Monday, June 12, 2017

Fuses, Cauliflower Salad, Lunch,

So, Sunday got pretty warm so we decided to turn on the A/C, trouble is it ended up blowing a fuse three times!!! Yes, we do still have fuses in this building. I called the new supers and they came up and put a fuse in and it held OK?? Why? Not that I am complaining exactly, but I was busy changing them and it blew the fuse instantly I screwed it in.  What was even more frustrating was I was trying to prepare supper and to whip up some cream for the freezer. Grrr.

Over the weekend I made a cauliflower salad, raw cauliflower that is, Pretty tasty but boy was it ever hard to chew, especially with my new teeth. I will not be making it again. Basically florets, grape or other small tomatoes, onions and a French dressing.  Easy enough to make. The green is parsley, didn't have any so I shaved some asparagus. I was very disappointed I must say. Maybe it would work for me if I used cold cooked cauliflower instead.

Tuesday we are lunching with a friend - guess where? yes the Mandarin. Been a while since we were there, or it seems like a while anyway. They are having a crab fest on at the moment but only weekends and holidays and we rarely ever go out on those days. Too many people.

This is a somewhat different asparagus recipe.

Asparagus and Jalapenos Cornbread Muffins

3 Tbs coconut oil
1/3 cup apple sauce or reduced/cooked peaches
1 large egg
1/4 cup of pure maple syrup
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup gf flour (Bobs Red Mill)
1/2 tsp baking soda
Sea salt & pepper
1 red chili/ jalapenos, diced
1 bunch of asparagus, chopped BUT save tops for garnish.

1. Preheat oven to 350 and coat muffin tin with coconut oil. Mix all wet ingredients together with peppers and asparagus. Mix dry ingredients together thoroughly & slowly incorporate into wet batter. Pour into muffin tins approx. 1/4 full. Finish with aspara-tops. Bake for 15/20 minutes until golden.

Author Notes
Good for up to 4 days fresh OR freeze for a couple weeks. Great with a fried egg, with preserves or what we did at home is use for sloppy Joe’s using Walter All Natural, Craft Caesar Mix.


Have a great day
 

18 comments:

  1. Hi Jo ... fuses - I wonder why the super were able to do it ... but at least it's working ... blanched cauliflower might be worth a try - the salad looks delicious ... while the muffins sound interesting ... I'm not a muffin fan - but could see them for a brunch ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea Hilary, seems pretty odd. Yes, blanched might work you are right. Muffins are very popular over here.

      Delete
  2. My digestive system has a hard time with raw vegetables. I recently got very sick after eating raw zucchini. Seems it has now been identified as part of the latex allergy group of foods along with bananas which I already knew I could not eat. Not sure I want asparagus in my muffins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting Denise, didn't know that was possible. Usually too many calories in muffins for me but I do enjoy them.

      Delete
  3. Not sure why your fuses would all blow. We were certainly hot here and really needed the air conditioning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor me Alex, but it seems like the A/C isn't working now anyway. It wasn't blowing cold air, just cool. Money, Money, Money,

      Delete
  4. Our AC kept doing that, and then finally I had a different guy come out (I was sick of replacing the fuse and having it blow) and he put some kind of booster on there that took tension off of the fuse when the machine started. 2 years later, hasn't blown. I can't complain.

    Asparagus? In muffins? I love making jalapeno cornbread muffins, but never thought to add asparagus. I'm definitely going to have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far it seems to be OK Bryan, keeping my fingers crossed. Really need it today.

      If you make the muffins, do let me know what they are like, unlikely to make them myself. Too many calories.

      Delete
  5. Our last house had fuses. I'm glad not to deal with that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Susan, they are a pain aren't they? However, this is an old building.

      Delete
  6. Cauliflower is definitely a lot of hard chewing when it's raw. I bet you will like that salad better if the cauli is slightly cooked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too JoJo. It was more like hard work than pleasure.

      Delete
  7. I'm not a fan of raw cauliflower for the same reasons as you. I'd try it lightly cooked next time. This reminded me of when my daughter was little. She loved raw but not cooked vegetables and so when I was preparing dinner I'd give her her serving of cauliflower, broccoli and so on to nibble on instead of making her eat them cooked. As she was eating her vegetables - although her dinner plate did look a little sparse - she was happy and so was I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy most vegetables raw Helen, but this was too much - the odd bit of cauliflower is one thing, a whole salad bowl full another. Great way for your daughter to have her vegetables.

      Delete
  8. That building must be old because, from what I am guessing, the wiring needs to be updated. If you have the a/c on and the. Turn on something else and the fuse blows, the wiring has not been updated to support the newer ...um...things. I'm going to ask my hubby who knows these things, glad you had a nice meal at the Mandarin...which I like too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was built in 74 Birgit. However, I know a lot of stuff has been updated. Not sure why the fuse blew like that, it has been fine ever since. Going to the Mandarin today, Tuesday.

      Delete
  9. You and that Mandarin. They should sponsor you for advertising! I find chewing food difficult too. I have accepted the fact I can never eat almonds again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish they would then maybe we could eat free Pinky. Yes, I gave up on almonds a while back, just thought to try them sliced and see if that works. There is a Spanish candy I love, full of almonds, can't eat that any more of course.

      Delete