Friday, June 9, 2017

Ice Cream, Lovage, Aging Backwards,

I don't really remember, for certain, the last time I ate ice cream, but this last week or two I had been craving some so bought some Bryer's chocolate. Yummy. If you don't eat too much at a time it isn't terribly high in calories. Funny how one suddenly gets cravings for things isn't it?

Talking of food, the dentist's receptionist let me know she has some more lovage so I'm going to collect it from her. Might make some more Pea and Lovage soup or might find something else.

Watched an interesting programme about exercising and Aging Backwards. I found this on YouTube so thought a) I would like to have it and b) you might like to watch it. I cannot afford all the DVDs she has made but this will be helpful. I was planning to go back to exercise class anyway, but from what I understand about Miranda Esmonde-White's methods, I can expect to feel fitter and younger by doing her exercises half an hour a day.



We had the Asparagus and Hearts of Palm salad again today, it was good. This time I made it with Coconut Oil which I have been reading about and which is supposed to have many benefits. Particularly for the brain. We shall see.

Here's a delicious recipe - I notice the garnish says tarragon and lemon but the picture shows a few shrimp!!!  I do so agree with the author's comments at the bottom, and as you all know, I take every bit of advantage of asparagus that I can.

Asparagus and Shrimp Paté

2 lb (1 kg) shrimp, shelled
½ cup (125 mL) chopped green onions
3 Tbs (45 mL) seasoned rice vinegar
1 Tbs (15 mL) chopped garlic
1 Tbs (15 mL) chopped fresh tarragon
2 Tbs (25 mL) chopped parsley
1 egg
1 egg white
½ cup (125 mL) whipping cream
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 lb (500 g) medium-size asparagus spears, blanched

Garnish
Fresh tarragon
Lemon slices, optional

1. Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC).

2. Combine shrimp, green onions, vinegar, garlic, tarragon and parsley in a food processor. Process until mixture is just combined. While machine is running, add egg, egg white and cream. Stop machine immediately. Mixture should have a little bit of texture left. Season well with salt and pepper.

3. Lay a third of shrimp mixture into a buttered loaf pan. Add a layer of asparagus trimmed to fit pan. If asparagus is too short then add a second piece as well. Add second layer of shrimp mixture and another layer of asparagus. Finish with remaining shrimp mixture.

4. Place loaf pan into a second slightly bigger pan. Fill larger pan with boiling water halfway up loaf pan. Cover loaf pan with a piece of buttered parchment paper and cover tightly with foil.

5. Bake for 55 minutes or until white juices begin to rise and pâté is cooked through in the middle. Cool in pan and pour off any liquid that has gathered. Turn out on to a rectangular plate and decorate with fresh tarragon and lemon slices, if desired.

Servings: 10

Tips
Asparagus, when in season, deserves to be used as much as possible. Combining it with a shrimp purée makes an outstanding pate. To blanch asparagus, toss into a pot of boiling water, bring back to the boil, drain well, and run under cold water.

Author: Lucy Waverman
Source: Food and Drink



Have a great day

12 comments:

  1. Anything to feel younger.
    I haven't had ice cream in a long time either. I feel sick if I eat too much dairy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Alex.

      I guess one does feel sick after too much of it.

      Delete
  2. Love ice cream and bought some sea salt caramel at the grocery yesterday. Not fond of Breyer's though; I'm picky about my IC. That workout is definitely not for a beginner. Good luck with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which make do you like Denise? Sea Salt Caramel sounds delicious. Workout looks pretty easy to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite IC company is in Michigan. Guernsey Dairy. The sea salt caramel is from Kroger Private Selection. I just found out thst one of my favorite chocolates, Ethel M in Las Vegas, is owned by Mars candy. Very surprising.

      Delete
    2. Pity, I used to get gorgeous IC from a place in Beaufort NC years ago. I must check out what I can get here, but then I really don't need ice cream Denise.

      Delete
  4. We get vanilla soy ice cream once or twice a month, just enough to satisfy the craving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must check that out Diane, is it low in calories? I know yogurt ice cream is.

      Delete
  5. Oreo cookie is my fave ice cream!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most IC flavours are my favourites JoJo, I just try not to eat it too often.

      Delete
  6. That exercise video looks about my speed. I might join you in the half hour a day thing Jo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meant to start today Pinky but got a bit bogged down. Not sure about tomorrow. Certainly want to try it.

      Delete