Friday, December 30, 2016

Winter Morning,


Having arisen on time and got ourselves ready to go for my ultrasound, we decided there was really too much snow. The lab is in the middle of all the road works that are going on here and, although some of it is finished, finding our way there would still be a tad difficult, especially in the snow. I phoned and they quite understood and re-booked me for next Wednesday. So then I was stuck with not much to do. Not enough time to make some dishes I want to do so I decided to read for a while. Matt went to sleep!!! Eventually, we had lunch and then headed out to the bowling alley which is a much easier trip and the roads were a lot better by then.
It struck me as rather odd that one side of the roads round our building and park were almost totally clear but the right hand side, for us, was still white. Presumably there had been more cars coming our way than going. When we got to the alley there was only one other person there, but it soon began to fill up. Two bunches with kids, the kids weren't too bad, the adults were noisy as hell. Every time a kid got a pin down, they screamed encouragement. Grrr. My ears are still ringing. I felt a bit sorry for the young man on duty today, he was alone and one group were demanding food all the time and then the phone was ringing off the hook plus new people coming to sign in as it were. He is the son and grandson of the two owners so presumably plans to take over from his grandfather one of these days. They are such a nice family.

Afterwards we had to go to the store for a couple of things we forgot the other day and also to the pharmacy to pick up a med for me which turned out not to be ready. I asked them to deliver it tomorrow. Dropped a book off at the library and then home. By the time I got into the apartment I was whacked and when I finally sat down, I dropped right off. Glad I had some turkey soup to use as it didn't take long to defrost later and it is full of turkey and veg so a pretty nutritious meal.

So, in ten minutes it is my favourite programme (Jeopardy) so I am pausing for now.

Kimchi is one of my favourites along with noodles of most kinds. This one sounds pretty good to me.

Kimchi Udon with Scallions

The power trio of butter, kimchi, and gochujang produces an umami ballad so beautiful in this udon
recipe, you’ll want to play it over and over again.

5 Tbs unsalted butter, divided
1 cup finely chopped kimchi, plus ? cup kimchi juice
2 Tbs gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste)
½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 lb fresh or frozen udon noodles
Kosher salt
4 large egg yolks, room temperature
3 scallions, white and pale-green parts only, thinly sliced on a diagonal
1 Tbs toasted sesame seeds

1. Heat 2 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium-high. Add chopped kimchi and gochujang and cook, stirring occasionally, until kimchi is softened and lightly caramelized, about 4 minutes. Add broth and kimchi juice and bring to a simmer. Cook until liquid is slightly reduced, about 3 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, boil noodles according to package directions.

3. Using tongs, transfer noodles to skillet and add remaining 3 Tbsp. butter; cook, tossing often, until sauce coats noodles, about 2 minutes. Season with salt if needed. Divide among bowls and top with egg yolks, scallions, and sesame seeds.

Servings: 4

Author: Andy Baraghani
Source: Bon Appétit

Have a great day
 

10 comments:

  1. Sorry about the roads. Glad they were understanding.

    Love kimchi but I don't heat mine because I use it as medicine and cooking it kills the bacteria that I want to eat. That being said, I see lots of folks do cook with it. It is yummy, so I can totally see why they use it.

    When I make it I'll use a combo of the videos. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'll do a small tester batch before I go hog-wild.

    Have a great weekend, Jo! Here's to 2017.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snowed pretty hard again during the night, still snowing now.

      Yes, I understand about the Kimchi. I have never really had it cooked anyway. I want to make some soon.

      Thanks Ivy, and I wish you and Tim a wonderful New Year with lots of renewed health.

      Delete
    2. Still snowing here too. Tim home now, three days off. Happy 2017 to you guys as well!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - that seems a sensible decision, glad they understood. I'm now in the middle of white - but it's thick fog .. mind you we've missed the worst as we've had a few sunny days ... now the Channel is white! Love turkey soup ... take care .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So was I Hilary, some medical places fine you if you don't cancel early. Maybe not when it snows. Thick fog? We get that now and again when the sun shines after it snows. Not just the cliffs of Dover that are white then?

      Delete
  3. Sounds like the bowling alley was a bit crazy! I won't drive in snow either. I really don't like snow. Unless it melts right away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was JoJo. I asked for ear plugs but they didn't have any LOL. In the days when we went to work we had to drive in it, but when it isn't urgent or essential, we don't want to know.

      Delete
  4. Do you and Matt compete with each other during Jeopardy? My husband and I did when we watched it. I cheated once by looking up the answers on the Internet (we were seeing old episodes here) and he couldn't believe how much I knew. He was astounded. I admitted what I'd done a little while later :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really Pinky. I find at our age, recalling things quickly enough is a problem. We know the answers but they just don't come out fast enough. Didn't know they published the answers anywhere.

      Delete