Friday, June 30, 2017

RIP Michael Bond,

I was so very sorry to hear of the passing of Michael Bond the author of the Paddington Bear stories plus his Monsieur Pamplemousse and his dog Pommes Frites stories which were such fun to read if not as famous. His daughter is a close friend of mine and my heart goes out to her and her family. This photo appeared in the Guardian who published an article about Mr. Bond. His obituary is here.

At bowling on Wednesday it turns out we moved from 5th to 4th place although we only scored three points. Long may it last. Thursday I won the first game, we tied the second game and Matt won the third game, so he was happy. The younger owner of the alley is on vacation from now. He takes the whole of July off. His dad takes June off and the grandson/son fills in the blanks. Really nice family.

Just finished watching Episodes 3 and 4 of Poldark. I am really enjoying the series. Glad I started last week.

Today, Friday, going to the farm to get my last batch of asparagus for the season and then I will be all miserable when it has gone. I've frozen a lot but it isn't the same. Ah well.

Grilled Asparagus with Pepper Zabaglione

3 large egg yolks
1 large egg
3 Tbs vin santo or other lightly sweet dessert wine
2 Tbs unsalted butter, softened
1 Tbs heavy cream
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
Kosher salt
2 lbs large asparagus
2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
3 Tbs freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

1. Light a grill or heat a grill pan. In a heatproof medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the egg and vin santo. Set the bowl over a medium saucepan of simmering water and vigorously whisk the eggs over moderate heat until the sauce holds firm peaks, about 5 minutes. Remove the bowl of sauce from the heat.

2. In a small bowl, mix the butter with the heavy cream and pepper. Whisk the cream mixture into the sauce, 1 tablespoon at a time, until incorporated. Season the zabaglione with salt and keep warm.

3. In a large bowl, toss the asparagus with the olive oil and season with salt. Grill the asparagus over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until charred all over and crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer the asparagus to plates.

4. Set the bowl of sauce over the saucepan of simmering water and whisk over low heat until thick and just heated through, about 1 minute. Spoon the sauce over the asparagus, sprinkle with the Parmigiano-Reggiano and serve.

Servings: 6

Author: Mario Batali

Have a great day
 

18 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - I hadn't picked up Michael Bond had died - though I remembered you knew his daughter ... it does look like he had a good life and gave us one too. Asparagus - yes bought my last for this year ... but oh so good - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You surprise me Hilary. Have you read any M. Pamplemousse stories, they are really amusing. Off to the farm this aft.

      Delete
  2. I added Poldark to my Amazon Prime list. Still trying to catch on the Story of China.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Has Charlie seen the Paddington Bear movie? I see there is another one due out this year. Yup, Story of China is good.

      Delete
    2. We both watched Paddington. I think I enjoyed it more.

      Delete
    3. Maybe he will like it when he is a bit older Denise. Maybe 60 years older of course LOL

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love Paddington Bear and was sorry to hear of Michael Bond's passing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too JoJo. Have you seen the movie? I bought it.

      Delete
  4. We love Poldark . I was never really a Paddington Bear fan but appreciate what an iconic character he is/was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a good show isn't it? You should try the M. Pamplemousse stories, they are for adults and quite funny.

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear of his passing. Paddington Bear is a classic childrens program.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The books and character are immensely popular in England Andrew. I love the movie too. Love to you too.

      Delete
  6. Very sad. He must've written the Paddington stories when he was very young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really Alex, he was 59 when he published the first one in 1958

      Delete
  7. i am sad to hear about this because he seemed a sweet man and the books had a gentle quality about them. I am certain she will need you and other good friends through this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they did Birgit. Unfortunately she is in the UK.

      Delete
  8. You were the first person I thought of when I read he had died. I know how much you loved Paddington.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the movie, only ever read one book Pinky. He is an icon in England though. Friend posted pictures of PB's statue in Paddington Station, London, which is surrounded by all kinds of tributes including jars of marmalade. I am so sorry for his daughter, they were very close.

      Delete