Monday, March 12, 2018

Etymology no Semantics, DST, A Wrinkle in Time, Vehicle,

Just learned a new word. A comment on Susan's blog Susan Says apparently the Japanese have a word for it! Tsundoku which means people who buy more books than they can read in their lifetime. What a great word. I am definitely one and I am sure most of the people I know in the blogging world qualify. I now find that actually etymology really the means the study of the origin of words and how they have changed and developed, so I guess my title is incorrect. Gotta find out what the correct word is now.  OK, seems to be Semantics. There you are, I have learned two word uses in one paragraph LOL.

I arose shortly after 8 on Sunday morning and couldn't understand why Matt wasn't watching Good Morning America. He informed me it was shortly after 9 and that the clocks had gone forward. I had completely forgotten about it. I am not even quite sure I knew it was this weekend. What a dope. Just as well it happens at the weekend although it probably wouldn't affect us much but if people who were still at work had to put up with the clocks changing during the week. Funny we were discussing it recently on My Life in Retirement and yet I still didn't latch on.

I have just finished reading A Wrinkle in Time. What a delightful little story. I think I will have to get the rest of this author's books. They are meant for kids of course, but I enjoyed it. This edition even included pictures from the movie.

Monday, of course, is league bowling. Tuesday I have to take the car in for service. Shouldn't cost anything as we have accumulated lots of points. However, I will have to sit there for about half an hour because they don't have anyone to run me home. Not worth asking someone to pick me up.

This seems like a simple but tasty dish.

Chicken with Rosemary Butter Sauce

Sauteed chicken breasts smothered in a creamy rosemary butter sauce. Ready in 20 minutes or less!

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
4 Tbs butter, divided
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 Tbs minced fresh rosemary

1. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in 1 tablespoon butter 4-5 minutes on each side until golden brown and cooked through. Remove to a plate and keep warm.

2. Add chicken broth to pan and stir to loosen any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the cream and bring the sauce to a simmer. Continue to cook and stir until slightly thickened, 3-5 minutes.

3. Stir in the minced rosemary and the remaining butter until butter is melted. Return chicken to pan for an additional 2-3 minutes. Spoon sauce over top just before serving.

Servings: 4

Author: Danelle
Source: Let's Dish

Have a great day
 

20 comments:

  1. DST. I sent an email to the radio station yesterday asking them to tell their reporter that we were not having an extra hour of daylight. What idiots! I may just have to vent in another post about this.
    I can't say I have more books that I can read unless it is coffee table books. I have lots of those with beautiful pictures. The movie review of AWIT was quite scathing. Never read the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bad phrasing I guess Denise. We rarely have the radio on at the weekend as it is aimed at all the ethnic groups.

      I have a Kindle full of books I may never get round to. I enjoyed the book not really seen any reviews of the movie but then I never take any notice of reviews anyway. I rarely agree with them.

      Delete
    2. Charlie just got dropped off a little while ago cause everyone in the house overslept. DST sucks.

      Delete
    3. Guess they need alarm clocks Denise.

      Delete
    4. They have a baby! Even she overslept.

      Delete
    5. Funny. Who looks after the baby Denise?

      Delete
    6. She is in daycare. One is enough for me, lol.

      Delete
    7. Won't be too much longer before Charlie goes to school will it?

      Delete
  2. I certainly have more books than I can read.
    Glad the US and Canada both change their times on the same day.
    Glad you enjoyed the book. The movie isn't faring so well with the critics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So now you have a new name for yourself Alex.
      Never really understood why the US changed it anyway but we followed because it made sense.
      No, so I gather, great little story though.

      Delete
  3. I didn't know it was this weekend until we went to bed. We were in most of the weekend and most of our clocks move ahead on their own. So ... I didn't even think about it, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately several of ours don't change on their own Ivy, the coffee pot, the stove, etc. Even our alarm clock doesn't. Not that we use that very often.

      Delete
    2. Shades of retirement Ivy.

      Delete
  4. I have a lot of books on my Kindle which I started but never finished. I have two cases full of classics which I've read, but I really don't buy books anymore. I get them on Kindle and don't read them. Saving trees...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same Pinky, don't buy books any more, well rarely, but I do have a lot of stuff on my Kindle which I haven't read. Did you know you can lend Kindle books to other Kindle readers? Or have them lent to you.

      Delete
  5. Hi Jo - I still don't mind DST ... but I know many don't ... I just like change = I think. Books ... yes I'm building up a few here ... still it's making me read a bit more than usual. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't actually mind it Hilary, but don't see the point any more, it was originally a wartime thing.

      I read constantly but never seem to get to the end of my TBR pile.

      Delete
  6. I've read that book but I really should. I was so into Narnia, Earthsea and Prydain when I was a kid. This one never made it into my collection. I really hate daylight savings time. I want to stay on standard time year round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you mean haven't JoJo? It is a delightful little story. Never heard of Prydain. Yes, I agree about DST.

      Delete