Saturday, May 14, 2016

Saturday Recipe

I am always looking for different breakfasts. Matt is quite content to eat the same thing every day, but I get bored. P & G have come up with the following for batch breakfasts.  For me, I would have to find out how many calories.

Breakfast Burritos

Make these filling breakfast burritos, freeze them and reheat them in the microwave for about a minute and a half when you’re ready for a quick breakfast.
This batch should take about 30 minutes to make, and makes about 8 burritos. Use smaller tortillas
and fill each with a little less if you want to make more, smaller portions.

Ingredients

455 grams (1 pound) bacon or breakfast sausage
1 red pepper, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 medium white onion, diced
12 eggs
250 mL (1 cup) shredded Jack cheese
8 large tortillas
Salsa
1-2 dashes hot sauce
Salt and pepper (to taste)


Instructions
  1. Combine 12 eggs and hot sauce in a bowl. Do not over mix. Set aside
  2. In a sauté pan over medium heat, cook bacon or sausage until crisp and drain on a paper towel. Chop cooked bacon or sausage into bite-sized pieces and set aside
  3. In that same pan, sauté the onions and peppers until soft (about 2 minutes)
  4. Add in the egg mixture and slowly stir until the eggs are cooked
  5. Lay out the 8 tortillas and spoon in the egg mixture evenly in the centre of each tortilla until it’s gone
  6. Distribute the Jack cheese and bacon or sausage evenly throughout each burrito
  7. Top each burrito with salsa
  8. To fold: Fold each side of the tortilla in over the edges. Take the side facing you and begin rolling and folding the mixture under. Repeat for each burrito
  9. Wrap each burrito individually in plastic wrap and toss them in the freezer
  10. Reheat for 90 seconds to 2 minutes before eating
Tip: They should stay good in the freezer for about a month.

Have a great day
 

14 comments:

  1. I've never made a breakfast burrito but I've done rice/beans/veggies. I always have trouble wrapping it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to be careful not to overstuff them JoJo.

      Delete
  2. This sounds more like a lunch than a breakfast but a delicious one! I would bore you as I love my toast and honey...every day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything which is the same every day would bore me I'm afraid Birgit. Matt has Fibre 1 every day. Not only that, he lets it go soggy before he eats it.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I might have guessed Ivy. I find them a useful tool for reheating and defrosting in particular.

      Delete
  4. These look great! Honestly, I'd be tempted to make them for an evening meal myself one day for when the family comes over.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Betty. Although they do say you should have a bigger breakfast than dinner.

      Delete
  5. These look and sound great, Jo! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm one of those naughty people who doesn't eat breakfast .... I know its supposed to be the most important meal of the day but I just can't face it ... often I don't eat anything till mid afternoon .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always eaten breakfast Sue, but being diabetic I have to these days, whether I want to or not. I cannot imagine waiting that long to eat.

      Delete