Monday, April 24, 2017

Beeper, Bowling,

To me this was weird. Friday night/Saturday morning, around 4:15 a.m., I started to hear a beeping noise. I checked my watch but it wasn't that. I lay there being disturbed by it for a while. I thought of the stove but at that time, it couldn't be. However, it never stopped so I got up and plodded along to the kitchen and lo and behold it was the timer on the stove!!! How on earth could that have got set at that time of the morning? A total mystery.

Today we have our last winter league bowling, next week it will be "banquet" prizes, bowling for fun. Some, by no means all, will be joining the summer league. A much shorter season of course. People from other leagues join in on the summer league too. All the winter leagues having ended.

This sounds like a good recipe. Many people do not realise you can eat asparagus uncooked, I didn't until a few years ago. However, it is better, as in all things, if you get it fresh from the farm rather than using the store bought asparagus. I am sure the goat cheese, chèvre, would also be better straight from the farm, but that is not as easy to achieve so I guess the grocery store will have to be the source.

Shaved Asparagus Salad with Goat Cheese and Hazelnuts

3 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbs champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
½ small shallot, minced (or 3 T chopped chives)
1 Tbs chopped fresh dill
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp honey
½ tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
2 hearts of romaine, very thinly sliced
1 bunch of asparagus, woody ends removed and spears shaved with vegetable peeler
3 oz fresh chèvre
¼ cup chopped toasted hazelnuts

1. Whisk oil, vinegar, shallot or chives, dill, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add romaine and shaved asparagus to the bowl and toss to combine. Divide among four plates. Crumble goat cheese over the salads. Divide hazelnuts over the salads.

Yield: 9 cups

Source: Healthy Seasonal Recipes

Have a great day
 

16 comments:

  1. I was visiting a cousin once and when I arrived there was a beeping noise and she could not discover where it was coming from. Turns out her dishwasher had been opened before it had completed its cycle. Stupid thing had no cancel button and the only way we found out was I tried to restart it and voila, it finished the cycle and the beeping stopped. Much better a beep than a toy that starts singing at 2:15 am. Just out of the blue one of Charlie's talking stuffed animals started singing, woke me up and scared the you-know-what out of me. Now I try to make sure they are all turned off.

    BTW, good luck buying hazelnuts. The ones I bought for Easter were rancid and you should have seen the look on the face of the clerk when I returned them to get my money back. They were dated for next August so not sure why they were bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that did scare you Denise, I thought the beep was bad enough but a singing toy!!

      Were the nuts in their shells our out of them?

      Delete
    2. They were shelled. I have never seen them in their shells around here.

      Delete
    3. That could be why they were rancid Denise. I am not sure, but I think I have seen them in their shells here.

      Delete
  2. Mercury retrograde is notorious for messing with electronics. I've been tracking this for over 20 years and I believe there's something to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You convinced me about Mercury retrograde a couple of years ago JoJo, but I didn't know it messed with electronics.

      Delete
  3. Everything starts beeping and flashing in my house when there's a power cut! Recipe looks lovely - very fresh and tasty.
    That's Purrfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily that doesn't happen here Patricia, or should I call you Mrs.? All I need is the asparagus.

      Delete
  4. Maybe you have a ghost who likes to cook?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't think the building is old enough for ghosts Diane, although you never know.

      Delete
  5. Ghosts in the house. I never had raw asparagus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably Susan LOL. I don't know what it would be like from the store, but I always eat some of the ones I buy at the farm before I get home. I usually pinch an extra one from them and eat it there and then.

      Delete
  6. Electronics are strange. We have weird things like that happen all the time. Maybe you set it for AM instead of PM the last time you used it and it didn't go off. Or maybe is was a glitch in the matrix oooh oooh :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, doesn't set for time just for lapsed hours or minutes Pinky. A glitch in the matrix sounds good.

      Delete
  7. Next spring I want to forage wild asparagus. Watched a few videos on it. Super neat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not something I ever thought of. Don't know where one would forage round here Ivy.

      Delete