Thursday, March 10, 2016

Bedspread, Cigarette Butt, Fridges,

We finally got everything back into the apartment and the last thing was to take the new bedspread down to the launderette - much too big and heavy for our machines here. Amazing, in the launderette they charge $5 for a wash and you can us quarters for the dryer. I ended up with $1.25 in the dryer and am not sure I needed that much. It is now very much softer than when we bought it which is a good thing.

Whilst moving all the stuff from our balcony I was disgusted to find a cigarette but out there. I suppose somebody threw it off their balcony and it was blow on to ours. Actually, that's pretty dangerous, especially in summer if people are sitting outside.

But.... I am still getting bitten. Not a lot but now and again. Wherever I think I was bitten ends up being sprayed by my trusty little steamer. I do hope we can control it on our own I don't want to have to pack everything up again.

Then our fridge is coming tomorrow. Decided to put all the contents in the coolers with ice or ice packs in the morning and if it hasn't arrived before we go to bowling too bad, we won't be here. I had
a phone call from the super's wife saying I had to be sure to empty the fridge, really? I thought someone else would do that for us!!! Actually I wish there was a good fairy who could deal with it. She said she will know an hour before they are coming and will presumably let us know. I had cereal with warm milk for breakfast today. It was horrid.  We usually drink tomato juice at lunchtime so we put ice in that. Better than warm, but not as enjoyable. As someone commented yesterday, we sure do rely on fridges nowadays. Neighbours confirmed today that they had got a new fridge and it was much smaller. They bought a bar fridge. I checked out the prices, I can get a 1.6 cu. ft. fridge for $119 which isn't bad, or there are a couple of others which range up to $199. We'll see what happens.

As I have mentioned before, curry is very popular in England. I am told that, these days, you can find an Indian shop on every corner like you once could find a fish and chip store. This one has been lightened up somewhat. Canola oil is the same as rapeseed. Bearing in mind the chopsticks in the picture, not sure if this isn't meant to be Chinese although if it were, the chicken would have to be in bite sized pieces.

Chicken katsu curry

BBC Good Food

This healthier katsu is coated in finely chopped flaked almonds and baked in the oven (rather than
fried) until crisp and golden. If you're following the Healthy Diet Plan then this a great dish to add to your repertoire

Serves 2.

  • 25g flaked almonds
  • 1 tsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 300g/11oz total)
  • lime  wedges, for squeezing over

For the sauce

  • 2 tsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil
  • 1 medium onion , roughly chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • thumb-sized piece ginger , peeled and finely chopped
  • 2 tsp medium curry powder
  • star anise
  • ¼ tsp ground turmeric
  • 1 tbsp plain wholemeal flour

For the rice

  • 100g long-grain brown rice
  • spring onions , finely sliced (include the green part)

For the salad

  • 1 medium carrot , peeled into long strips with a vegetable peeler
  • ⅓ cucumber, peeled into long strips with a vegetable peeler
  • 1 small red chilli , finely chopped (deseeded if you don't like it too hot)
  • juice ½ lime
  • small handful mint leaves
  • small handful coriander leaves
  1. Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Cook the brown rice in plenty of boiling water for 35 mins or until very tender.Crush the almonds using a pestle and mortar, or blitz in a food processor until finely chopped, then sprinkle over a plate. Grease a small baking tray with a little of the oil. Brush the chicken on both sides with the remaining oil and season well. Coat the chicken with the nuts and place on the tray. Press any remaining nuts from the plate onto each breast. Bake for 20 mins or until browned and cooked through. Rest for 4-5 mins on the tray, then slice thickly.
  2. Meanwhile, make the sauce. Heat the oil in a medium non-stick saucepan and add the onion, garlic and ginger. Loosely cover the pan and fry gently for 8 mins or until softened and lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Remove the lid for the final 2 mins, and don’t let the garlic burn.
  3. Stir in the curry powder, star anise, turmeric and a good grinding of black pepper. Cook for a few secs more, stirring. Sprinkle over the flour and stir well. Gradually add 400ml water to the pan, stirring constantly.
  4. Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook for 10 mins, stirring occasionally. If it begins to splutter, cover loosely with a lid. Remove the pan from the heat and blitz the sauce with a stick blender until very smooth. Adjust the seasoning to taste. Keep warm.
  5. Once the rice is tender, add the spring onions and cook for 1 min more. Drain well, then leave to stand for a few mins while you make the salad. Toss the carrot and cucumber with the chilli, lime juice and herbs.
  6. Divide the sliced chicken between two plates, pour over the sauce and serve with the rice, salad and lime wedges for squeezing over

Have a great day
 

22 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - it's a pain those biters are still around - I hope you can keep it under control yourself ... while the fridge -hope that works out ok today ... cheersHilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pain and I hope I can control it too. Just steamed my bed and skirting boards.

      As for the fridge, too early yet.

      Delete
  2. Still have bugs? After all that, and everything you've talked about the place lately, I wouldn't want to live there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I am using my trusty steamer Alex. I don't plan on moving, it's not that simple. Unless I could close the door and walk out leaving everything behind which obviously we cannot do.

      Delete
  3. Sorry for the fridge woes now. I think they should replace it with the same size myself. You started paying rent at that size, they should (but won't)reduce your rent if it was a smaller fridge.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fridge is here and it's exactly the same size Betty.

      Delete
  4. I read on the net that the bug eggs can tick to hard surfaces, so wherever you think you're being bitten, maybe you should take a scrubber and give the hard surface a scrub and then hit it with the steamer.

    My house has become so cluttered over the years I would hate to move. Though, I am clearing out one room at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In fact Liz, I understand they like unfinished wooden surfaces to lay their eggs. The steamer should fix them anyway. I hope.

      Well, we have a lot of clutter disposed of because of this problem.

      Delete
  5. Katsu curry is Japanese rather than Indian Jo, guess that's why the chopsticks are in the photo. Having just eaten curry 2 or 3 times per week in India I still haven't got sick of curry ... I love spicy food!

    What a pain about the bugs ... I hope you managed to eliminate the last few

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would account for it then Sue, thanks. I too love spicy food.

      Not got rid of them yet I'm afraid.

      Delete
  6. Moving is so hard to do! I hope your steamer does the trick. I'd hate to find a cigarette butt too. Today we had breakfast at a restaurant and in the booth behind us a man sat down and reeked of cigar smoke. I couldn't wait to leave. :) But I do hope the butt was out when it landed on your patio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too Yolanda, sure don't want to move at the moment. Luckily I can't smell things like that cigar smoke. I hope it was out too but thinking about it, it might not have been.

      Delete
  7. A bar fridge would be so cute. Of course, you'd have to make room for it somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turns out this is the same size as the old one Diane. It isn't the biggest in the world mind you, but if you have to store lots of beer and pop for the family, I understand why you would need the bar fridge.

      Delete
  8. I hope your fridge has arrived and you are able to unpack your coolers. Those bedbugs are tenacious. I think they are right up there with cockroaches as being the only things to survive a nuclear holocaust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, thankfully, what a job that is though. At least cockroaches don't bite, but yes JoJo, you are probably right, they would survive.

      Delete
  9. I hope your fridge comes soon and a mini fridge would work for sure. I wonder if you could get one off of Kijiji. Sad to know you still are getting bitten but I hope they will be gone soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fridge turned out to be the same size Birgit. Don't need a mini one after all. I really don't know what to say about these damned bugs.

      Delete
  10. Gosh they're resilient little bugs! Big bedspreads are such a pain to wash and dry aren't they? Mine doesn't fit in my washing machine either and last time I hand washed it in the laundry sink. It was like wrestling an anaconda trying to get it on the clothes line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they just Pinky. Driving me bonkers. You are right about the bedspreads, but taking it to the launderette was the right answer. Not only that it came out soft and manageable. It was still very stiff from newness. I like the idea of wrestling an anaconda!!

      Delete
  11. Sorry you are still getting bit, and gross on the ciggybutt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivy. I just hope it doesn't happen in the summer.

      Delete