Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Just a Quickie

We were all ready and waiting for the Physiotherapist who was half an hour late. Just as well I cancelled my lunch date today She gave Matt more exercises to do, simple ones, and doesn't plan to return until after he has been to the fracture clinic on the 23rd.

Meanwhile I decided to call the hospital about Matt's missing health card. I am so glad I did, everyone denies any knowledge of it. I spoke to Emergency, Triage, Patient Accounts and then, I think, Patient assistance or something. She has been trying to trace the card but to date with no luck. So now I have to go to the Social Services office and get a temp one. Grrrr.

After lunch I went grocery shopping and spent way more than expected!! I thought we only wanted a few things. I think we will have to give up eating at this rate. By the time I got back I was exhausted.

This is a cake I got from an English TV Cook, Fannie Cradock whom I used to watch regularly when we live in the UK. She was famous for always wearing the most extravagant clothes and never wearing an apron when she cooked. I made it a few times and always decorated it with home made marzipan roses. They are actually very easy to make. I must admit I haven't made this cake in years but it was very rich and made a wonderful dessert. I went back in my blogs to find a recipe from a long time ago.

Gateau l'Ambassadeur


Fanny Cradock 

1/2 lb best possible chocolate (70% or higher if you can get it) 
3 1/2 oz. sifted icing sugar (confectioner's sugar) 
3 tbs double cream (heaviest cream you can get in North America, probably whipping cream) 
2 eggs, separated 
2 oz peeled grapes 
3 tbs kirsch 
1 tbs water 
3 1/2 oz unsalted butter 
3 1/2 oz crumbled petit beurre biscuits (cookies) 

Place biscuits in a small bowl, add kirsch and leave to infuse. Place water and chocolate in a small, thick pan and dissolve over a low heat. Stir well until quite smooth, then remove from heat. Cut the butter into small flakes and stir into the chocolate until completely dissolved. Add the egg yolks and beat until mixture is again smooth. Stir in the sugar, blend thoroughly, add stiffly whipped egg whites and beat (I would have thought fold, but she says beat) them in until they vanish. Add the soaked biscuits and grapes. Finally add the cream. Turn into a 5" oiled, sliding-based cake tin, being careful to line the base with a fitting circle of oiled greaseproof (waxed) paper. Refrigerate until set, turn out, remove paper and garnish


Have a great day
 

14 comments:

  1. When I got to 'peeled grapes' I said 'nope'. Ir does sound good though - flourless chocolate cake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't tell anyone Denise, but I used to omit the grapes. It didn't appeal to me either.

      Delete
  2. Can one buy peeled grapes?? Hoping because this dessert sounds good. I hope you have everything and don't have to go grocery shopping until next week. I also hope Matt remembers the exercises

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so Birgit, never heard of them. I would guess you can peel them like tomatoes, dip in boiling water.

      So do I. Supposed to get ice pellets and freezing rain soon. He did do exercises today, not sure how many in total, but he did do some.

      Delete
  3. That cake looks sinfully delicious. I had to look up kirsch though! Never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious JoJo, not sure how much sin was involved though LOL. No you don't hear of Kirsch much on this side of the pond.

      Delete
  4. I have spent a heap of money this month buying groceries for all my guests. It certainly adds up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No guests Pinky and still spend a fortune.

      Delete
  5. Hi Jo,

    I hope Matt continues to be on the mend and oh my, aggravating bureaucracy.

    Ah yes, a Fanny Craddock recipe. A tempting recipe that screams calories.

    Thanks, Jo.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good old Fanny. I always felt so sorry for her old man. They have found the card Gary, I'm pleased to say.

      Delete
  6. I am aware of Fannie! Thank you YouTube.
    Groceries. Ack on the cost and the just getting a few things.
    Sorry about the health card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That surprises me Ivy. Haven't heard about her in years. Yes, groceries are going through the roof lately. They have found the card.

      Delete