Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Orthopaedics, Asparagus

Damn, just come back from the Fracture Clinic. The surgeon had mentioned a colleague who dealt with arthritic thumbs(which I have) so thought I would get the name for a referral. He told me and referred me instantly and I have to go in at 8:30 tomorrow morning. Matt is now all clear although obviously he is likely to have some discomfort for a while. As for my thumb, it is possible they will inject into the knuckle which is something I had done maybe 50 years ago and I have never forgotten the pain. Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut. Especially at 8:30!! The nurse told me I could come in later if I wished. I think I will go in early just to get it over with. Luckily it is not my bowling hand.

So, as I am getting up super early, for me anyway, this is a short blog and I will be heading to bed.

Of course, farm fresh asparagus and rhubarb will not be available here for another month or so, depending on the weather. But having seen this recipe, I had to save and share. However, it doesn't tell you how much asparagus to use, so I suppose that is up to your preference. If it were me it would be a large pile of them. Especially as I have been waiting such a long time to get some more farm fresh asparagus.

Asparagus with Rhubarb Hollandaise

2 lbs 1-1/4 cup finely diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
1/3 cup sugar
2 sprig fresh tarragon
2 large egg yolks
3 Tbs lemon juice
½ cup melted butter
salt and pepper
butter for saute pan
chopped chives, for garnish

1. Bring a pot of water up to a boil and salt generously. Trim asparagus and add to water. Blanch, uncovered, until tender (check by tasting – time will vary depending on thickness of asparagus). Once tender drain and shock in a bowl with ice and water to halt cooking. Strain and chill until ready to serve.

2. For hollandaise, stir rhubarb, sugar and tarragon sprigs in a pot over medium heat. Simmer until rhubarb is just tender, about 10 minutes. Remove tarragon and keep warm (but not hot).

3. To assemble Hollandaise, whisk egg yolks and lemon juice over a pot of gently simmering water until they hold a ribbon when the whisk is lifted. Whisk in rhubarb mixture to warm. Remove bowl from heat and gradually whisk in melted butter (try to avoid adding white solids that have settled to the bottom of the butter). Season to taste and keep warm (hollandaise should be prepared as close to serving as possible)

4. To heat asparagus, simply warm in a sauté pan over medium-low heat with butter and season lightly. Place warm asparagus on a platter and spoon hollandaise over. Garnish with chives and serve immediately.

Servings: 6

Author: Anna Olson
Source: Food Network


Have a great day
 

6 comments:

  1. I take black cherry tablets for my arthritis and have done so for many years. Don't know if that is what has helped, but I have no pain compared to when I started. My mother had terrible arthritis in her hands. Good luck with your shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard of black cherry tablets Denise. Must see if I can find them. Didn't have a shot in the end. Surgeon and I decided to leave it for now.

      Delete
  2. I'm hoping injections are a lot less painful than they were 50 years ago! Cause i'm looking to hopefully get one myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping the same thing JoJo, but the surgeon didn't reassure me.

      Delete
  3. Hope you're not in to much pain today.

    Farm fresh for the win!

    ReplyDelete