Friday, January 19, 2018

Noodles, No Bowling, Marijuana, Walking.

Now and again I have a Noodle Bowl for lunch and this week I tried a new type for which I had to provide my own bowl. Nong Shim Kimchi. They were delicious and I will certainly be buying them again. Not sure how healthy they are, but for an occasional treat..... I'm not sure this is quite the right package but having thrown mine away I have nothing to compare with. However, I have had Nong Shim noodles before so I knew they would be good. I often wonder if there is some Asian in me somewhere because I am so fond of these noodles. I would like to do one of those ancestry tests. Too expensive at the moment, but I do know one thing I was told by the hospital years ago, I have a double length colon which is unusual for Westerners and quite usual for Indians and other Asians from that part of the world. Makes me wonder.

I was deprived of bowling today, boo hoo. I seem to have a bit of a bad knee plus I had very little sleep last night as, for some reason, I kept getting leg cramps and having to get up and drink some tonic, the quinine usually helps although it wasn't doing a lot for me last night. I got so sick of tonic water I almost wanted to throw up. So for something easy we are having what I call Leftover Chicken and Ham although it originally started with Turkey and was a recipe by Paul Hollywood of Great British Bakeshow fame. As I have said, I buy a rotisserie chicken and make this dish, without the pastry that Paul did. It really is delicious and freezes really well. I think I will have to be making more soon.

I heard from the Cannabis lab who said I could fax them the doctor's referral so I did. My friend said it took 2 weeks to even hear from her lab so I guess I am lucky. You then, apparently, have to complete a very extensive questionnaire which they use to take into consideration as to whether you should be allowed the Marijuana.

Matt just did 6 laps along the corridor outside our apartment so things are looking up. He still will not do the exercises without prompting. I call it prompting, he probably thinks of it as nagging LOL.

Although I am not working any more, I am always looking for different breakfasts and for those of you who do eat breakfast I am sure these will appeal. I like the idea of doing them beforehand as I often find myself thinking about what to cook myself in the mornings.

Microwave Breakfast Sandwiches

You’re running out the door, slightly late for work, with a thermos dripping with coffee and a half-unwrapped granola bar in your mouth. If this sounds like just another day in the life, you need these make-ahead egg sandwiches in your life. Take less than an hour one night or weekend to make a batch (or 5) and be prepared with a real breakfast for days.

Crack a whole carton of eggs into a bowl and beat them with salt, pepper, and a splash of milk if you
like. If you have some on hand, toss in chopped parsley or chives. Pour the eggs into a well-greased baking dish or muffin tin and bake them until just firm. Meanwhile, cook a mess of bacon, sausage or ham and set the meat aside. When the eggs are cooked, lay them onto a toast a bunch of English muffin with slice of cheese and a couple pieces of the cooked meat. Stack the sandwiches a container, then tuck them into the freezer. When you’re ready to eat, pull out a sandwich, wrap it in a damp paper towel, then tightly in parchment paper, and pop it in the microwave. In just about 2 minutes you’ll be out the door, sandwich in hand.

6 large eggs
½ cup whole milk
1 tsp kosher salt
½ tsp black pepper
1 lb cooked bacon or breakfast sausage, or 8 ounces leftover roasted veggies
4 oz shredded sharp Cheddar, Swiss, or mozzarella (about 1 cup)
Cooking spray
6 English muffins, split and toasted

Yield: 6 sandwiches


Author: Rebecca Firkser
Source: Extra Crispy



Have a great day
 

10 comments:

  1. Just keep nagging him to do his exercises.
    Eat more bananas. The potassium helps fight leg cramps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will/do Alex. I eat a banana every day. Normally I don't get cramps like I did the other night.

      Delete
  2. Well, you might become a pot head in and out of the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For football players, they drink a bit of dill pickle juice. It seems to help the best. I think it may be the vinegar, so if you want to avoid the salt, you could try a cup of vinegar. I'll drink pickle juice when my bowel starts to behave badly. I have irritable bowel and it will spasm and be a problem. The pickle juice seems to be the best solution to the cramping. When people first recommended it, I thought they were crazy. But it works, so I use it for leg and belly cramps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting Liz, never heard that before. Don't have any dill pickles, will have to get some unless it is any pickles? Tonic water has always worked pretty well before but not the other night.

      Delete
  4. It kills me that you have to jump through hoops to get medical pot, but addictive and dangerous opiate drugs are dispensed without a second glance. Geez. That's so cool about the possibility you might have some Asian in you. I want to do a DNA test too. I have grown up thinking I am exactly 50% Italian and 50% Portuguese. That said, my father's heritage past his parents is a real question mark. He was from British Guyana but the story was his family had emigrated from either the Canary Islands or Isle of Madeira. So for all I know, there could be North African in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I suppose they want to be sure I really need it and am not just a pot smoker trying to get a free ride JoJo. Well Denise from My Life in Retirement thought she had an Italian background, turns out there isn't much Italian in it.

      Delete
  5. My mother just had her DNA test results back and apparently she IS my mother! Haha. I think it's very accurate. It's discovered unknown 1st cousins who I've since traced through the family tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased to hear that. Always nice to have it confirmed Pinky. Interesting about your cousins. I would love to do it but....

      Delete