Friday, January 26, 2018

Medical, Phone, Tablet,

Sorry no Thursday blog, but having been awake for such a long time on Wed. morning worrying about the surgeon and Matt's foot, I ended up going to bed VERY early. Although funnily enough I am still tired.

I finally heard from the surgeon's office. We were told Matt could wean his foot out of his air cast (he hadn't been wearing it for 2 1/2 days) as he had told us. He most certainly didn't tell us anything of the sort. His instructions were to start wearing shoes and Matt could do anything he liked, such as bowling. Anyway, the physiotherapist was here today and she agrees with us that as Matt has not been suffering much pain from his ankle, if any, he can leave the boot off, unless he starts feeling a lot of pain. She got him doing his exercises including a new one and I think she has got through to him how important they are. I hope anyway. I got him to do them all again later in the day. Long may it last. We both went to the bowling alley on Wednesday afternoon and Matt tried a couple of balls but felt his balance was off so he stopped. As an aside to Helen Venn who is also wearing a boot, Matt's fracture was not a very major one which is probably why it has healed so well, so quickly.

As for bowling I averaged one point below my recorded Monday average but I only bowled two games. I wonder what would have happened if I had bowled all three. I am being a bit inconsistent, I
bowled a 125 and a 179 today. Quite a difference.

Matt has always had trouble with electronics of any kind and having left him a few times knowing he probably couldn't remember how to call my cell phone, I decided to buy a phone he could use. Actually I thought it was a good idea, I can put pix of me (cell phone) and his daughters on there and maybe a local friend.

Been having trouble with my Tablet lately too and now it seems to not be taking a charge any more. Looking at one at Walmart which would do me. Still gonna cost me $100 bucks though. Holding off for the moment.

I had a recipe all lined up and then I came across this tonight and thought it sounded delicious. Maybe not for breakfast but lunch or even supper. I would certainly eat it for breakfast but not sure I could be bothered to make it at that time of day.

Rafanata

1. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil, then toss in 2 peeled Russet potatoes. Cook the potatoes
for 10 minutes, then fish them out of the water and turn off the heat. Let the potatoes cool a bit, then move them to a cutting board. Slice the potatoes very thinly (think less than ¼-inch).

2. Heat a large skillet with plenty of olive oil over medium high heat. Fry the potato slices until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Depending on how large your pan is, you may need to fry the potatoes in shifts. When the potatoes are golden brown, turn them out onto a plate lined with paper towels. Wipe out the skillet and set aside.

3. In a large bowl, beat 6 eggs with ½ cup water, ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, and 2 tablespoons jarred horseradish. Season the mixture with ½ teaspoon kosher salt and black pepper. Drop the fried potato slices into the egg mixture and stir until fully incorporated.

4. Heat 2 tablespoons more olive oil in the skillet over medium, then pour in the egg and potato mixture. Let the mixture cook for at least 5 minutes before checking underneath to make sure it’s cooking. Now, with confidence, flip the rafanata out onto a plate so the cooked side is exposed (the best way to do this is to place a large dinner plate over the pan, then flip the pan, catching the rafanata). Slide the rafanata back into the pan, cooked side up, and cook for another 3-5 minutes.

5. Slide the rafanata out onto a serving plate and slice into wedges. Serve with sour cream, mustard, or solo.

Source: Extra Crispy

Have a great day
 

16 comments:

  1. Hope Matt is better soon. That phone looks very practical for a non-techy. And your recipe is making me feel hungry!
    That's Purrfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patricia. I hope it will fill the bill. I just can't imagine anyone being non-techy, but Matt certainly fits that description. It does sound good doesn't it?

      Delete
  2. I left a nasty review on Amazon about a Kindle that would not charge. This is the second time I have had that happen. The port get wonky and the connection does not happen. I guess they read their reviews cause they got back to me trying to help. Hope you get your tablet to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not an Amazon tablet unfortunately Denise and the company I bought it from, years ago, has now gone out of business. So far, touch wood, my Kindle is fine. I have one of the original ones.

      Delete
  3. Hope Matt continues his exercises.
    We haven't had a land line for several years now. I don't miss it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Alex.

      Trouble is Matt would be totally unconnected without one although until I get this new phone, he is anyway.

      Delete
  4. My Dad bought my mother a very basic phone because she hates using technology. Your recipe reminds me of Fritata.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt too Pinky. It is a bit like fritata, but not exactly the same.

      Delete
  5. Hi Jo - I do hope Matt helps you by doing his exercises, and thus helps himself. Love the thought of the Rafanata - never thought about adding horseradish cream to this sort of dish ... I'll remember and try sometime - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he finally understands the importance Hilary.Me too, I must try it in the near future.

      Delete
  6. That recipe sounds amazing! I love potatoes and eggs mixed. I hope Matt stays motivated to do his exercises. It's so easy to slack off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does sound good JoJo, you're right. I hope he stays motivated too.

      Delete
  7. Might be the difference in the fracture. Lucky Matt to be out of the boot. As far as phones go Matt sounds like my husband. I got him a very basic phone a few years ago and he makes calls on it but that’s as far as it goes while I’d be lost without my smart phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems so Helen. He is doing fine without his boot. Got more trouble with a bunion on his other foot!! Isn't it odd how one can be techy and the other doesn't have a clue.

      Delete
  8. Glad Matt's foot is feeling better. Wearing those boot things are not fun but they're better than a cast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, unfortunately he says his foot, not ankle, is painful. I don't know why. Yes, those boots are better than a cast.

      Delete