Monday, June 19, 2017

Balconies, Father's Day, Recipe Trial,

Well, they are getting close, ton Thursday they started working on the other side of our wing, i.e. the apartments across the corridor from us. I wonder how long they will take now. They seem to be working differently this year and leaving the new walls til the very last.


Our building is Y shaped and in this picture we are on the left, the extreme left is the back of the building. The apartments on the right have all been done, they were the first.

Matt exchanged phone calls with his two daughters on Sunday - they had sent cards earlier of course. As for us, we spent Father's Day the same way we spend all our Sundays. Both of us wishing we could bowl on Monday but of course, we can't do that until September. At least I can go to exercise class, I just wish I could persuade Matt to do so as well, it does me a lot of good.

Having announced, on Saturday, that we were having lamb chops for supper, I changed my mind. I had forgotten we had bought some pork tenderloins at Costco the other day, so that is what I decided to cook. I found the following recipe and it turned out very well. Matt couldn't stop praising it. We had enough left over for another meal including the excellent, if somewhat calorie laden, sauce. I used the mustard I wrote about last week which I had bought at the asparagus farm, it is mixed with horseradish already. I forgot the chives, but I don't have any anyway. I ended up with a lot of sauce too. As I said, it was delicious.

Pork Tenderloin Diablo

"This is a great pork recipe. Mustard is a classic with pork, but when you add the extra zing of horseradish and cayenne, and then smooth it out with a little cream and butter, well, it's devilishly
delicious."

1 (1 pound) whole pork tenderloin
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 tsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 Tbs heavy cream
1 Tbs extra-hot prepared horseradish
1 Tbs Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 Tbs cold butter
1 tsp chopped fresh chives

1. Heat oil in an ovenproof skillet over high heat. Cook pork until browned on one side, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn over pork and transfer the skillet to the preheated oven. Cook until pork is browned and still slightly pink in the center, 20 to 25 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 145 degrees F (63 degrees C). Transfer pork to a plate.

2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Season pork with salt and pepper.

3. Remove any excess oil from the skillet and place it over medium-high heat. Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil, scraping any browned bits off of the bottom of the pan. Whisk in cream, horseradish, Dijon mustard, and cayenne pepper. Continue cooking until the mixture is reduced to a thick sauce, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in cold butter. Stir in chives.

4. Slice pork into 1/2-inch slices and serve topped with sauce.

Servings: 3

Tips
Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.

Author: Chef John
Source: AllRecipes

Have a great day

18 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - pork sounds good ... while I'm sure they'll get round to your balcony soon ... hope it's not when you want the windows open ... and can keep the windows shut, mess out and not too hot ... all the best for this week - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was Hilary. I don't have any choice about windows, once they start, the windows are fastened shut from the outside. Also, can't run the A/C whilst they are working, the dust won't do it any good.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, that does sound good. I love pork tenderloin. As for the sauce, I often find that most recipes have too much of it. Especially ones for spaghetti. Enjoy your exercise class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Denise, can you believe I had forgotten I bought some? You're right about the sauce.

      Delete
  3. I hope they can finally finish those balconies this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So do we all Diane. Then of course they are going to have to landscape. The place looks terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it's not one thing it's another, isn't it? It seems like just wanting to live in peace and quiet is just too much to ask.

    Those pork tenderloins sound great. I've never tried it with horseradish. I usually use more of a honey mustard type of sauce. I'll have to give this a shot.

    BTW, those asparagus jalapeno cornbread muffins weren't bad, but honestly, I think just regular jalapeno cornbread muffins are still better. The asparagus kind of drowns out the jalapeno flavor (you know, since asparagus has such a strong, unique flavor).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well generally we do get peace and quiet here Bryan, just not now. They were great - the mustard/horseradish from the farm contains asparagus too, of course, and worked beautifully.

      Hunh? The asparagus drowned the jalapeño????

      Delete
    2. Yeah, sadly, the flavor of the asparagus is so intense that I couldn't even taste the jalapeno. It wasn't bad, though. Just not as good as regular jalapeno muffins (to me, anyway).

      Delete
    3. I can't believe that? I would have thought the jalapeño would have overpowered the asparagus Bryan.

      Delete
  6. I guess summer means construction. I haven't had pork tenderloins in a long while. My children aren't pork lovers so I almost never cook it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure does for us Susan. Pity they don't like pork, lovely meat.

      Delete
  7. Construction is not fun!
    Pork tenderloins....yummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it isn't Jay. Yes, they were yummy.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad that the balcony work is getting close! Will you use it to sit outside when they are done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still do now JoJo, but once they get round to us, they lock the balcony door so you can't get out. Just in case you drop off it I guess LOL.

      Delete
  9. I hope the balcony work doesn't mess up your life too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should hear it now Helen. And that's only on the other side of our wing. Can hardly hear ourselves think. Wish the bowling alley was open more at this time of the year.

      Delete