Friday, June 16, 2017

Ikea Cook Book, WiFi, Les Mis, Bowling.

This is a brilliant idea from Ikea for people who can't cook or a reluctant to try new things. Hilary Melton-Butcher of Positive Letters sent me the link. There is an article that goes with this.



Unfortunately, Ikea are only running this promotion in Canada. Maybe they think Canadians can't cook!

Once again I am having all kinds of trouble with wifi. I suppose I am going to have to get in touch with my ISP but I know they will go through the  usual nonsense and end up telling me it's my fault. That is what happened before. One day, eventually, one of their techs figured out how to fix it and it was fine for ages, but now we are back at the same thing. Grrr.

Just been watching the 25th Anniversary concert of Les Miserables. We both enjoy it so we watched it over two nights. I didn't know what would happen on a DVD if you stopped the movie half way, the answer is it went back to the beginning, however, I had made a note of the readings on the player and it wasn't too difficult to get back to the Intermission which is where we stopped last night.

Had a pretty good bowling day today, I beat Matt twice would you believe. He made up for it on the last game though. Oh well. Now have to wait all the way round to Wednesday. One thing I dislike about summer bowling. Monday and Thursday is a much better distribution. Oh well.

Here's a pretty simple way of serving asparagus.

Asiago, Bacon, and Garlic Roasted Asparagus

1.5 lb asparagus
2 Tbs olive oil
salt and pepper
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup grated Asiago cheese
4 bacon slices, cooked, drained of fat, chopped

1. Preheat oven to 425 F. Trim asparagus ends.

2. Place asparagus in a 2.5 quart casserole dish, drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, season with salt and pepper, mix everything well. Mix in the minced garlic.

3. Roast, uncovered, at 425 F for 10 minutes.

4. Remove from the oven.

5. Sprinkle half of grated Asiago cheese all over asparagus, then add chopped cooked bacon, then top with the remaining half of grated Asiago cheese. Roast for 10 more minutes, uncovered at 425 F. Asparagus should be crispy and crunchy.

Servings: 4

Have a great day
 

14 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - thanks for putting the Ikea thing up - I just thought it was interesting and then totally bemused when it turned out to be Canadian related.

    Glad the bowling was better til Matt decided to up the ante ... ah well - you're out and about enjoying yourselves ...

    The Asparagus, bacon and cheese dish does sound good - just not now - breakfast time ... I bought some more asparagus yesterday when I was in town ... so shall have some today - probably just plain with butter ... love it that way ...

    Cheers and have a good weekend - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought it was an interesting idea Hilary. Wish there was an Ikea near me.

      You're right we are enjoying ourselves - or so they tell me!!

      Yes I must admit, I love asparagus with just butter too, but I do enjoy a lot of the other recipes I post.

      Delete
  2. I know a lot of women who can't cook, but I am not sure they could even follow simple directions, lol. Seems those sheets would make things harder, but that is just me. Handling each individual shrimp just so you can lay it out on a piece of parchment? ICK. BTW, I did not know IKEA sold food. I have only ever visited their store once after it opened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Ikea in Sweden is very big on food Denise, but I didn't think they sold food here. Obviously I was wrong. Never been to one because the nearest is so far away from us. I think the sheets are a great idea. Would love to try one.

      Delete
  3. I about come unglued whenever we have Internet issues. It seems like everything on my daily to-do list requires the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know just what you mean Diane, it is infuriating especially when you are still working.

      Delete
  4. An IKEA cookbook? Do you have to three hole punch and bind it? hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe JoJo, it is certainly do it yourself.

      Delete
  5. I saw Les Mis in New York about 30 years ago. How is it the 25th anniversary?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a concert Pinky, not the actual show, but it is very well done and Alfie Bow is a perfect Jean Valjean. At the end they introduce the original cast. This was in 2010 so the 50th would be 2035 I guess. We bought the DVD some years ago and love it.

      Delete
  6. This would help people learn how to cook....if they get off their butt and actually do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Birgit, getting off your butt is a necessity.

      Delete
  7. I love the music from Les Mis and the stage version but the film just left me seriously depressed. Even Hugh Jackman didn't let me to watch it to the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never saw the film Helen, this is a concert version. Hugh Jackman was nowhere near it LOL.

      Delete