Monday, March 5, 2018

Saturday Supper, League, Oscars,

Saturday supper I tried out a new recipe for lamb chops with an olive sauce. What a waste of time. We were disappointed. That will certainly never make it to our "to be done again" list. Pity, 'cos it sounded good. It's a nuisance when you have spent a fair amount of time following a recipe and it turns out to be no good. Not happened to me often, thank goodness.

An odd thing happened to me at the end of last week, I got an email asking if I wanted to sell this blog. The company sounded genuine, but I really don't know what it was they wanted. Weird I thought. Once I am away from this blog it isn't the same blog and I assume those of you who followed me wouldn't continue to follow a company blog. Not only that, I would then want to start another blog anyway. So what's the point?

Did you watch the Oscars? As we are completely out of touch with movies these days, we certainly didn't. I don't know who any of the artists are any more and certainly don't know anything about the movies. I have always been more interested in the banquets they serve after. Particularly the things offered by Wolfgang Puck. I read his offerings for this year, they sound delicious. Other years I have seen some of his recipes and even tried one or two, but not see them this year.

Today of course is our Monday League and I hope I can bowl well. Guess I try too hard on Mondays. I should just relax and enjoy it.

I have often seen recipes for cooking lettuce one way or another, but never tried it. I thought this one looked good though. So maybe I will have a go.

Vietnamese Style Grilled Romaine With Feta

Chef Bill Kim uses fresh minced chiles in his bigger batch of nuoc cham in Korean BBQ. This recipe calls for crushed red pepper for convenience, since it's only 1/8 teaspoon in our adaptation.

3 romaine lettuce hearts, halved lengthwise
2 Tbs olive oil
4 tsp water
2 tsp light brown sugar
2 tsp fresh lime juice
2 tsp fish sauce
1/4 tsp minced garlic
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
1 oz feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/4 cup)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1. Preheat grill to medium-high (about 450°F).

2. Brush romaine halves evenly with oil. Place lettuce, cut sides down, on grates; grill 1 minute and 30 seconds. Turn lettuce; grill until lightly charred, about 1 minute and 30 seconds.

3. Place lettuce on a platter. Stir together 4 teaspoons water and next 5 ingredients (though red pepper) in a small bowl until sugar dissolves. Drizzle over lettuce. Top with cheese and cilantro.

Servings: 6

Source: Cooking Light

Have a great day
 

8 comments:

  1. They wanted to buy your blog? How odd.
    We did end up watching some of the Oscars, which weren't as political as previous years. Didn't stay up for it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Alex.

      I heard there was some political stuff at the end.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - I've had similar emails ... that I ignore = wiser. I sort of watched the Oscars along with family commitments ... and didn't watch the denouement ... but will read about it today. It was good to see in its time frame, rather than from the UK - when I didn't ever stay up - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting that you and I had similar emails Hilary, I haven't heard of anyone else being asked if they wanted to sell.

      Haven't watched the Oscars for a long while, never go to the cinema (theatre over here) anyway although I do rent or even buy DVDs.

      Delete
  3. I haven't watched the oscars in years. I don't like these vacuous self congratulatory award shows. The excess is disgusting.

    One time I made a recipe for chicken with feta sauce that was awful. Feta does not melt well at all and it was just too strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to enjoy it JoJo, but lost interest these days.

      In this case you don't melt the feta, just sprinkle it on at the end so one could sub any cheese.

      Delete
  4. No one has ever asked to buy my blog. Funny that ;) This is the first year I haven't watched the Oscars. I agree about the politics being boring. They should stick to acting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually they just asked if I was interested in selling. They said they wanted an established blog Pinky. As Denise found out, they already have a blog!!! Much too simple to just stick to that.

      Delete