Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Stain Removal, Bowling, Doctor, Risotto, Snowman.

When I was living in North Carolina I bought a tub of Quick 'n Brite which turned out to be the best cleaner I have ever used. I recommended it to the bowling alley recently as they have new carpet and they are finding that it's working. I decided to research it and discovered the only place we can get it in Canada is from Amazon.ca and it costs $46 something for a 20 oz. tub - which does last a long time, I have had mine for years. Then I checked shipping which is another $25 and taxes as well brings it well up into the $70. Now all the bowling alley have to worry about is whether it's worth it. I think, for them, being a business, it definitely is. They have, apparently tried all kinds of cleaners and this is the only one which has worked. Would I recommend anything different!! But at that price. I guess they have to consider what it costs them to replace carpet tiles or clean them. For you, who live in the States, you should try it. Much cheaper there. I have only ever used it for carpets, but in different strengths it is recommended for all kind of stains. It comes as a paste (well mine does) which you mix with water and then use in a spray bottle. Good stuff.

I went to the bowling alley today, threw a couple of balls to try, but it was really too painful. So I had to sit there and watch everyone else enjoying themselves. It is now early evening and I still have heard absolutely nothing from the doctor despite leaving a message and sending them a message from their website. I am NOT a happy camper.

The other day I bought a box of Wild Mushroom Risotto, store brand, and Monday night we tried it. I
sautéed some cremini mushrooms to add and it was pretty good. It does beat standing stirring for hours as one does with risotto. It takes about 17 minutes and apart from giving it an occasional stir, one doesn't have to do much. I was quite impressed. One adds a little Parmesan at the end and some unsalted butter. I will be buying it again. Once upon a time I wouldn't have dreamed of doing this, but with so many things hurting, shortcuts are a necessity these days.

By the way, I forgot to say, when we passed my Ninja Snowman today, he had melted into a pinhead. His head was about the size of a grapefruit.

Halibut is a fish one doesn't often see round here, but it is delicious when you can find it and this sounds an excellent way of preparing it.

Thyme-and-Sesame-Crusted Halibut

WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com
  
Quickly roasting fish at high heat keeps it moist and succulent. The thyme-and-sesame crust gives this halibut a distinctive finish.

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • Freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • 1 1/4 pounds halibut, or mahi-mahi, cut into 4 portions
  • 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
  • 1 1/2-2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
  • 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt, or kosher salt
  • Lemon wedges

Instructions

Step 1
Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
Step 2
Mix lemon juice, oil, garlic and pepper in a shallow glass dish. Add fish and turn to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
Step 3
Meanwhile, toast sesame seeds in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until golden and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl to cool. Mix in thyme.
Step 4
Sprinkle the fish with salt and coat evenly with the sesame seed mixture, covering the sides as well as the top. Transfer the fish to the prepared baking sheet and roast until just opaque in the center, 10 to 14 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.



Have a great day
 

16 comments:

  1. Expense stuff, but if it works it might well be worth the cost. Sorry you're still in pain. Hope for a resolution soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It lasts a long time Yolanda because you mix it in hot water in small quantities and it makes a load of it to use.

      So do I.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tip on the cleaner. I have one that I use regularly but you never know when it might be discontinued. I saw a recipe for risotto in a slow-cooker but not sure my Italian blood will allow me to make it, lol. Hope you hear about your hip soon. Glad to know you stayed off of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of the best I have ever come across Denise. It cleans absolutely everything. Matt knocked over a glass of tomato juice and there was a big puddle on the carpet. Not a sign of it now. Never tried risotto in a slow cooker. My cooker is a bit large so I would end up with one heck of a lot I think. This packet stuff is amazingly good though. I hope I hear soon. I know the doc is just setting up, and I know there are lots of other patients, but really.....

      Delete
    2. I don't know what halibut costs in Canada, but it's pretty pricey here when available.

      Delete
    3. All seafood, bar none, is very pricey in this part of Canada Denise.

      Delete
  3. Yum on the halibut recipe; we made halibut one time in an aluminium foil type wrap tat we put on the barbecue; the halibut and then some veggies like squash, etc. It was soooo delicious!

    Hoping you hear from the doctor soon!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Halibut is delicious if you can find it Betty. I love cooking in foil or parchment, makes clean up so easy.

      Thanks, so do I.

      Delete
  4. I hope you hear from the doctor soon. I just looked up that cleaner on Amazon and I might buy the 'cleaning kit' which is $40 but comes with way more stuff. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JoJo. I only know about the paste which I have been using for years and absolutely swear by.

      Delete
  5. It may take a few days for the Dr to call. That has been my experience but I never had anything broken so I was not a priority. If they don't call right away it might be a case of no news is good news. The waiting kills and so does watching other play when you can't. The halibut meal sounds great. That cleaner sounds really good also but the price...ouch. Unless it takes years. When we think how much cleaners cost at the grocery store and how often we buy them and then compare it to this cleaner...I wonder if it works out. How about that snow! It's coming down heavy here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I faxed them this morning and almost instantly got a reply. They said they hadn't heard from the lab. They phoned me back and the only time they can take me is at the walk in clinic between 5 and 8 on Thursday. Better than nothing I guess. I was getting a tad irritated to put it mildly.

      I love halibut but it is expensive. You live pretty near the border, you could pop over to the US and buy it in Walmarts. I mix 2 large tbs in water. Put it into a spray bottle and it lasts forever.

      Yup we have got lots of snow today.

      Delete
  6. Let's have a quiet moment for the Ninja snowman...
    Never heard of that cleaner, but if it's great for carpets, I'll look for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His body looked a bit sorry for itself too Alex, but I couldn't believe how small the head had become.

      It is great for any kind of stains.

      Delete
  7. that cleaner must work WONDERS! wow! i will try it, could always use a fantastic cleaner to make less work for me =)
    and i take shortcuts all the time in the kitchen with our hectic schedule - i like how you dressed up the risotto and the recipe sounds yummy. i love fish!

    happy new year!
    and thanks for regularly visiting our really real housewives blog! if you'd ever like to guest post for us, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does Tara. I swear by it. Basically I try not to take short cuts of this kind, but as the body begins to betray me, I find I need to do so. Salmon recipe tomorrow.

      Happy New Year to you too. I did guest post one time for Liz over the Christmas period. But I could always do it again.

      Delete