Saturday, October 22, 2016

Saturday Recipe

This looks and sounds delicious. I couldn't resist sharing it. Not only that, the pastry seems really easy to put together.

Spinach-and-Artichoke Galette

This buttery pastry evokes the classic flavors of Greece with its luxurious, creamy filling of spinach,
artichoke and a hint of citrus.

The Ultimate Savory Pie Crust dough (see below)
1/2 cup crème fraîche
1/2 garlic clove, finely grated
1/2 tsp hot sauce
1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
Salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 cup shredded Manchego cheese
5 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
One 14-ounce can artichoke hearts—drained, quartered and patted dry
1 large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon of water
Thinly sliced scallions, for garnish

1. Preheat the oven to 450°. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a 12-by-16-inch rectangle; transfer to the baking sheet. Fold the dough edge over itself to form a 1/2-inch border all around and pinch the corners together. Refrigerate until firm.

2. Mix the crème fraîche, garlic, hot sauce and zest; season with salt and pepper. Spread over the dough. Top with the cheese, spinach and artichokes. Brush the edges with egg wash.

3. Bake the galette in the bottom third of the oven for about 25 minutes, until the edges are slightly puffed. Cut into squares, garnish with sliced scallions and serve warm.

Source: Food & Wine

The Ultimate Savory Pie Crust

This savory crust is perfect as the base for tasty appetizers, plus it comes together in just 10 minutes.

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
Kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 stick plus 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1/3 cup ice water

1. In a food processor, pulse the flour with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal, with some pea-size pieces of butter still visible. Sprinkle the ice water over the mixture and pulse until the dough just starts to come together; you should still see small pieces of butter. Scrape the dough out onto a work surface, gather up any crumbs and pat the dough into an 8-inch square. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate until well-chilled, about 1 hour or for up to 2 days.

Have a great day
 

12 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - that sounds delicious ... love the flavours ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks very tasty. I need creme' fraiche for a recipe for aligotte but I can't find it. Or the raclette cheese I need. I have no idea where to find these specialized products. I can't even find cheese curds to attempt to make poutine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo I just sent you a link to a recipe telling you how to make Crème Fraiche. As for raclette, I am not sure, seems to be a place in Montréal but that doesn't help you. I wouldn't try making poutine if you paid me. I think it sounds awful.

      Delete
  3. I don't think I've ever heard of a galette before. Or Manchego cheese. Or made anything with crème fraîche. Help! I'm way out of my league, here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bryan, basically galette is fancy name for a flat of pastry or cake or even pancake I think. Crème fraiche is basically a very rich sour cream. Manchego is a Spanish cheese made from sheep milk. Sure there are substitutes.

      Delete
  4. That sounds yummy. I've never tried pastry in the food processor but this sounds easy. I can almost hear my brother scoffing because he makes it that way all the time but it always sounded a bit daunting to me before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. TV Chefs make pastry in processors all the time Helen. I have never tried it myself, but it does look easy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds interesting and I would like to try one but not sure I would make one.

    ReplyDelete