Thursday, June 29, 2017

Bowling, Movie, Burgers, Deep Pacific,

Bowling was frustrating on Wednesday - we won the first game by around 80 points then lost the second game by 5 and the third by 4 points. Thursday I will find out what our standings are. But I would almost rather be beaten by a large amount. Mind you, the team we were playing against are pretty good bowlers, so much so that they carry minus handicaps which doesn't help them. Two of them were a couple of guys who were part of our team last summer so we are pretty good friends. One of them was telling all kinds of groaners which were so bad they were funny.

Yesterday I picked up Rogue One at the library and then last night there were programmes I wanted to watch and there are tonight (Wednesday) I have until Tuesday so hopefully I will be able to watch it before then. Not sure if DVDs can be renewed.

Tried the second lot of burgers Gouda and mushrooms - didn't like them as much as the first ones but they were still good. Of course the Barrie's Relish helped too.

Watched the second episode of Big Pacific on Wednesday night. I didn't realise how much damage
had been done to the Bikini Atoll by the atom bomb testing 60 years ago. There were also pictures of tsunamis which were enough to frighten one to death. Followed that with Great Yellowstone Thaw. Thought about watching Making North America but hadn't written this blog. It occurred to me today, that those of us who watch such programmes are probably very much in the minority and the rest of the world doesn't care about polluting oceans and other damage we are doing to the Earth.

Having posted a dessert for Independence Day I figured I should post one for Canada's 150th birthday on July 1. You could also use blueberries or raspberries for this recipe.

Red Wine Chocolate Cake With Blackberries

2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup dark Dutch-processed cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk with 1 Tbsp vinegar)
1 cup red wine
½ cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup blackberry preserves
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
1 cup butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
4 Tbs cocoa
3-5 Tbsp 10% cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp salt

1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Butter and line three 8-inch round baking pans with parchment paper. Butter parchment.

2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt, whisking until thoroughly combined. Add eggs, buttermilk, wine, oil, and vanilla and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until all dry ingredients are incorporated. Divide evenly among prepared pans.

3. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.

4. Prepare frosting by combining all ingredients in a large bowl and beating until light and fluffy.

5. To assemble: Place one layer, flat side down, on a serving platter. Spread half of the blackberry preserves evenly on top, followed by approximately ½ cup of buttercream. Position second layer on top and press to adhere. Repeat with remaining preserves, another ½ cup of buttercream, and final cake layer. Cover all sides and top with remaining buttercream. Serve with fresh blackberries (optional)

Author: adapted from loveandoliveoil.com

Have a great day
 

10 comments:

  1. I highly recommend 'Making North America'. It was a really good story, although folks who think the earth is on 40,000 years old would probably not be interested in made up history, lol. I think too many folks are watching stupid reality TV which is probably why we have 'creamsicle man' for president.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen some of Making North America and it is interesting Denise. 40,000? Who on earth believes that? Reality TV would not interest me one bit. Love the name 'creamsicle man'.

      Delete
  2. Definitely watch Rogue One this weekend. Great film.
    I don't watch programs like that just because they are depressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you have recommended it Alex which is why I got hold of it.

      They can be depressing but then most of them give one hope for the future.

      Delete
  3. I love those kinds of documentaries. I watched one the other night about earthquakes, both natural and from fracking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generally so do I JoJo. Earthquake documentaries are a tad frightening though, with some of the super volcanoes that could go at any time.

      Delete
  4. I have not watched those programs because they are depressing but I have seen other documentaries about how the Bikini Atoll is still full of radiation. So many animals are being killed due to our garbage that it is sickening. You mentioned Poldark and we watch it as well-excellent show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy them despite the depressing parts Birgit. This Big Pacific show in particular has some wonderful shots of underwater life and creatures. Just seen 2 episodes of Poldark but they seem to be good.

      Delete
  5. I agree - I watch them but they are depressing. I'm doing all I can as one person. I don't eat meat and support factory farming (and pig farming here pollutes and destroys the environment) and we recycle everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a better carbon footprint than I do Diane. I am still a meat eater. We do recycle everything too.

      Delete