Friday, July 20, 2018

Trivia, Health, Saturday Dinner,

Now here's something I would never thought of or that hadn't occurred to me Fish eggs can stick to the feathers and legs of aquatic birds, which is one way that previously fish-free natural or man-made ponds and lakes can become stocked with fish got this from How to Geek this morning.

I decided this morning that it has taken 80 years for them to get me to have a colonoscopy and it will be another 80 before I have another. The colonoscopy itself wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but my insides haven't felt "good" for a week now. Just about back to normal today. Can you believe I haven't really enjoyed chocolate in all this time!! Now if I could just get my legs right, life would be great. We haven't bowled for 2 weeks either but I think, come hell or high water, we will be going this week.

Saturday night I was looking for something easy to do with steak and made Steak a la Moutarde and Fried Cabbage with Egg Noodles. I will post the recipes later this week. Not too much work but quite enough thank you. One thing I/we do not want to do is rely on Meals on Wheels. I may be totally wrong but suspect we personally would not enjoy their food. Sunday night we had Kung Pao Chicken which is a favourite and in fact my recipe is enough for us to have for two nights.

Right I now have to go add some things to my online shopping list.

I discovered Aioli many, many years ago in France, but this is a different version which I thought sounded good.

Aji Verde Aioli (Jalapeno Avocado Mayo)

1/2 cup Canola Mayonnaise
1 Avocado raw
2 cups Cilantro fresh chopped
2 peppers - Jalapeno, deseeded and roughly chopped
1 lime juiced
1 clove garlic minced
1 Tbs Canola oil
4 Tbs water
1/4 tsp coarse Kosher Salt

1. Combine avocado, cilantro, peppers and garlic  in a food processor. Pulse for 10-15 second bursts, scraping down sides, until you have a paste. Add Mayonnaise, lime and oil. Pulse for 20 seconds until creamy and well mixed - Cilantro and jalapeno should now look like small flakes. Aioli will be thick add 1 tbs water - pulse and check for consistency you want.

 Source: Fruit and Veggies - More Matters.

Author Notes
Thick aioli is good for sandwiches and spreads

Thin is good for salads, veg and a sauce

Have a great day

 

10 comments:

  1. Good luck Jo with getting back to normal ... take care and enjoy next week's bowling .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary. If I can enjoy you can be sure I will

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you're starting to feel better. One of my husband's doctors is wanting him to have a colonoscopy 'for peace of mind'. As he has no symptoms I've been opposing it and after your. experience I'm even more opposed.

    I suspect you're right about meals from Meals on Wheels. Anything that has to be mass produced and tailored to all tastes is likely to be bland or less than interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely dissuade your husband Helen. Although Matt has had several with no problem, as have you.

      I think so.

      Delete
  3. My grandfather died from colon cancer so I had my first one in my 50's. Now they have a test you can do at home if there is no family history of problems. I hate the prep more than the test and have had no issues. But the older you get the thinner the wall of the colon and puncture is a concern, as happened to my friend. Not sure if I will have another one which would be my fourth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if there is colon cancer in the family Denise, I can see the point. Nobody ever thought I needed to have one before this.

      Delete
  4. I'm surprised your doctor let you go that long without one. I had my first at 50. I hope your recover soon, because it shouldn't take that long. I was back to normal that same day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they do them just for the sake of it Diane. I think part of my problem is the double length colon. I could be wrong. According to Google stories, I am not the only one who has had problems after.

      Delete
  5. I have had 3 colonoscopies because bowel cancer runs big time on my father’s side of the family...my Aunt, her son, 2 uncles died of this cancer and my other uncle went in to stop his daughter from nagging and it was found he had bowel cancer as well. I hate the pre crap..sorry for the pun. My brother is going this Wednesday for one. It sounds like you are clear...in more ways than one. Yes, it takes a while for the body to readjust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily as far as I have ever heard, colon cancer is not in my family Birgit. Sorry you have to go through it. My body seems to be taking it's time but I have definitely decided that's because I have a double length colon.

      Delete