Saturday, November 25, 2017

Saturday Recipe

It occurred to me that one of my favourite recipes was designed for leftover turkey and ham. I normally use chicken as I don't often have turkey - in fact I frequently buy a rotisserie chicken, have some for supper and the next day turn it into my Leftover recipe. The original was from Paul Hollywood famous from The Great British Baking Show. For him this was a pie filling but as I have never been all that enamoured of pastry, I altered it slightly and don't  make it into a pie. I nearly always have some in the freezer these days. Of course it you wanted to turn it back into a pie, there is nothing to stop you. Either way, it's delicious. I should add that I don't use single cream. Maybe I should change the recipe.

Leftover Filling only


1 1/2 ounces butter
1 lge carrot, chopped
2 large leeks, washed and roughly sliced
finely grated zest and juice of 1 orange
3 tbs medium sherry
3 Tbs plain flour
2 cups chicken stock (or 1 cup left over gravy and 1 cup stock)
1 heaped tsp wholegrain mustard
3/4 cup single cream
1 1/2 lbs left over turkey meat, cut into bite size pieces, or chicken
1/2 lb left over ham, cut into bite size pieces (optional)
2 Tbs tarragon, roughly chopped
salt and white pepper

 For the filling, melt the butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat and add the leeks to the pan with the orange juice, zest and sherry. Cover and cook gently for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally until the leeks are just tender. Remove the lid and increase the heat, reduce the liquid until you are left with a few spoons of the buttery liquid. Sprinkle the flour over the leeks and stir to mix evenly. Gradually add the stock, simmer for 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly. Add the mustard, turkey and ham and stir. Finally add the tarragon and cream. Season to taste with a little white pepper and salt.

Have a great weekend
 

4 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! Like a fancy pot pie filling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is delicious JoJo. As far as I am concerned you can keep the pastry.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo,

    The Great British Bake Off gets huge audience figures over here. That's some recipe although I'd have to leave the sherry out of it.

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend, Jo.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gary. Nice to hear from you. I think the show gets high audience figures here. I actually talked to Paul Holiday on Facebook a few weeks back. No sherry? Pity, good flavour.

      Enjoy your weekend too.

      Delete