It is pretty horrific watching what is happening in Texas. I was pretty shocked to hear how many pets perished in the Katarina hurricane disaster so they are trying to ensure people can bring their pets when they are being rescued. We have lived through a few hurricanes, but never had to put up with all the flooding which has occurred in Texas. I believe there is a Canadian collection taking place, I need to look into that further. I did see one picture of a couple having a baby which made them happy despite having no home any longer.
I love food like this
Coconut Shrimp Summer Rolls
"A tropical, drool-worthy mash-up of sweet, crispy shrimp and refreshing summer rolls."
FOR DIPPING SAUCE
5 oz apricot jam
1/4 cup crushed pineapple
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup chopped scallion
1/2 cup cilantro
1 garlic clove
1 pinch salt
2 limes, juiced
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup chopped green cabbage
1 1/2 cups chopped purple cabbage
FOR COCONUT SHRIMP
3 oz beer
1/2 cup milk
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
5 oz coconut flakes
6 sheets rice paper
1. To Make Dipping Sauce:.
2. In a bowl, combine apricot jelly, crushed pineapple, apple cider vinegar and red pepper flakes.
3. To Make Coleslaw:.
4. In a food processor, add water, olive oil, scallions, cilantro, garlic, salt and lime juice. Pulse until combined.
5. Then add sour cream and pulse again.
6. In a bowl, add chopped green and purple cabbage.
7. Drizzle olive oil mixture over the cabbage and mix well.
8. To Make Coconut Shrimp:.
9. In a bowl, whisk beer, egg, milk, flour, baking powder, and salt.
10. Dip peeled, headless shrimp in the batter.
11. Then coat with coconut flakes.
12. Fry the breaded shrimp in hot oil until the coconut flakes are golden bown.
13. Place shrimp on a drying rack over a sheet tray to allow the excess oil to drip off. Let cool.
14. Assembling the Roll:.
15. On a sheet of moistened rice paper, place a scoop of coleslaw in the middle, edge of the paper (think of it as about 1/3 in from the edge). Then roll and fold until the top of the coleslaw is covered by the rice paper.
16. After the shrimp cools down and excess oil drips off onto the rack, place two shrimp on the roll
Have a great day