Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Shopping and Cleaning, Medical Marijuana, Pickles,

Quiet day on Tuesday, shopping enabled us to buy the store once again, or I thought that's what had happened. They actually had some artichokes for a change, not been many available lately. I do love those things. I finally got round to a job I've been putting off, cleaning some silver. Trouble is standing doing a job like that causes my back to remind me it's there. Painfully. I think I mentioned  before that a member of our bowling team has been telling me about his wife being on medical marijuana for pain. I am thinking of asking the doctor about that. Matt hit the roof when we talked about it, he cannot understand any difference between being out there and doing drugs, and taking the drug under medical control. We'll see. Mind you, I gather it's very expensive and if our insurance won't help, I won't be doing it anyway. Apparently you can get it to smoke or like gummies. I think he said the gummies are $25 each.

Forgot to mention - the Mexican pickled vegetables I made the other day - I gave a jar to the guys at the bowling alley. When I mentioned it on Monday, they had put them in the fridge and forgotten to take them home. I hope they remembered on Monday evening. I've really been enjoying these pickles, by the way.

Here's a somewhat different way to cook your eggs. My problem - I don't know if I can buy harissa or whether I will have to make my own or use a substitute. The title attracted my attention and then the picture looks so delicious.

Eggs in Purgatory

We're not entirely certain about the history of this classic recipe's name, but perhaps it has something to do with the spicy kick of the sauce. Our version is a shakshuka-like dish in which fiery harissa paste and heady spices slowly infuse a rich tomato sauce where eggs gently poach. Look for jars of harissa with the Middle Eastern foods in your supermarket; you can substitute a half to full teaspoon of crushed red pepper in a pinch. The cook time for the eggs depends on the specific heat of your slow cooker. We offer a range of 15 to 20 minutes, so start checking at 15 minutes (or a couple
minutes earlier) to ensure the eggs get done to your liking. Serve with warm whole-wheat pita.

1 Tbs olive oil
1 cup chopped yellow onion (from 1 medium onion)
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 (28-oz.) can unsalted crushed tomatoes
2 Tbs harissa
3/4 tsp kosher salt, divided
8 large eggs
1 (5-oz.) pkg. baby spinach
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1. Heat a large skillet over medium. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add cumin, coriander, paprika, cinnamon, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until garlic is soft and spices are fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer to a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.

2. Stir in crushed tomatoes, harissa, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook on HIGH 20 minutes; reduce heat to LOW, and cook until sauce is fragrant, 7 1/2 to 8 hours (or cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours).

3. One at a time, crack eggs into a ramekin, and slip into tomato sauce. (Do not stir.) Cover and cook on HIGH until whites are set and yolks are runny, about 15 to 20 minutes. Sprinkle eggs with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Divide spinach evenly among 4 plates; top with sauce and eggs. Sprinkle with cilantro.

Servings: 4

Author: Julia Levy
Source: Cooking Light

Have a great day
 

21 comments:

  1. Well, if you use the drug does that mean we will see a recipe for brownies in the future? LOL
    I've never had eggs in purgatory, though I have heard of them. I have seen harissa in stores around here and you can probably find it online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I use the drug!!!!

      I hadn't heard of them before Denise, and forgot to look round for harissa yesterday. Duuh.

      Delete
  2. Wow with all due respect, Matt needs to chill out. I know he's from a different generation but there is nothing wrong with pot, either recreational or medical. Almost everyone I know smokes, and they are all upstanding members of society, without exception.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would actually react much the same way JoJo except this is medical not recreational. Matt, in particular having been in the prison service, has seen where smoking pot ends.

      Delete
  3. Wow. That is expensive for gummies! I am not a fan of recreational drug use, but the more research I have done, medical marijuana makes way more sense than opiods. I'd vote yea on the issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor me Liz but friend's wife has a lot of pain too and it is helping her.

      Delete
  4. $25 for gummie pot? That's the real reason they legalized it - so the pharmaceutical industry could make a fortune. Although how putting smoke into your lungs is ever a good thing is beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd rather chew it than smoke it I must say Dianne

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Fresh what Ivy? Artichoke?

      Delete
    2. Yes. Never did fresh or prepped my own before.

      Delete
    3. When I was 15 Ivy, I did an exchange visit with a French family and we were served the most gorgeous artichokes. Trouble was, I didn't like them in those days. Not sure when I got to liking them.

      Delete
    4. Funny how are taste buds change. Tim never liked mushrooms and now he does. Had some for super tonight, too.

      Thanks for stopping by today. No poisonous mushrooms on the menu. But I would like to find some mushrooms, I will be sure and do my studies, first.

      Delete
    5. Safest if you can find somebody who really knows wild mushrooms Ivy, just in case.

      Delete
    6. I enjoy the learning and studying of wild edibles. There's a million things to learn out there and almost a video for each one. Fasinating study, I find. Today, I'm going out to get violets. Never ate them before. Gonna give it a go.

      Delete
    7. I've tried crystalising them Ivy, also pansies.

      Delete
    8. They worked but not perfectly Ivy

      Delete
    9. I am on the hunt for pansies. I'm learning a great deal from you and other other commenters. Pretty neat thing about blogging.

      Just put carrot and broccol crisps in the oven, or ... I'm making them. Kinda like a potato chip but without the grease.

      Delete
    10. If I am not mistaken, I published a blog about edible flowers some time ago Ivy. Maybe you could search it if you are interested. There is a search on this blog

      Delete