Monday, October 1, 2018

Cold, Medical, Junk Food, Thanksgiving,

It's cold. After all the fantastically warm weather we have had for months, it suddenly seems like winter. Maybe not quite that bad but what a contrast to the weather we have been having. Not only that, I am having to dress up warmly indoors as the heat is not yet turned on in the building. I can't remember when they do turn it on, I am guessing October 1, or today, but I don't know. I am also wondering if there is a new Superintendent yet. I have seen the previous assistant, I thought he had quit but obviously not.

Matt had bad back spasms on Saturday which apparently caused some kind of panic attack and I ended up calling the ambulance. They gave him pain meds and a muscle relaxant and I brought him home again. He has a scrip for a muscle relaxant but I am not sure he really needs it. Looking at the scrip I see they have our old doctor listed, but we changed and I did tell them when I was there but far be it for someone to think if I had changed, Matt would have done too. I have emailed them but I guess I should phone and make sure.

Sunday morning I watched Dr. Jennifer Ashton on GMA talking about dieting and junk food. Apparently it has been discovered that people actually have withdrawal symptoms on days 2-5 (I think) when cutting out junk food. They are just as addicted as people with drug or alcohol addictions. As she said, junk food is calorie rich and nutrient poor. Her advice, eat from the farm and not from the factory. I thought that was an excellent motto to adopt.

Canadian Thanksgiving is a week today, October 8. Many people will be stuffing themselves on turkey and ham and other goodies. I thought this would be an appropriate recipe for the feast. I am not yet sure what, if anything, I will cook specially for Thanksgiving.

Maple Pecan Pie

I used the recipe for the pecan pie filling that I found on Joy of Baking as a start and
replaced the corn syrup with maple syrup.

1 1/2 cups pecans
1 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup maple syrup (or golden syrup)
1 Tbs bourbon (optional)
1/4 cup unsalted butter
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 pie crust, chilling in the fridge until used

1. Bake the pecans in a preheated 350F/180C until nicely toasted, about 8-12 minutes.

2. Heat the sugar, syrup, bourbon and butter in a large saucepan until it boils, stirring constantly.

3. Remove from heat and let cool.

4. Beat in the eggs, cream, vanilla and salt.

5. Spread the pecans over the bottom of the pie crust.

6. Pour the liquid mixture into the pie crust.

7. Bake in a preheated 350F/180C until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 40-50 minutes.

Servings: 6

Author: Kevin Lynch
Source: Closet Cooking

Have a great day
 

14 comments:

  1. Glad it was just back spasms and nothing worse.
    Eat from the farm, not the factory - I like that. And I only eat junk food once a year. Maybe not even that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So was I Alex.

      Yes, I liked that phrase too. We are the same, I am not sure we even eat it once a year.

      Delete
  2. Got home at midnight Saturday and the house was cold! So, the heat is on, but it is supposed to be close to 80 later this week. Making that pie with golden syrup sounds like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome home Denise, I bet it was cold when you got back. The highest forecast for the week here is 24°C on Saturday. Not golden syrup, maple syrup.

      Delete
    2. He put golden syrup in parentheses.

      Delete
    3. Didn't notice that Denise, duuh!!

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo - hope Matt's challenges ease; it is much colder ... and we have buckets of that wet stuff! We're having Thanksgiving ... not sure what - but a farming family ... it tends to be a meal as farming et al carries on ... I expect it'll be traditional food though. It's always nice to do something slightly different ... and yes farm to plate is the best - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary We have had a fair bit of the wet stuff here lately too. I agree with the slightly different comment.

      Delete
  4. I've never tried pecan pie, even before the nut allergy kicked in. Now I'm afraid to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a pity JoJo. Are you allergic to nuts or peanuts? Peanuts are not really nuts.

      Delete
  5. I totally believe it's addictive. Sugar too. I will crave one or the other if I eat them for a few days. If I refrain, I don't even think of it.

    I love pecan pie. I better not make it though. I'm the only one in my family who likes it and I'd eat the whole thing.

    Glad to hear Matt is feeling better. I wouldn't take the meds either unless it became a constant thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup Liz, it is. But I keep Kisses in house so if I really am craving something sweet and chocolatey, I can eat a few of them and be satisfied.

      Pity we don't live nearby, we could share th epie.

      Thanks, glad you agree.

      Delete
  6. Eat from the farm not the factory... brilliant. My philosophy is if you can't identify every ingredient then don't eat it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good philosophy Pinky. I loved that phrase.

      Delete