Friday, July 29, 2016

Leg Pillow, Unpacking.

I bought, and received on Wednesday, a memory foam leg pillow. When it got here I thought it was way too big (thick) however, I used it on Wednesday night and it worked. I have a dicky hip which can give me problems when I am in bed. Only one difficulty when I turned on my other side, it was fine for my legs but not for my bad shoulder. In case you wonder, these are some of the delights of getting older. Now I need something to stop my arm dropping down and pulling on the shoulder. Oy vey. Mine is white by the way, not blue. Of course if I had another hip operation I wouldn't need it anyway, but really and truly my hip is not bad enough to warrant a replacement. Pity, it would mean I would get to see "Doogie Howser" in action. In case you don't know or remember, I am referring to my orthopaedic surgeon who looks about 20 to me. Actually I wouldn't see him in action although it is possible. Matt stayed awake once for a hip replacement. It caused him much amusement because he was listening to music on a cassette and it happened that the 1812 overture was playing just when the surgeon was hammering the spike into his leg. The hammering was exactly on time with the cannons firing in the music.

A goodly portion of our home restoration has been completed now. We have all the pictures back on the walls too, they looked so bare. Bugs can hide in them apparently. Just got two more plastic containers to unpack but as they contain a lot of silverware which is somewhat tarnished and needs cleaning, I probably will leave most of it til the weekend. My silk flowers are still in hiding though and the cases containing our winter clothing will probably remain where they are for now too. Both things are in are storage room. My linen cupboard is a right mess at the moment, I wasn't really up to sorting it properly today. Of course we bowled this afternoon too. Still managed to get a lot done.

Not much food preparation been happening, supper has been cheese, crackers and salad although we had a few strawberries to finish off. Yesterday I had my hot and sour soup for lunch which I enjoyed. I suppose if I ate that more often I would get sick of it, but at the moment I feel I could eat it forever.

I bought some salmon fillets on Wednesday so maybe for Friday night.......

Poached Salmon in Lemon Dill Sauce
Zoomer Magazine.
1 1/2 cups dry white wine1 1/2 cups water
1 lemon, sliced
2 sprigs fresh dill
1 dried bay leaf
1/2 tbsp whole black peppercorns
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
6 (6oz) salmon fillets, skin removed

Lemon Dill Sauce
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp grainy mustard
1/2 tsp lemon zest

Directions

1) In a large skillet, combine wine, water, lemon slices, dill sprigs, bay leaf and peppercorns. Bring to a boil over high heat.
2) Season salmon fillets with salt and pepper. Once the water has boiled, add salmon to skillet, cover and turn the heat off, letting the fish poach for 10 minutes or until flaky. Remove salmon from liquid and transfer to plate, refrigerating for at least 2 hours before serving.
3) For the sauce, in a medium bowl, whisk mayonnaise, buttermilk, chopped dill, lemon juice, mustard and lemon zest. Chill and serve with poached salmon.
Serves 6

Have a great day

23 comments:

  1. I have a wonky hip when sleeping too. I thought it hurt at night because my butt was so big and gravity was pulling on my hip harder. LOL. A pillow between the knees helps a good deal.

    I didn't realize the bugs would get in the pictures too. Detestable little things, aren't they?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is good because it is shaped.

      They can get everywhere Liz. Yes they are detestable.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - as Elizabeth says ... I sleep with a pillow between my knees - I found a thin one ... and that helps hugely - so enjoy your sleep ... free of bugs I sincerely hope, and easier on the hip.

    The salmon looks good - I'm eating a lot of it now ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly helps my hip, but I still have the shoulder problem Hilary.

      I enjoy salmon too.

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear things are coming together as you are putting your place back together. We've been having simple dinners here ourselves, less fuss on warm days :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am doing simple dinners more because I am tired than the heat Betty. Not that I always cook up a storm every night of course.

      Delete
  4. Hope you can get everything unpacked soon.
    I'm beginning to discover the joys of growing older...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have Alex, thanks. All done, just a few things still to do.

      And yet the 94 yr. old who comes to our exercise classes claims she has nothing wrong with her and no aches and pains etc. So it doesn't happen to everyone I guess.

      Delete
  5. We have a body pillow which works pretty well. My right shoulder has a torn rotator cuff so I have to have on top of a pillow when I'm on my left side. I didn't think bedbugs could live in pictures if there was nothing for them to eat. Wouldn't they die?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess a body pillow would have worked for me for my shoulder.

      Bed bugs can live anywhere JoJo and they can live for 18 months without feeding.

      Delete
  6. Surgeons often do operate with music in the background. Matt's story is hilarious. Did he have an epidural? I think that pillow would suit me although I can imagine it would drag your shoulder when you roll over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Matt's own music, he was wearing earphones. Yes he did and was awake right through. Not for me thanks. The pillow is good, but yes, the shoulder does drag when I am on the other side. I bought it from Amazon by the way.

      Delete
  7. I'm going to check out the leg pillow. I often wake up with an ache in my shoulder because I tend to fall asleep and not move for six or seven hours.
    Glad the house is getting back together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it Susan. Got it from Amazon. You must be younger than I, I am paying bathroom visits in that many hours.

      You could say it is back together now.

      Delete
  8. It must be nice to have your home back. I'm intrigued by the leg pillow, though, given my current hip problems. How do you use it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen. Here is a YouTube ad showing you how to use it https://youtu.be/SItYQcyT7s0 It's very comfortable and helps relieve hip aches in bed.

      Delete
  9. I sleep with a regular memory foam pillow under my knees. I love it and your recipes look scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently chucked out all our spare pillows. Silly me. This one is shaped nicely for use. Thanks Rick.

      Delete
  10. We use pillow for our legs and, sometimes, arms because of my joints. They start to ache quite badly plus I deal with them falling asleep and waking up from the pain. Glad you don't need an operation yet. My mom has both hips done and the last one she was awake for it and listened to everything...she found it interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt has had both hips and a knee done Birgit, I have only had one hip yet. Like you I am woken by the pain. Not figured out what to do about my shoulder yet, am using my CPAP pillow for it at the moment.

      Delete