Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Busy Tuesday, Asparagus,

Things are not going my way lately. I took the bras to the post office and collected the parcel with the other bra plus a wall plug. Bra seems fine, but nothing would plug into the wall plug again so it too has to go back. Thinking I need to take my hair dryer (lightest thing I could think of) and go round all the damned stores in the area. What a pain. After the Post Office I picked up my groceries then went to the library to pick up and drop off and finally to the bakers to get my favourite buns. I phoned Matt to say I would be home in a few minutes and to meet me, and he was all in a panic and stressed out again because he didn't now where I had got to (I was only just over an hour) and had forgotten I was going to several places. By the time I had done all this I was exhausted again. Although not taking up energy of the body, I had been reconciling bank accounts in the morning and dealing with various appointments. I am beginning to think I need some help. Not only that, Matt complained that the bananas I brought home were tasteless. Grrr. Now of course I have to go back to the post office to return the plug.

When doing my canning yesterday, I had chopped off ends of the asparagus so they would fit in the jars so I had about half a pound of ends which I am now going to make into Cream of Asparagus Soup. Got part way but didn't complete it, will do so tomorrow. We watched My Fair Lady in the evening, not seen it in a long while. Really enjoyed it. It has been restored apparently, certainly nothing wrong with the quality of the film.

Forgot to mention about driving to the asparagus farm. The original route I took was blocked off two years ago because they were repairing a bridge. I found another route and have followed that for the last two seasons then two weeks ago, I was almost there and, guess what, road closed. Luckily there is another route I knew, but I think someone has it in for either me, or Barrie's Asparagus Farm. I probably won't be going there again this year, will have to check the route before I go again next year.

I think I have the pickling bug, I just came across this recipe and thought aha. It isn't canned though, but even so...

Southern-Style Pickled Shrimp

1 Vidalia or sweet onion, thinly sliced
1 lemon, thinly sliced
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup capers with their juices
3/4 tsp celery seeds
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
Splash of Tabasco sauce, to taste
1 1/2 lbs (41/50 count) peeled and cooked shrimp

In a large bowl, combine the onions, lemon, cider vinegar, canola oil, capers, celery seeds, sugar, salt, and Tabasco. Add the shrimp and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 24 hours, stirring occasionally. Serve chilled. Keeps for at least a week.

Servings: 6

Source: Kitchn

Have a great day
 

12 comments:

  1. No wonder you were exhausted - and the stress of frustration wouldn't have helped any. I've always been wary of buying clothes on-line - not a standard shape or size - but my daughter does all the time. Maybe it's time I looked into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I am getting old Helen. Things one would have taken in stride years ago are tiring now. I can't seem to buy clothes on line at all.

      Delete
  2. I am mystified as to how your plugs do not fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird isn't it Denise? They plug into the wall but my appliances won't fit into them.

      Delete
  3. They do have services that will run errands for you.
    Weird how no plug works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know Alex, not sure I need them just yet, but...

      It is weird.

      Delete
  4. Life! Good luck sorting things out. The shrimp looks really good - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably need some good luck Hilary. Shrimp always looks good to me LOL

      Delete
  5. Never had asparagus soup, but I do like asparagus. Will have to see about trying some sometime. I'm such a homebody these days I have to really push myself to get out and run errands, etc.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I do all this during asparagus season Betty. That is just coming to an end right now. I hate to buy asparagus in the store as you have to throw so much of it away, about 2 inches off the ends.

      Delete
  6. I bought a pair of snake gaitors online a couple of years ago. They arrived and were a size for a five year old. That's the last item of clothing I bought online!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What on earth are snake gaitors Pinky. But don't give up, lots of people seem to be successful with buying clothes on line.

      Delete