Thursday, September 27, 2018

Rent Increase, Transplanting Hope,

Apart from my big refund yesterday, we had our annual notice of rent increase to take place in January. When I read it, it scared the hell out of me, they are proposing a rent increase of $66 a month because of all the expenses on the building. (I didn't ask for new balconies!). They did tell me they had submitted this to the Rent Tribunal and I would be notified of the hearing. This would be a 4.8% increase. The standard is 1.8%. I phoned the Rent Tribunal office and they told me that our landlords were very unlikely to get more than 2%. Better. He also told me to discuss it with others in the building. I phoned one friend and she told me that a mutual acquaintance was under the impression the approval had already gone through. I assured her that it hadn't and told her what the Tribunal had told me.  I have been complaining for years that rent goes up $20 odd per month/year but pensions rarely go over a couple of a dollars. This kind of increase would really hurt. One very good  thing about this building, we do not have to pay for what is referred to as hydro in Canada, i.e. electricity and water.

Just watched an incredible programme called Transplanting Hope all about organ donations. I must admit I had never really thought about it in detail before. I was aware that finding donors was extremely difficult, as one surgeon said, they lose 1/4 of their patients because of lack of donations. Maybe everyone should see this documentary. The surgeons who do the transplants are absolutely incredible, a lot of the work shown was of Canadian hospitals. However, both in Canada and in Texas work is being done on reviving hearts which were originally considered unusable, often through being deprived of oxygen too long. A heart, for instance, is only viable for a few hours on the death of the donor.

The picture of this recipe attracted me, thought a number of people would find it interesting. That toasted cheese looks absolutely delicious.

Michael's Pizza Soup

2 Tbs olive oil
2 onions, chopped
6-8 cloves garlic, minced
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 Tbs dried oregano
3 cups or so your favourite pizza toppings (such as sliced bell peppers, mushrooms, olives, cooked bacon)
4 oz spicy pepperoni, thinly sliced into rounds and halved
4 cups rich chicken broth or plain old water
lots of freshly ground pepper

1. Preheat your broiler.

2. Splash the olive oil into your soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic. Cook, stirring, as the onions soften, 2 or 3 minutes. Pour in the tomatoes, then stir in the oregano, your pizza toppings and the pepperoni.

3. Pour in the chicken broth and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a vigorous boil for a moment, then immediately reduce the heat to a slow, steady simmer and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the flavours brighten and the textures soften, 10 minutes or so.

Yield: 4-6

Author: Michael Smith

Have a great day
 

16 comments:

  1. Yes, it’s horrible how rent, etc...keeps going up but a person’s income does not which makes it more and more difficult to maintain everything and live a little. I was wond ring if they would increase it that high due to the work they did. They don’t care if you have lived there for a long t8me, never missed a payment etc...they will jack up the rent so, I agree, to try to get everyone together to discuss that hike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the Tribunal seemed to think they wouldn't get any more than 2%. I hope not, that's bad enough Birgit.

      Delete
  2. That's a big increase. Hopefully the Rent Tribunal nixes that much of an increase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jo - I hope the rent increase is a reasonable amount and is reduced for January. For some reason I've never been a fan of pizza ... but pizza soup sounds good - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both Hilary. No, I am not a fan either but I did think this soup looked good.

      Delete
  4. I hope they don't increase it that much. That would take a bite out of your budget.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It isn't fair that the rent could be raised that much, especially for improvements the owners wanted, not the tenants. Good luck with that.

    That soup looks yummy. Lots less carbs than pizza, too. Might be a better choice for my diabetic hubby. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need some luck Susan, thanks.

      Lot of cheese though.

      Delete
  6. Wow, I hope you win, Jo. Keep pestering them, and talking to everyone in the building. The more people who protest/call in, the better the odds are for a lower increase. OMG, pizza soup! What will they think of next?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do Lisa. It is a ridiculous amount.

      Pizza soup looks good though.

      Delete
  7. The rent situation happened to my mother in her last years of living on her own. Her once affordable apartment kept going up in price every year. It's a crime. When I was a health teacher, we had a member of the transplant team come in each year and talk to students about organ donation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit the same with our rent although they are limited, most of the time, as to how much of an increase they can charge. The usual is 1.8%.

      You would have been interested in the programme then Susan.

      Delete
  8. Rent increases kill my stepson & DIL too. Even just an extra $30 devastates their budget. And they have Section 8 assistance too. the pizza soup looks good but knowing me I'd eat the cheese off the top and nothing else. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $30 is pretty hefty in the States JoJo. I love soups so would definitely eat it all.

      Delete