Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Soft Fall, Doctor, Shopping, Risotto, Snow.

I have just heard, from a friend's website, Pinky Poinker, who mentioned a product called Soft Fall a product I have never heard about before. I don't know if it's exclusive to Australia or is used anywhere in this hemisphere, but if it isn't it certainly should be. It is basically a rubber product which is used, for example, in playgrounds so that when kids fall they don't crack their heads open. It is also used in old age centres and anywhere else where people might fall and hurt themselves. They are, apparently, having a problem in Australia with coward punches. I recently heard about those on Good Morning America. Pinky is recommending the use of the Soft Fall outside night clubs where people are frequently "coward" punched. But what a wonderful product especially for the young and old who are subject to many falls. If we don't have it over here, it's time we did. It appears that there are a couple of companies in the States. One is Rubaroc and the other is Surface America however, looking at their sites, this product is used for a lot more things like basketball courts and so on so maybe it's not as unknown to others as to me. However, I do think putting it in playgrounds and places where old folk congregate is an excellent idea. It seems I am way behind the fair on this. Maybe I should get out more.

I went to the bowling alley as I told you and ended up
not bowling. Tuesday morning, have left phone messages, I faxed the doctor and heavens forbid I got a phone call. They said they hadn't received anything and which lab had I been to. Later the phoned back and I am going to see the doc again on Thursday, between 5 and 8 p.m. Actually, Tuesday, I hobbled around the store helping to do the weekly shop which Matt normally does early Wednesday, but there were a couple of things I wanted and which Matt can never find. I ended up traipsing around the whole store. Trouble is, even though we have a shopping list, I am a bit of an impulse buyer and our bill soared. We did buy some very expensive tenderloins which I basically paid for on the PC points we save. In fact last week we spent $100 worth of points on groceries. Cauliflowers are still at $6 and another customer told me they are $7 in Quebec. Pity because we do enjoy cauliflower cheese now and again. Maybe I will have to make Macaroni and Cheese instead. I have cheese sauce in the freezer so not too difficult. I have never tried the packet stuff. Talking of packet stuff, bought some more risotto and as it was on at 2 for $5 naturally I bought 2.

Forgot to mention, it has been snowing practically all day and is supposed to do so tomorrow as well. I guess winter finally caught up with us. Maybe they will re-build the ninja snowman. The roads were a bit slippery this morning, They look pretty well covered right now. Not planning to go anywhere so no problem for us.

We also bought some salmon.

Grilled Salmon with Sweet Jalapeño GlazeFoxes Love Lemons
  • INGREDIENTS:

    • Juice of 1/2 lime
    • 1/4 cup molasses
    • 1-1/2 tablespoon chopped jalapeño pepper
    • 4 center-cut skin-on salmon fillets (about 5 ounces each)
    • Kosher salt and ground black pepper
    • Vegetable oil, for grill

    DIRECTIONS:

    1. Preheat outdoor grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat. In mini food processor, puree lime juice, molasses and jalapeño until smooth.
    2. Sprinkle salmon with salt and pepper. Lightly brush grill grates with oil. Place salmon fillets skin-side up onto grill. Cover and cook 5 to 6 minutes or until fish easily releases from grill.
    3. Flip salmon and continue to cook 6 to 8 minutes longer or until salmon is almost opaque throughout and internal temperature reaches 135 degrees F. Brush salmon with glaze and cook 2 minutes longer. Remove from grill and serve immediately.
  • Have a great day
 

22 comments:

  1. Hi Jo .. the Softfall stuff has been around years ... I noticed it in parks etc and realised the rubbery underfeel. Good luck tomorrow with the hip ... and the packet risotto isn't bad at all and a lot easier ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said, I'm behind the fair Hilary. Never heard of it before. Thanks, I need a bit of luck LOL. You're right, it is easier from the packet. Happy Birthday.

      Delete
  2. Jo, don't they have those little carts you can sit in at the grocer's and wheel yourself around? I used them when I was in a cast. Only problem is reaching something on a high shelf if you try to go alone. I always had one of my sons with me. Hope you get some news soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have wheel chairs Denise, but nothing else that I have ever seen. I have used motorised chairs in Walmarts in the States, but not seen them here much. I think Costo may have them and not sure about Walmarts here don't go often. But NOT the grocery store. At least I don't remember seeing them.

      Delete
  3. Sorry you still don't know what's going on. Hope Thursday you get some answers.
    My wife and I can't do the grocery shopping together for that very reason. Well, we sometimes do, and yes, the bill soars.
    Never heard of a coward punch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Alex, I am pretty sure I do know, but have to have it confirmed. I am the problem with grocery as I don't go often and I see things I want to try, like the risotto, or yesterday I saw some Jamon Serrano (Spanish cured ham) which I love.
      They are a problem in the US according to Good Morning America, how big a problem I'm not sure.

      Delete
  4. That salmon looks delicious! Wouldn't have thought of putting jalepeno peppers on it! Glad you did finally hear from the doctor, but then sounds like you haven't really heard much until you visit with her on Thursday. I like the idea of the Soft Fall for playgrounds and places were older people tend to fall.

    We grocery shop together; we try not to be too impulsive; we keep to a list otherwise we forget half the things we needed :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor me Betty. Not sure Matt would like it though. Not only heard once but they just called me again and the girl had forgotten she had spoken to me yesterday, I ask you!!! I think the Soft Fall is a wonderful idea. If I had any money I would start a company.

      We have a shopping list too, but I tend to get a tad impulsive.

      Delete
  5. I hope you get sorted with the doctor soon Jo.
    We usually go shopping together too and the bill's always more than if I just send Tom with a list! :) Only problem is, he never brings back any surprises lol
    That soft fall is used in playgrounds here - wonderful invention and it would be an amazing idea to have outside clubs and places where a lot of people are hanging around. Coward punches!! what a horrible thought.
    Fil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Fil. This is a painful problem.

      That's it isn't it, no surprises? Same with Matt. I agree the soft fall is a great idea and the idea of clubs having it is a good idea. Coward punches are very dangerous apparently, they had a doc talking about it on TV recently.

      Delete
  6. Cauliflower cheese? Now that's a recipe I need. =D

    Wishing you health and increased strength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can make a cheese sauce then it's simple Crystal. Just cook your cauliflower and pour the sauce over. There is, however, a skill in making a cheese sauce, or at least the basic white sauce.

      Thanks, I need the health and strength right now.

      Delete
  7. I've seen the rubber matting on playgrounds. The coward punching thing has gone around for a while now. It's disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't Susan, but what a great idea.

      It's not just disgusting but, according to a TV doctor, dangerous.

      Delete
  8. Ahhh the old bowling days. You really do have to focus mentally if you want to score big. It doesn't pay to get too excited early on because it'll affect your game. Its probably why my Vulcan friends are always win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Spacerguy. Get a few strikes and then I go all to pieces. Well, the Vulcans wouldn't get all fired up would they.

      Delete
  9. I agree with you 100% about the rubber playground areas and at senior homes etc.. since accidents often happen. I bet there will be more snow this eve. I will cross my fingers and say a prayer for when you see the Dr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen them in Canada have you Birgit? Pray for less snow for me, it's a bit of a walk from the parking lot to the doc's office door and if it's slippery - walking with a cane - I'm in trouble.

      Delete
  10. They've been using similar stuff in new football stadiums too because players were taking a beating with tackles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good idea there too JoJo. Pity they can't make rubberised ice too.

      Delete
  11. The other good thing about Soft Fall is that it's made from recycled tyres! I read that 70% of coward punch assaults occur in or straight outside pubs and nightclubs. Many people are poo-pooing my idea and are saying it would be bubble-wrapping society. I've done five interviews with the press and I can't believe the negative response. It's such a shame. They held the funeral service of an eighteen year old boy yesterday who was coward punched last weekend. What a waste of a life. People are so quick to jump on new ideas. It's quite disheartening Jo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good thing Pinky. I understand these coward punches are becoming a big problem in the States and yet some people haven't heard of them, I only happened to catch it on a TV programme kind of in passing. It is a waste of life. They already bubble wrap us with things like bike helmets and seat belts, so why not Soft Fall outside bars and clubs.

      Delete