Saturday, January 2, 2016

Saturday Recipe

It's Saturday, the festivities are all over for another year and it is time to cut back on all that overeating. I have just discovered I posted this recipe exactly one year ago today. Just shows you what a good recipe it is.

Seared Scallops with Warm Tuscan Beans

Cooking Light

Pair this one-dish meal with a side of garlic bread. It's perfect for sopping up every last drop of the delicious
sauce.

Yield: 

4 servings (serving size: about 4 ounces scallops and 3/4 cup bean mixture)

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 1/2 pounds sea scallops
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup prechopped onion
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
(19-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
(6-ounce) package fresh baby spinach
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

Preparation
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle scallops evenly with salt. Add scallops to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until done. Remove scallops from pan; keep warm.
2. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil and onion to pan; sauté 2 minutes. Add pepper and garlic; cook 20 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in wine; cook 1 minute or until most of liquid evaporates. Stir in broth and beans; cook 2 minutes. Add spinach; cook 1 minute or until spinach wilts. Remove from heat; stir in basil.
Grilled garlic bread is great for dipping into the brothy beans. Heat a grill pan over medium heat. Brush 1 tablespoon olive oil evenly over 4 (1-ounce) slices French bread. Add bread to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Rub one side of each bread slice with cut sides of a halved garlic clove.

Have a great weekend

8 comments:

  1. I've never had a scallop, even before I was allergic to shellfish. BTW, if you are ever in New England, make sure you pronounce it 'SCAH-lup'. After 20+ years on the west coast I often find myself slipping and saying the 'a' like you would say in 'cat'. Which then prompts my friends to glare at me. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pity, they are delicious JoJo. They will possibly glare at me anyway because I have a combined limey/canuck accent these days.

      Delete
    2. I don't know why I didn't try one when I was a kid. Despite being from this region, I was never really that keen on seafood at all. Except shrimp & baked stuffed quahogs.

      Delete
    3. For many years I didn't like oysters until I had them steamed in NC. Then I learned to gobble them and even eat them raw like my parents did. How did you become allergic JoJo?

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo,

    I love scallops and that looks a healthy recipe. Good grief, it's January 3rd. This year is just flying by.

    Have a nice rest of your weekend, Jo.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Gary. Not here it's not yet. about 5 hours to go.

      Thanks

      Delete
  3. This sounds delicious and I love scallops even though I never have attempted to make them. Marking this one down for sure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to be sure to cook scallops very quickly Birgit. Overcook them and they become very rubbery. I miss the days when we lived in NC and I used to buy a gallon of bay scallops at a time and freeze them. Ah well.

      Delete