Monday, June 11, 2018

Online Shopping, Supper, Air Fryer, Weather, Medical,

What an idiot, I scheduled this for next Monday, duuh.

I may have given the wrong impression after my latest online shopping experience. I am actually pretty satisfied and just need to sort out a few things - not really surprising. Last week I also bought fillet steaks and forgot so didn't check them out. Unwrapped them on Saturday and they were just what I wanted, well marbled and one slightly smaller than the other. I just need to be sure that the young man who picked and packed last week is reading my instructions. In fact you can't go far wrong with this store as their produce (green grocery to Brits) is always excellent which is one of the reasons I shop there in the first place.

I decided to make my first Pavlova of the summer (what summer?) for Saturday dessert. Used strawberries from local farms. I don't know what they are like in England these days, but when I was a kid, strawberries were sweet. Not any more unfortunately. Have to give them a good soak in Splenda before I use them. No, not sugar, not good for us. I am also going to do a baked potato in the air fryer - supposed to be great - keeping my fingers crossed.

Update. Having looked up all kinds of recipes for a baked potato, I opted for one which said about 35 minutes at 390°. No way. I ended up cooking it for around an hour, if not a bit longer. In fact, at the end, having served up dinner, I cut  the potato in half and gave if around 5 minutes more. That worked. Of course the cut part of  the potato was a bit crispy but it was still nice inside and the skin (which is my favourite part) was really crispy. This was a large potato, but we split one between us.

Regarding my comment "what summer" we have been having quite chilly weather and we both went back into long pants and I even wore a sweat shirt earlier in the week. Of course, there is no heating on in the building. I have said, several times, that we need some  kind of heater. Last week we certainly did need it.

This week is more doctors. Matt has an ultrasound at 6 p.m. this evening, Monday, and I have a bone density on Tuesday morning. Then I think we are free for a while.

I had had lots of heart searchings about what to cook for supper and couldn't think of anything so on Saturday morning I grabbed a couple of fillets out of the freezer, as I mentioned above and then wondered what to do with them. This is what I ended up with. This picture is on my table but I am damned if I remember cooking it before. I had to make a few changes, instead of tomato concasse I used some tomato purée and a little tomato juice. I also used more wine as it seemed to be drying out on me. Anyway, it was delicious.

Chef John's Steak Pizzaiola

1 lb beef tenderloin steaks, cut into 4 medallions
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbs olive oil
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
2 tsp butter
1 pinch salt
1 cup sliced sweet and hot peppers
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 cup white wine
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1 cup tomato concasse
2 Tbs chopped fresh oregano
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 pinch red pepper flakes
1 pinch salt and ground black pepper to taste

1. Season steak medallions with salt and black pepper on both sides.

2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add steaks and cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Reserve oil in skillet.

3. Place mushrooms and butter into the skillet and season with salt; cook and stir until mushrooms are softened and beginning to brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; add peppers and cook and stir until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute. Pour in wine and sprinkle in dried oregano. Increase heat to medium-high and cook until the wine is nearly evaporated, about 3 minutes.

4. Stir tomato concasse into the mushroom mixture and simmer until tomato is softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add fresh oregano, balsamic vinegar, and red pepper flakes; stir to combine. Adjust salt and black pepper to taste.

5. Place steaks back into the skillet with the mushroom mixture and cook until warmed through and cooked to desired doneness, 4 to 10 minutes.

Servings: 4

Author: Chef John's
Source: Allrecipes.com

Have a great day
 

13 comments:

  1. We have summer here. Come on down.
    If the potato took that long, you might as well bake it in the oven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could Alex. I miss our visits to NC.

      You're right.

      Delete
  2. The pavlova looks delicious! I am glad the shopping is going well and that they gave you what you were hoping for. I know what you mean about dr's visits. i have to reschedule mine since it is on the same day as my hubby's infusion for his rheumatoid arthritis. i am actually sick of all these appointments. I could never eat a raw steak...ick...I think of all the bacteria etc... floating around in the blood so it must be well done for me. i am enjoying the cooler weather and hate the heat that i know is coming our way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Birgit, and so simple to make. I have placed another order this week - will see what happens. It is still easier for me even if they do screw up a bit. I cancelled tonight's Ultrasound and have re-booked. Not feeling the greatest today. Actually, it isn't blood you see in a raw steak, or anything else. I read what it was but can't remember now. Should look it up again.

      Delete
  3. My kids use the shopping service and like it. I bought strawberries this weekend and they nice but are not real sweet. I served mine with angel food cake. The red color in meat is due to myoglobin. Drives me crazy when folks call it blood. Don't they realize that blood would clot??? not run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it too Denise. Unlikely to go back to slogging round the store. I had forgotten it was myoglobin but googled it earlier. I never thought about it clotting either.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jo - glad the home shopping service is working out. The strawberries I've had so far - aren't so good ... and I prefer raspberries. Glad the steak tasted good ... hope today and tomorrow go smoothly - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it certainly is Hilary. I prefer raspberries too, but even those are not terribly sweet any more.

      Delete
  5. It feels like all of the seasons have shifted ahead by one month. It's been pretty chilly here too, for June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know JoJo, it's ridiculous having to wear long pants and sweaters at this time of year.

      Delete
  6. We're shivering here, Jo. Probably nothing by Canadian standards but our houses aren't designed to cope with cold. Hot weather now that's we do plan for.

    That pavlova looks luscious but how do you manage the meringue without sugar?Sugar literally makes me ill so I can't use it but my husband has something of a sweet tooth so it would be nice to give him a treat I could share sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit warmer this week Helen. Mind you the apartment still doesn't feel that warm to me.

      I buy the Pavlova meringue already made Helen. They do large one, and single serving size ones. Maybe your grocery can do single serving ones for you. You should check it out.

      Delete
  7. God that steak looks amazing. We love our airfryer too! Very nice! uncommon goods and unique gift ideas

    ReplyDelete