Saturday, November 19, 2016

Saturday Recipe

I think I may have mentioned a time or two how much I love dumplings. I have never actually made  them although Matt used to a number of years ago. This recipe came to my inbox today and I thought it sounded good. If you are interested, there is a 'how to' video on the site.

Chinese Pork Dumplings

When I was growing up, my family made dumplings together every Sunday morning. It's a wonderfully interactive way to start the day. Dumplings are economical and simple to make and they
taste especially great with the family by your side

FOR THE DUMPLINGS
1/2 medium green cabbage, roughly chopped
salt
1/2 tsp grated ginger
1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped scallions
1/2 cup chopped garlic chives (optional)
3 oz peeled shrimp, deveined and chopped
1/2 lb ground pork
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 tsp sesame oil
Freshly ground black pepper
1 package dumpling wrappers
2 Tbs Vegetable oil

FOR THE DIPPING SAUCE
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 Tbs Rice vinegar
1 tsp thinly sliced scallion white
1 pinch toasted sesame seeds

1. The filling: Place the cabbage in a food processor, add 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pulse until finely chopped but not puréed. Wrap the chopped cabbage in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze to remove juices, then transfer to a large bowl. Add ginger, garlic, scallions, and, if desired, garlic chives. Add the shrimp and pork and season with 1/4 cup soy sauce, sesame oil, and salt and pepper. Mix together by hand.

2. Taste the filling by poaching or frying a small amount, and adjust seasonings to taste. To prepare the dipping sauce, combine soy sauce, rice vinegar, scallions, and toasted sesame seeds in a small bowl.

3. To wrap, place 1 tablespoon of filling into the center of a dumpling wrapper. Wet the wrapper's edges, then fold in half to form a taco-like shape. Make a pleat on the side facing you about 20 degrees from the apex of the half-circle and seal with your fingers to the back of the skin. Repeat on the other quarter, in mirror fashion, and seal the dumpling completely, trying to eliminate any air pockets. Repeat until all filling is used.

4. To pan fry, heat oil in a large, nonstick pan over high heat. Add the dumplings in one layer so that they do not overlap. Add water to come halfway up the dumplings, and cover the pan. Reduce the heat to medium-high and cook until all water is evaporated and the bottoms are browned and crispy, about 10 minutes. Alternatively, the dumplings can be steamed until cooked through, about 5 minutes in a steam basket.

5. Transfer the dumplings to a plate and serve with a dipping sauce.

Servings: 4

Source: Panna
Author: ANITA LO



Have a great day

8 comments:

  1. I'll probably just eat them at Chinese restaurants. That looks pretty hard :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really Liz, but it is easier to eat them made by someone else.

      Delete
  2. They had great packaged dumplings at Trader Joe's near me. Then the store moved several miles away. I have never made them myself, but I may just take a ride to that 'far away' store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a store near us Denise, where a young Chinese woman makes dumplings three times a week and they are delicious. Well she did, haven't been there since they tore up all the roads and didn't know how to get there. Can probably get there again now. They have opened the main street.

      Delete
  3. I'm not a dumpling kinda of gal. Texture is too weird for me. :)
    Happy Thanksgiving week! I know, only in America!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love 'em Yolanda.

      Happy Thanksgiving to you. Hope it's a good one. Used to enjoy it when I lived in NC

      Delete
  4. I love pot stickers! I haven't been able to find them here but I think they are on the menu as Peking ravioli. I just usually buy the frozen kind which are tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too JoJo. As you know, we go to the Mandarin a lot and I enjoy them there. However, we have made them and they are good with your own fillings.

      Delete