Monday, January 1, 2018

Dessert, Silver Healing,

Well, New Year's Eve has come and gone and now we are into another year, I hope 2018 will be a good one for everybody.

I have been toying with different ways to use the Pavlova shells I buy. Having published that rich Mocha Fudge Cream Cake I had an idea so Saturday, I whipped up some cream and then folded in some Nutella to taste. Filled the shell and then grated chocolate on top finally sprinkling with a few sliced almonds. We'll see how it goes down with Matt and our friend who is joining us for supper. Whilst doing this I thought of someone giving a hint the other day for freezing cream. As you may remember I do  this as well. However, she added sugar to her whipped cream. OK if you do nothing but desserts with cream, but not much use if you want to use it in a savoury dish. One could do some of each if you have a sure fired way of remembering which is which. I also used WhipIt for this cream today which does add a slightly sweet taste, but it does help keep the whipped cream nice and firm and in this case, the slight sweetness doesn't matter. Next Day: the dessert turned out very well. We enjoyed it.

I tore my skin on a door latch a day or two ago and used a plaster on it. I then discovered I had used Elastoplast Silver Healing Plasters - sure don't remember buying them. Apparently you don't need to use any kind of ointment as the silver in them does the trick. And yes, it certainly does. Being on blood thinners I tend to bleed like a stuck pig. Having worn one of these plasters you can hardly see where I tore my skin. Still a bruise, but that is par for the course with me these days. I must say I am rather impressed with them. I will look out for them next time I am shopping for bandaids.

I am not much of a one for meatloaf although I know it is a big favourite with many, but this one from Kevin Lynch of Closet Cooking just might appeal to me.

Korean Kimchi Meatloaf

A moist and tasty Korean style meatloaf with kimchi!

2 lbs (lean) ground beef
2 cups (12 ounces) kimchi, drained and coarsely chopped
1 onion, finely diced
4 cloves of garlic, grated
1 Tbs of ginger, grated
2 eggs
1 cup breadcrumbs (gluten-free for gluten-free)
1 oz dried mushrooms, coarsely chopped
1 Tbs fish sauce
2 tsp toasted sesame oil

1. Mix everything, form into a loaf, place on a baking sheet or in a loaf pan and bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until it reaches 160F, about 50-60 minutes.

Servings: 6

Tips
Option: Glaze with 1/4 cup gochujang sauce mixed with 1/4 cup ketchup!

Option: Add bacon either by wrapping the loaf in the bacon or by adding ground bacon to the mix!

 Author: Kevin Lynch
Source: Closet Cooking



Have a great day

10 comments:

  1. Okay. What time zone are you in???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I screwed up the posting date Denise. My Australian friends will be OK with this though LOL.

      Delete
    2. Well, I hope you had a happy evening. It was minus one degree F here and some idiot set off fireworks.

      Delete
    3. Quiet anyway Denise. It was -25C or -13F here last night so nobody was out letting of fireworks thank goodness. Matt went to bed so I sat up on my own and watched the ball drop in NY and Buffalo on TV.

      Delete
  2. I haven't had meatloaf in forever. I like it but I don't think I'd like kimchi mixed in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the Kimchi and ginger which made me think I might like it JoJo

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year Jo and wishing you a healthy, restful but bowling fun fest year ahead. The dessert sounds decadent but good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit and I hope you have a happy New Year too. It was good, not all that decadent. The cream and Nutella ended up being rather like a mousse.

      Delete
  4. Cream and Nutella! Very inventive. My teeth are hurting at the thought of all that sweetness. We were in bed at 9:30pm on New Year's Eve but we had a big day on Jan 1 on our new deck with all our neighbours. Twas a great way to start the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't that sweet Pinky. Sounds like great fun. Wish I could have joined you.

      Delete