Thursday, March 22, 2018

Thumb, Exercise Class, Bowling, Parking,

Went to see the surgeon on Wednesday morning. Having Xrayed my poorly thumb, he gave me a menu of options. At the bottom was leave it alone and cope with it for now, then various uses of pain killers, followed by injections which only lasted 3 months, which hurt like hell being administered and would, eventually, become less effective eventually, then another kind of injection which would last about a year, which would also hurt like hell when administered, and, finally, a replacement joint. I didn't know they could do that. In the end I decided it was not really drastic enough for me to go any other way than to leave it alone and, when necessary, take pain pills. Having risen at 6 a.m. this morning, it was all a bit of a waste of time really. I didn't sleep too well either which didn't help matters.

Came home and after lunch I headed down to exercise class. There were only three of us. We are trying to figure out ways to attract others to the classes. I think a lot of people think they can't do them because they perceive exercise as something strenuous and don't realise this is basically gentle exercise designed for seniors. Once upon a time we used to have 13 or 14 participants and now we are down to a fairly small number of regulars. Of course people moving to senior homes or nearer to their kids has taken a toll on our numbers sadly.

We then went to the bowling alley and played a couple of games, I won once and Matt won once. Just about to leave when a woman came in with some very noisy kids. Was glad we weren't staying. I guess the owners don't hear through the tinkling of money. Not that there is much they could do anyway. When we came home, we had to park in the back parking lot as there will be no exit or entry into the underground garage for about 4 hours extending into the time we normally leave for bowling. Not as chilly today as it was yesterday thank goodness. That is a very exposed parking lot. I don't know but assume they will be working on the garage door or something.

Another asparagus recipe, I am beginning to get excited that the season will soon be here. Saw one of the women I buy asparagus for and she is getting all excited too. She is almost as bad as I am about farm fresh  asparagus.

Asparagus, Strawberry and Quinoa Caprese Salad

2 cups cooked quinoa
1 tsp olive oil
30 spears asparagus, chopped into 1 inch pieces
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Salt and pepper
16 strawberries, sliced (about 12 ounces)
4.5 oz mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes
1/3 cup Simple Balsamic Vinaigrette
2 Tbs finely chopped fresh basil

1. Place the cooked quinoa in a large salad bowl.

2. Prepare the balsamic vinaigrette and set aside.

3. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Once heated, add the asparagus and garlic. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the asparagus is bright green and slightly tender, yet still has a little crunch.

4. Add the asparagus to the quinoa. Mix in the strawberries, mozzarella cheese, and the balsamic vinaigrette. Toss to combine. Top the salad with chopped fresh basil.

Servings: 7

Author: Krista
Source: Destination Delish

Have a great day
 

12 comments:

  1. The only time the sound of children bother me is when their folks bring them to a nice restaurant and do not control them. Otherwise, I love to hear them enjoying being kids. I'd definitely look into the black cherry and even the turmeric pills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind kids being kids but when they start shrieking that does bother me. Also, I agree with the nice restaurant comment Denise. Matt is already taking turmeric pills but I will look into black cherry too. I take an anti inflammatory but.....

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - glad you've got the options for your thumb and good luck with it for now. Take care and yes asparagus ... delicious - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary. I hope I don't have to go the injection way as they really hurt. Yes, another month before the fresh stuff is available here.

      Delete
  3. One of the reasons we no longer go tenpin bowling is that most UK centres make life difficult for the leagues (from whom they earn less money) and they concentrate on kids parties and works outings.

    We took our grand-daughter bowling recently and I was horrified to see that the staff turned a blind eye to people eating/drinking on the lanes and not wearing proper bowling shoes. Accident waiting to happen springs to mind!

    Hope your thumb doesn't cause you too much pain.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a pity Sue, they don't do that here thank goodness. Our alley has a league every afternoon (except Friday when they are not open til the evening) and I think they have a league every night too plus the juniors whom I think come in the mornings. They also have a lot of mentally handicapped people as well. They are constantly busy. However, at least two of the local alleys (5 pin) have closed down and become high rise buildings. I would have been horrified too.

      Off and on it does.

      Delete
  4. Loud kids drive me crazy but I really don't like loud anything anymore. When the TV is cranked I feel like I need to climb out of my skin. Cannot STAND it.

    I'm having thumb problems too and now I'm scared to get injections cause you said it's going to hurt really bad. But surgery's not really an option either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I had an injection into my knuckle JoJo, yes it hurt, but I have never had any pain there since, and that was 50 or so years ago. So if it's bad, go for it.

      Delete
  5. Sorry that you hurt.
    Loud kids, ugh.
    Asparagus, yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have an arthritic thumb too Jo. It's agonising sometimes. Using a computer makes it much worse. My handwriting has really deteriorated. I dread what the future holds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's really bad Pinky, you can, apparently, have the joint replaced (same as a hip replacement) although might be better to go with the injections first.

      Delete