Friday, March 2, 2018

Screen Protector, Bowling, Electronics,

Well after having had beautiful springlike weather yesterday when everyone was out in lightweight clothing and enjoying the sunshine, the temperature dropped 14° or so and today it was quite chilly and I wished I had a heavier coat on.

Having been bowling (I had 2 reasonable games, Matt not so much) I went into our local Walmart which is quite a small store. Much to my surprise, once I figured out where their electronic department was, I found screen protectors. I got a packet of 2 with a cleaning cloth for $10, much better deal than Amazon had. I was delighted. (Doesn't take much to delight me these days!). We then went to the Liquor Store and bought it up, well seemed like it anyway. Having paid for our bowling until mid month, it was quite an expensive afternoon, even if I saved at Walmart.

The Screen protector has some bubble in it but that is guaranteed to disappear in 24 hours. Actually, once you turn on the screen, you can't see them anyway.

Having trouble with door opening gadgets. The one for our garage door isn't working, needs a new battery which I had to wait for, then the one for the car seems to be low on power too. It would not open the trunk but did open the doors. It opened the trunk OK on Tuesday!! Not sure if it needs a battery and if so how you put one in. Will have to check with the garage. We have a second one which has never been used, so if it has any power, I don't know at the moment. Need to go down to the garage and test it out I guess.

I am hungry for some shrimp lately, we both miss the shrimp we used to get in North Carolina, straight from the ocean, it had so much flavour. But I guess beggars can't be choosers. It also occurs to me, much as I like spinach, I have asparagus pesto already made, which would probably work with this too.

Spinach Pesto Pasta with Shrimp

Pesto is a great big-batch sauce for using up a mix of herbs and greens, but it tends to go army-green if made ahead. We quickly blanch spinach and basil to preserve the color without diluting flavor, then bump up the green with fresh parsley. A little chopped tomato adds moisture and mild acidity. Be sure to press the plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pesto to keep it from browning. A simple
shrimp and asparagus pasta toss lets the pesto shine; you could also use chicken breast, broccoli florets, or haricots verts.

Pesto:
2 cups packed fresh baby spinach
1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup seeded chopped plum tomato
6 Tbs chopped toasted walnuts
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 oz Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/3 cup)
1 garlic clove, chopped
2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil

Pasta:
8 oz uncooked whole-wheat penne pasta
1 lb fresh asparagus, cut into 2-in. pieces
1 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs unsalted butter
1 lb large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup halved multicolored grape tomatoes
1/4 tsp kosher salt

1. To prepare pesto, bring a large saucepan filled with water to a boil. Add spinach and basil; cook 20 seconds. Remove spinach mixture to a bowl filled with ice water (reserve water in pan); let stand 30 seconds. Drain and pat dry with paper towels.

2. Place parsley and next 7 ingredients (through garlic) in food processor; process until finely chopped. Add spinach mixture and 2 tablespoons oil; process to combine. Place 3/4 cup pesto in a small bowl; place plastic wrap directly on pesto. Reserve for Pesto Chicken with Blistered Tomatoes and Vegetable Soup au Pisto.

3. To prepare pasta, return water in pan to a boil. Add pasta; cook according to package directions, adding asparagus during last 5 minutes of cooking. Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 3/4 cup cooking liquid.

4. Heat 1 tablespoon oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high until butter melts. Sprinkle shrimp with red pepper and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Add shrimp to pan; cook 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until done. Remove shrimp from pan.

5. Add pasta mixture and reserved 3/4 cup cooking liquid to pan; cook 1 minute. Stir in remaining 6 tablespoons pesto, shrimp, grape tomatoes, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Divide pasta mixture evenly among 4 bowls.

Servings: 4

Source: CookingLight

Have a great day
 

9 comments:

  1. I've only ever had to replace the battery in a car key fob once. It was for my crappy Jag - an electronic nightmare on wheels. But now that you mention it, my current car is going on 10 years old and I wonder how long those batteries last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crappy Jag??? Only trouble is we can't figure how to open the things Denise. I guess we'll have to work at it. I don't know how long they last either. Quite a long time though.

      Delete
    2. It was the car from hell. My dream car and I couldn't wait to get rid of it.

      Delete
  2. Probably is the battery.
    We're windy and cold today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess so Alex.

      We did get snow last night, as forecast, but not much. Didn't even settle on the roads.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo - yes warmish here yesterday - now surrounded by zillions of droplets!! Might get to snow ... not like England though. Hope the car things sort themselves out. Love the idea of the shrimp and spinach ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is down to 0°C today, might go up 1°. I actually prefer snow to rain Hilary. Looks nicer and doesn't make me feel miserable.

      Yes, sounds good doesn't it?

      Delete
  4. I do miss being able to eat shrimp. We're getting lashed with a wicked nor'easter today. Thankfully it's mild or else this would be a blizzard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember those nor'easters JoJo. Nearly lost Matt in one, he got caught in a beach surge. They are as bad as hurricanes but don't get the publicity. Batten down the hatches and stay inside.

      Delete