done on preparing meals - always helps and yours always sound delicious. They love Brussels here - as do I ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah Hilary, it was a waterup. It does help when you make extra, true. I love Brussels too.

      Delete
  4. What a phenomenon to see, the waterfall going backwards. I love brussel sprouts, and I mean Looooove!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing isn't it Lisa? I love them but not that much LOL

      Delete
  5. Good on you for being proactive and writing to the MP. I hope you get somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got a response saying my email would be passed to the minister and would I send my address which, of course, I just did Pinky.

      Delete
  6. It's horrifying that people who truly need opiates to provide relief from debilitating pain are penalized because of the growing number of addicts who abuse opiates. I hope the powers that be figure it out.

    Cannabis isn't legal in our state, but at a fair we visited recently, there was a booth set up that was selling a hemp-based pain cream. They let my hubby smear a little on his knee to test it. We walked around a little while, and he said the relief was almost instantaneous. Needless to say, we went back and bought a couple of jars. I haven't used it yet, though. So far, Blue Emu works fairly well for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true Susan. The government doesn't understand need for pain and need for addiction although "they" proved Tylenol 3 is not addictive anyway.

      Hemp based cream, sounds interesting. Cannabis is now legal for non medical use here. But it still doesn't have a Drug Identification No. and until it does insurance won't help with the payments and it is very expensive. Haven't heard of Blue Emu.

      Delete
  7. I am certainly aware of Doctor Who but I wouldn't call myself a Whovian. I adored the 9th doctor Chris Eccleston when the show was rebooted in 2005 but I lost interest after he left after only one season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly haven't seen it since I left England in '75 JoJo, but I know lots of people love it. Seems all wrong to me to have a female Dr. Who now.

      Delete
  8. It is shameful that the only solutions to the addiction problem seems to a broad brush that doesn't seem to be helping anyone and hurting those in actual need.

    ReplyDelete