Monday, January 29, 2018

Cooking, Water Crisis, Techy Problems, First Blog,

Friday evening I completely forgot about doing a post for Saturday. Not sure if it's tiredness or just senility LOL. I did cook the Slow Roasted Salmon in Parchment Paper which turned out pretty well, we both enjoyed it. Saturday was a Hot and Sour Pork recipe from Closet Kitchen. It was good too. Although I found flouring the pork with egg and cornstarch was a bit harassing to say the least. I decided to do a Chinese recipe for cabbage with it, which wasn't so good, it tasted fine, it just was too uncooked. Completely raw would have been edible but part cooked made it as tough as old boots. I decided the cabbage at least wanted steaming.

I just read that Cape Town in South Africa is expecting to run out of water in the not too distant future. They have apparently been having a water crisis since 2015 but now it is becoming super serious. This is a warning of things to come; every nature documentary I see these days talks about the lack of snow in the mountains together with shrinking glaciers which means our water sources are getting lower and lower. Damning is also causing lots of problems on many rivers and large lakes are shrinking to nothing. Until recently the Colorado River no longer reached the sea. I believe that has been changed and now some water gets through. Sorry, unbelievers, but global warming does exist and the effects are beginning to be felt everywhere. I have no particular wish to die you understand, but I often experience a feeling of relief that I am not going to be here when a lot of our human made problems come to a head.

The marijuana lab called me with an appointment on Wednesday so we will see what happens there. However, I am now being given to understand that it is quite expensive to go onto medical marijuana and I don't know if our insurance will cover the cost. If not, I guess that's the end of it for me. Naive of me but I thought the government would include it on the drugs they help pay for. I also hope our insurance will do so instead.

Life is being very frustrating for me lately, my printer keeps only printing half of a document and then apparently seizing up and the mouse on my laptop causes the cursor to wander where and when it will. It appears both problems have been experienced by many but I cannot seem to find a reliable cure.

Reading my very first blog this weekend, I see I included a recipe. I didn't realise that I would be posting so many recipes, I had no clear idea what I wanted to write about when I started. I also just made my half year Blog Book and looking at one of the recipes I published was horrified at the typos. I tend just to copy a recipe and rarely think to check them. Maybe I should, I realise I make typos anyway, (caught a few here before I published) but this recipe was full of them.

This is, once again, a recipe I got from Closet Cooking. I really don't know how Kevin Lynch has time to cook and photograph as much as he does, but those recipes I have tried have always been excellent. He describes  this one as quick and easy, maybe if you choose optional for the cornstarch, I didn't, and found it a bit of a pain, however, it was actually well worth it.

Sweet and Sour Pork

A quick and easy homemade sweet and sour pork that is so much better than takeout!

2 Tbs oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup cornstarch (optional)
1 lb pork (butt, shoulder, loin or tenderloin), cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 red pepper, sliced
1 cup pineapple, sliced
3 Tbs honey
3 Tbs rice vinegar or white vinegar (I used white wine vinegar)
3 Tbs ketchup (optional)
1 Tbs soy sauce
1 tsp chilli sauce such as sambal oelek or sriracha
1/4 cup pineapple juice or chicken broth (I used white wine)
1 clove garlic, grated
1 tsp ginger, grated
1 Tbs water
1 Tbs cornstarch
1 tsp sesame oil
1/4 cup green onion, sliced

1. Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, dip the pork in the egg, dredge in the cornstarch, add it to the pan, and cook until lightly golden brown and crispy, about 2-4 minutes per side before setting aside. (Work in batches.)

2. Add the red pepper and pineapple and cook until just tender but still crisp, about 2 minutes.

3. Add the mixture of the honey, vinegar, ketchup, chilli sauce, pineapple juice, garlic, ginger, the mixture of the water and the corn starch along with the pork, toss to coat and cook until the sauce thickens, about a minute.

4. Remove from heat, mix in the sesame oil and serve garnished with sliced green onions.

5. Option: Replace the pork with chicken.

6. Option: Use vegetables your favourite vegetables.

Servings: 4

Author: Kevin Lynch
Source: Closet Kitchen

Have a great day
 

16 comments:

  1. Best typo I ever saw was a notice from the bankruptcy court in our area of a 'pubic' auction. Cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was actually carved into a headstone or memorial stone once Denise. I saw the picture. Bit difficult to alter!!!

      Delete
  2. Sorry about your computer issues.
    I guess you were destined to post recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex, they are proving to be a pain in the butt.

      I guess I was.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo - typos happen to us ... so good luck with picking them up. Cape Town has been struggling - I hope it all comes good for them. Also hope the appointment goes well this week - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't they just Hilary. I didn't realise they were having a struggle before. I cancelled the appointment, didn't realise how much it was going to cost me.

      Delete
  4. Water issues don't need to be 'issues'. It falls from the sky on an almost daily basis, and flooding is a problem. They build pipelines for oil and gas, why not for the capture, storage, and delivery of water? Especially in areas that get regular flooding. They did it in city Petra, centuries ago. They built that fantastic site from top to bottom and took into consideration the regular floods. They built pipeline and cisterns, why can't 'we' do the same?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not that simple Yolanda, the world is drying up and soon there won't be water falling from the sky at all. It has already decreased witness the 'thinness' of the snow caps plus the glaciers are melting and lakes are shrinking. We won't be here to see it, but one day.....

      Delete
  5. I'm not sure how many insurance companies here cover medical marijuana. Probably not many.

    We've had one of the coldest Januarys ever. We could use some warming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I phoned ours Diane, and she read me a government statement which bascially said as the government didn't consider marijuana a viable drug nor did the insurance company. OK for them, they aren't in pain.

      Ours have varied over the years, not much snow for several years, seem to be making up for it now.

      Delete
  6. That recipe looks soooo good. I like making homemade Chinese but it's a lot of work. I usually buy frozen eggrolls and pot stickers though. But nothing beats Chinese restaurant food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good JoJo. Never tried buying them frozen but Mandarin really makes good food.

      Delete
  7. I'd just written you a comment about your computer problems and mine just crashed!!! Blogger doesn't like Open ID at the minute.
    Tom's always nagging me to do a total switch off and reboot whenever I've anything wrong with the computer - it usually fixes things - mostly I never switch my laptop completely off.
    Have only just been hearing about Cape Town over the weekend - what a terrible crisis.
    Have you ever tried any homeopathic remedies for the pain Jo? I've been finding Rhus Tox good for Rheumatoid Arthritis pains.
    Fil @ Fil’s Place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Typical. I always switch off my computers at night because they do need a reboot. Tom is right. It is a crisis isn't it?

      Never heard of Rhus Tox Fil I will look into it.

      Delete
  8. You are one particular blog writer who I RARELY see typos from. I wish Scotto could help you with your computer. He can do remote jobs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am delighted to hear it Pinky.

      I wish Scotto could help me too.

      Delete