Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Bowling, Reading, Skin Cancer, Beautiful Sea Goddess,

Well I am pleased to say that I managed to increase my average again. I don't know the standings yet until we go next time, but at least I went up one point. Unfortunately two of our team didn't show today, no idea why, so we only took one game, lost the other two.

I have been reading myself stupid lately, all my holds at the library came at once, plus a book I had promised to proof for a friend and so on, and so on. I have only one library book left now thank goodness. I have been reading David Baldacci's Camel Club books which I have thoroughly enjoyed. I must admit I am ready for a change of topic so I now have a romance novel to read for a friend so that will make a nice change.

Tuesday afternoon we have to go to the Plastic Surgeon's to get Matt's basel cells looked at. Bit of a nuisance because we normally shop on Tuesday afternoon so have to do it in the morning.


This is fascinating to me, the Spotted Comb Jelly has been "grown" by the Monterey Aquarium, the first to do so. It is so delicate that just waving a hand in the water would destroy it. It's Latin name,  Leucothea pulchra means Beautiful Sea Goddess. It is fascinating reading.

As you probably realise I am very fond of smoked salmon and this recipe appealed to me.

Smoked Salmon Tartines with Fried Capers

½ small red onion, very thinly sliced
? cup Champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 Tbs capers, rinsed, patted dry
8 slices country-style bread, toasted or grilled
1 cup crème fraîche
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 lb hot-smoked salmon, flaked
1 Tbs chopped fresh chives
Olive oil (for drizzling)

1. Toss onion and vinegar in a small bowl; let stand at least 1 hour to pickle.

2. Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Working in 2 batches, fry capers until opened and crisp, about 30 seconds. Drain on paper towels.

3. Spread toasts with crème fraîche and season with salt and pepper. Top with smoked salmon, drained pickled red onion, fried capers, and chives; drizzle with oil.

4. DO AHEAD: Onion can be pickled 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.

Servings: 4

Source: Bon Appétit

Have a great day
 

10 comments:

  1. I hope Matt's hospital visit goes well.
    I will have to read up on the Beautiful Sea Goddess!
    I'm partial to a bit of smoked salmon too!
    That's Purrfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat.
      It is interesting reading.
      Yummy, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. I wonder how well that jellyfish survives in the wild.
    Hope everything goes well today at the surgeon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes no sense really Alex. If you can destroy it so easily. Maybe there are millions and maybe they are very tiny.

      Thanks. I don't think they will be doing anything today.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo - jellyfish looks amazing - but so delicate. Good luck with the visit and Matt ... love the salmon idea - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As Alex said Hilary, one wonders how they survive in the wild.

      Think it's just a consultation today. Sounds yummy doesn't it?

      Delete
  4. Good luck to Matt at his appointment! Before I read the text about the jellyfish, the GIF made me think of the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Then I read what you said!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JoJo. You were right, it was Monterey Bay.

      Delete
  5. That jellyfish reminds me of someone I know. What a sook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had to Google sook Pinky. I think the jellyfish is gorgeous if fragile.

      Delete