Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Toaster Oven, Bowling, Weather,

Having originally purchased a Black and Decker Toaster oven which went kaput. I ended up in touch with Spectrum Appliances in Ohio who promised to replace my toaster oven. On July 2 they said they would email me when they had dispatched the appliance. I have emailed them once since this time, but at present, nothing appears to have happened and they still say they will email me when they have sent the replacement. I am getting a tad fed up with this. I'm thinking I should start doing some phoning instead of emailing.

Wednesday is bowling league day and as we have missed bowling for two weeks running, we are both looking forward to going. Just keeping my fingers crossed that nothing will prevent us this time.

Having heard so much about flash flooding in North Carolina lately, I have been enquiring of my friends if  they are doing OK. Seems as though they are. Things seem to be pretty bad everywhere, I hear from Viveka that Sweden is "on fire" and that there is such a drought that farmers are unable to feed their cattle and having to slaughter them because of it. And yet, people maintain global warming isn't happening!!!

It seems I have posted this recipe before but I still haven't got round to try it. For some unknown reason I have never cooked Cornish Hens. Odd really, because I enjoy them. The first time I ever had them they were made as a birthday surprise dinner for me by a really good friend in North Carolina - he is no longer with us unfortunately. I never knew exactly how he cooked them which is a pity because they were really delicious and I know he used a bread and milk stuffing, but that is all. This recipe says it is for four but every time I have eaten Cornish Hens I have been served a whole bird. I suppose it depends on the size of  the hen.

Herb-Roasted Cornish Hens with Root Vegetables

2 1- to 1-1/2- pounds Cornish game hens
4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch lengths
4 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 2-inch lengths
2 small turnips, peeled and cut into wedges
1 medium onion, cut into wedges
3 Tbs olive oil or cooking oil
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
2 tsp dried oregano, crushed
1/2 tsp salt

1. Skewer neck skin of hens to back; tie legs to tail. Twist wings under back. Place hens, breast up, on a rack in a large shallow roasting pan. Place carrots, parsnips, turnips, and onions around hens in pan. Combine oil, garlic, rosemary, oregano, and salt; brush onto hens and vegetables.

2. Roast, uncovered, in a 375° F oven for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until hens are no longer pink and the drumsticks move easily in their sockets.(Internal temperature should be 180° F with an instant-read thermometer.) During roasting, turn vegetables occasionally. Transfer hens from roasting pan to serving platter. Cover and keep warm. Remove rack from roasting pan. Stir vegetables. Increase oven temperature to 450° F. Continue roasting vegetables for 15 to 20 minutes more or until tender and browned.

3. To serve, using a slotted spoon, spoon vegetables around hens on platter.  .

Servings: 4

Source: Better Homes and Gardens

Have a great day
 

10 comments:

  1. See you have more spam comments. Do these folks not have real jobs? lol. Anyway, I agree on one cornish hen per person. As for global warming, I was talking with an acquaintance from South Africa who now lives here. They are experiencing a drought there and his brother is thinking of leaving the country and moving elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe they are like you and I Denise, retired. Does seem to be such a waste of effort. As I said, I have always been served one hen when I have eaten them.

      Drought conditions seem to be pretty prevalent, although I guess the US East coast wouldn't agree.

      Delete
  2. Hope you got to to bowling today. We're having some bad flooding here in PA. My town made the national news with pictures of the flood. I haven't cooked cornish hens for years. Might try them again sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It says NC is having a lot of flooding but not where my friends live apparently. Sorry you are having problems in your area Susan. I was flooded out once in the UK. Not funny.

      I enjoy Cornish hens.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo = hope you get to bowling today ... Cornish hens were cross-bred specifically to give one meal serving, except some obviously were large enough for two people with reasonable appetites ... they are an American breed from the 1950s. Take care - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we did Hilary. I didn't know that about Cornish Hens.

      Delete
  4. I hope you got to go bowling! When my hubby and I were visiting our son and his family at Christmas, we all went bowling. Or attempted to, anyway. We used to bowl on numerous leagues, but it had been a while since we last bowled. Still, when our son asked, we agreed to give it a whirl, because the kids all wanted to go. Big mistake! It was a raucous kid-oriented place, and the lanes were one big mass of stickiness. First ball I rolled, I stuck and fell. Same thing happened with the second one, so I said I'd be an observer and cheerleader. My husband fell when he tried to slide, too, so the two of us sat on the sidelines feeling very old. (It was a strange kind of bowling alley... you rented the lanes for a specific time period, and it didn't matter how many people played or how many games. When the time ran out, the lanes went dark.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds very dangerous Susan. Of course we do 5 pin although there are 10 pin alleys here too. They do that here too, you pay for an hour's bowling - if you want. I don't know if there is any restriction on how many people bowl. We mostly bowl on a league though.

      Delete
  5. I think the case for climate change is being proven with all these extremes. I feel sorry for the people in Greece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i know you went bowling and happy you did. Europe seems to be under a heatwave as are we. What a shame that the farmers are killing their cattle. i hope it breaks for them soon

    ReplyDelete