Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Mandarin, Cannabis, Shrinking Me, Bowling,

The Mandarin are still celebrating Canada Day - they do so from July 1 to July 31. We went there for lunch today with the friends who had helped us driving us from the hospital. Much to my surprise, with my painful legs, I managed to serve myself at the buffet quite easily. I got a few slices of chocolate dipped bacon but was a little disappointed this year. I was also very disappointed in their Hot and Sour Soup today. Tasted as though there were something missing. Great pity, it is one of my favourite things to eat there. The Maple Glazed Salmon, one of their Canada Day specials, was delicious. I must say their spring and egg rolls made mine look a bit pathetic LOL

We then went straight to the grocery store and collected my order - Matt always collects the car and puts it back in the garage for me, long walk for me. I took the trolley full of groceries into the front lobby but couldn't get them any further. I need my cannabis, not going til July 30. Hopefully I won't have to reschedule again.

Forgot, Monday I also went for a bone density test. Went for one a long time ago, don't remember how long, and I had gone from 5 ft. 6 in to 5 ft. 5 in. Now I am 5 ft. 3 1/2 in. I am shrinking. Don't know the results of any of the other tests of course.

Matt keeps saying we won't go bowling tomorrow. Oh yes we will, I am quite determined. If I sit at the scoring table I don't have much walking to do and should manage OK. I know we took all 7 points last week although we weren't there, but what our standing is at the moment I don't know. We were at #1.

Just came across this article about getting rid of fruit flies. I know we are plagued with them, more some summers than others. Thought you might find  the article of help as well.

I thought this sounded delicious. I have never been a fan of canned tuna although I do enjoy fresh tuna. However, lobster is probably my favourite food. For most of you I would suggest buying your lobsters cooked. I also haven't a clue what Fresh Express Veggie Lover's Salad Blend is, something one would have to guess at I think.

Lobster Niçoise Salad

Steamed lobster is a luxurious swap for tuna in this otherwise-classic, veggie-loaded Niçoise salad. In a pinch—or if you don't want to deal with a giant pot of boiling water on a steamy summer day—
many supermarkets have freshly picked lobster meat at their seafood counter or in the freezer case. Serve with a warm baguette for lunch or dinner.

11 oz Fresh Express Veggie Lover's Salad Blend
3  1 1/4-1 1/2 pound live lobsters
1 lb small new potatoes
1 lb green beans, trimmed
4 cups mixed baby salad greens or arugula
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
½ cup Niçoise olives or other black olives
Vinaigrette
2 anchovy fillets, chopped
? tsp salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1 ½ tsp grated lemon zest
¼ cup lemon juice
3 Tbs minced fresh chives
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil

1. To prepare lobsters: Bring 4 inches of water to a rolling boil in a very large pot. Add lobsters, claw-side down; cover and cook until a leg pulls out easily, 14 to 16 minutes. Remove from the pot. When cool enough to handle, remove the tail and claws from the body. Cut open the tail with kitchen shears. Insert a fork into the tail on an angle and pull out the meat. Crack open the claws with a lobster cracker or nutcracker and remove the meat from the claw and knuckle. (The body is delicious to snack on: pull off the legs, crack open the body and eat the bits of meat inside.) To prepare potatoes & green beans: Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large pot fitted with a steamer basket. Add potatoes, cover and cook until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove to a cutting board to cool. Add more water to the pot, if necessary, so it's at least 1 inch deep. Add green beans to the steamer basket, cover and cook until bright green and just tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Rinse in a colander with cold water until cool. Drain thoroughly. When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut in half, if desired. To prepare vinaigrette: Mash anchovies and salt in a medium bowl using the back of a spoon. Stir in pepper, lemon zest, lemon juice and chives. Whisk in oil in a slow steady stream until well combined. To assemble salad: Arrange greens on a serving platter. Top with the lobster meat, potatoes, green beans, tomatoes and olives. Spoon about ¼ cup of the vinaigrette over the top. Serve the remaining vinaigrette on the side.

2. To make ahead: Refrigerate cooked lobster, green beans, potatoes and vinaigrette separately for up to 1 day.

Servings: 6

Author: Kathy Gunst
Source: Eating Well Magazine

Have a great day
 

10 comments:

  1. Glad things are sort of easing and you can do a few things. Enjoy the bowling ... which I hope you get to. I love tuna nicoise ... or any form of similar salad ... and lobster would do me well - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sort of Hilary. Don't think I will be bowling today, feeling a tad off colour.

      Delete
  2. Hope you get to go bowling and they figure out why your legs hurt so much. Our stores sell a variety of Fresh Express salad blends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't go bowling in the end Susan. I seem to be feeling after effects from the colonoscopy as well. Never come across Fresh Express before.

      Delete
  3. Oh my, my friends' mother keeps shrinking because she has bad discs plus osteoporosis and osteoarthritis. I hope you are not in too much pain but, I know you are and I feel bad for you. Glad you pick up your groceries and that you enjoyed the mandarin for the most part. Enjoy bowling tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it certainly appears I am shrinking Birgit.

      Didn't bowl in the end after all.

      Delete
  4. Delicious recipe, looks soo yummy
    Have you seen this recipe?
    It's honestly one of my favorites, in addition to yours of course ;) It always gets me in a festive mood

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am craving lobster and shrimp. Kills me I can't have it. We are having a problem with regular flies. Some days I will kill 30-50. Can't figure out where they are coming from. I keep a clean kitchen and trash is always out. Food is always covered. I really enjoy my electrocution tennis racket. That thing works like a charm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Niçoise Salad and recently Scott and I went to a restaurant that had it on the menu. There aren't many. It must be out of vogue or something. Anyway, they had dumped a can of tuna on it and the potato element was just cut up chips. It was disgusting and I was VERY disappointed.

    ReplyDelete