Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Monday Shopping at the Farm,

I decided to leave my return parcel til Tuesday when I am going to the mall where the post office is anyway. Saves on gas at least. Turns out I have a parcel to pick up at the post office tomorrow so that worked out fine.

So, went to the asparagus farm instead and bought loads of asparagus for myself and others plus some rhubarb for someone else oh, and strawberries for us. I have rhubarb in the freezer now, don't need more. This is probably the last fresh asparagus this year. We then came home and as the car was filthy we went into a gas bar, topped up the tank and washed the car. Does look a lot better now.

Came home and thought I would leave my pickling and canning til tomorrow (Tuesday) then thought,
I'll just do the brine then that at least will be ready. Then thought, well it won't take long to sterilise the jars, and so on and so on, so now I have three more jars of pickled asparagus sitting cooling and popping (well two of them have) although I Googled and even if they don't pop, it can be OK and you can check by pressing the top which, so long as there is no give, means they are sealed properly. Now have 5 jars in all. Once I had finished, I was done for and virtually threw some soup and some cheese and crackers on the table.

I need to write things down, thought of two ideas to write about and have forgotten them both!!

I thought this looked good. Especially since we cannot have a barbecue.

Blackened Shrimp with Citrus and Roasted Fennel

You don’t need to grill outdoors to get smoky char on this shrimp dish, just a quick spice rub and a hot skillet. The fennel and shallots caramelize and become tender as they roast, and the orange slices
become concentrated and fragrant. The multigrain medley is a fun alternative to brown rice; it includes brown, red, and wild rice, plus quinoa. Can’t find it? Use any precooked brown rice or quick-cooking quinoa

2 small navel oranges
2 medium fennel bulbs with stalks (about 7 oz. each)
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
1 tsp kosher salt, divided
6 small shallots, halved
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp chopped fresh oregano
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails on
2 (4.4-oz.) pkg. precooked multigrain rice medley (such as Minute)

1. Preheat oven to 425°F.

2. Grate one orange to equal 1 teaspoon rind; reserve. Cut oranges crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick rounds. Remove stalks from fennel; chop fronds to equal 2 tablespoons and reserve (discard stalks). Cut fennel bulbs into 1/2-inch-thick wedges. Combine orange slices, 2 tablespoons oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, shallots, and fennel wedges in a bowl. Arrange fennel mixture in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 425°F for 25 minutes or until fennel is tender and lightly charred.

3. Combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, paprika, and next 4 ingredients (through red pepper) in a ziplock bag. Add shrimp, seal, and shake to coat. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add shrimp; cook 3 minutes or until done.

4. Heat rice medleys according to package directions; place in a bowl and stir in reserved 1 teaspoon orange rind. Divide rice mixture, fennel mixture, and shrimp among 4 plates; sprinkle evenly with reserved fennel fronds.

Servings: 4

Source: Cooking Light

Have a great day
 

12 comments:

  1. I'm already tired just reading about what you accomplished. My Grandparents had a five acre farm and they did so much canning I said I would never do it when I grew up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I have done very little canning Denise. I used to can tomatoes in NC as we lived next to a farm and the tomatoes were both cheap and delicious.

      Delete
  2. You just can't resist canning asparagus, can you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I can't Alex. It has already drifted through my mind to can more before the season ends. Don't think I will though.

      Delete
  3. H Jo - glad you got some more and gave the canning process a try. I'm sure it'll be just as you expect it to be. Glad the car is clean! The shrimp looks delicious - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard work, for me anyway, Hilary, but I am glad I have the jars now. Frozen is not great - would be better if I had a commercial freezer. I was glad about the car, it really was filthy. Gotta try that shrimp.

      Delete
  4. Nothing beats a clean car.

    I need to attempt rhubarb pie some day. I love it but I've never made it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny isn't it Diane, I felt embarrassed to be driving such a dirty car.

      Don't much like rhubarb pie. Just cook mine in a little water with sweetening and ginger. Suits me fine.

      Delete
  5. So you even can these sticks you love...this is true love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh definitely Birgit. Matt does eat them but says they are really weeds.

      Delete
  6. Imagine all that lovely off season asparagus you will have at your fingertips! Good on you, Jo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am imagining it Pinky. Was tempted to go today for the last pickings, but didn't get time in the end.

      Delete