Friday, January 1, 2016

New Year's Day, Snow, Bowling, Present.

I was busy watching a movie and then a fascinating programme about the earth and all the changes caused by both nature and man. Then of course it was midnight so we had to watch the ball drop in New York City as well as in Buffalo. I drank my bubbly and Matt had his beer. I answered a few blog comments and went to bed, so didn't do my blog for this morning. When I got up, everywhere was good and white again and it is still snowing pretty hard. Not planning to go anywhere today so that's OK by us.

We went bowling as usual yesterday afternoon and my scores were appalling. I didn't achieve 100 in any one of the three games. Never bowled that badly. My excuse was the pain in my hip. Next week I will have to seek some medical help I'm thinking.

One thing, when we got the mail, my earrings which I had ordered as my Christmas present from Matt (I know, complicated) arrived. They are really pretty. I will try and post a picture of them soon.

Enjoy your day and your New Year.

I thought these looked delicious. I have no doubt that many of you will say no to anchovies, well you can choose pimento stuffed instead.  Aioli is delicious  too.   

FRIED OLIVES WITH AIOLI

A bowl of olives is bar food 101. And since Julep, Alba Huerta’s gorgeous Houston bar, is a next-level kind of place, it makes sense they take things a few steps further.
Plump green Manzanilla olives are stuffed with anchovy fillets, pebbled with bread crumbs and then fried
until golden brown. Swiped through some garlicky aioli they’re every bit as irresistible as the bar’s namesake cocktail.
Makes 4 servings
  • 1 Egg yolk
  • ⅔ cup Grapeseed oil (or a blend of canola and mild olive oil)
  • ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
  • 1 clove Garlic
  • ½ teaspoon Red wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons All-purpose flour
  • 1 Egg, beaten well
  • ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
  • 30 Anchovy‐stuffed Manzanilla olives (one 350g can, drained)
  • Canola or peanut oil, for frying
Make the aioli: Set a medium bowl on a kitchen towel (this will prevent the bowl from moving as you whisk). Put the egg yolk in the bowl and whisk to break up. Pour the oil into a measuring cup. Whisking continuously, add the oil, drop by drop at first, until the mixture begins to thicken noticeably. Take care to add the oil very slowly at first to prevent the mixture from separating. When the mixture begins tothicken, add the remaining oil in a thin, steady stream, whisking constantly. If the mixture gets too thick to easily whisk, add a teaspoon (or more) of warm water to smooth out the consistency. In a mortar and pestle, combine the salt and garlic and crush to a paste. Stir the garlic paste into the mayonnaise, then add the vinegar and stir to combine.  The aioli will keep, refrigerated, for up to three days.
Put the flour in one bowl, the beaten egg in a second and the breadcrumbs in a third. Working in batches, dip the olives in the flour, turning to coat, then shake off any excess flour and transfer to the bowl containing the beaten egg. Roll the olives in the egg until coated, letting any excess egg drip off, then transfer to the bowl containing the bread crumbs and roll to coat. Put on a plate and repeat with remaining olives.
Heat a 2-inch depth of oil until it registers 350 degrees on a deep-frying thermometer and set a paper towel‐lined plate nearby. When the oil is hot, add half of the olives and fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove from the oil with a spider or slotted spoon and transfer to the paper towel‐lined plate to drain. Repeat with the remaining olives, letting the oil return to temperature between batches.
Serve warm, accompanied by the aioli.

Have a great day
 

20 comments:

  1. That is an interesting recipe with the olives. Sounds like you had an enjoyable New Year's Eve. We watched the ball drop on New York time and then made it to bed around 10:30 :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so, need to get some olives but Matt says he wouldn't like them, he is not a big eater of olives at any time. Lucky you, you can watch the ball drop 3 hours before we can.

      Delete
  2. I was sound asleep by 10:30. Never even heard any fireworks. Cooking chicken curry for my family later today. Take care of that hip. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am rarely in bed by 10:30 any night of the week Denise. What time's the curry? Happy New Year to you.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo - I wouldn't make them ... but I'm very happy to eat them - love olives and anchovies. Sorry about the bowling - but am glad you enjoy the bubbly and watching the new year in ... good luck with the hip too .. cheers and Happy New Year and 2016 .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might if Matt were interested, he's not. Just had one glass at midnight, had another at lunchtime today. You know the hip progression story.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you have the perfect reason to relax and enjoy the first day of the new year:)

    With those bowling scores... I'd definitely talk to your doctor, (otherwise, it's going to drive you batty trying to overcompensate and then you may hurt your hip more...)

    Happy New Year to you and Matt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Mark, I certainly will relax as much as I can today. Yup, I plan to talk to the doc next week. Can't stand those scores as you said.

      Happy New Year too you too Mork.

      Delete
  5. I'm addicted to the garlic stuffed olives. Soooooo delicious. Sounds like you need to rest your hip more before you bowl again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like olives stuffed with anchovies, garlic or pimento. Had them stuffed with nuts too. All good. Don't know resting it will help, might need repairing JoJo.

      Delete
  6. Wishing you a Healthy, Happy & Yummy, New Year :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivy, and wishing you the same. Much Yummy in fact.

      Delete
  7. Happy and Healthy New Year! ~Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have no problem with anchovies and I love aioli. Yum. All I did on New Year's day was swim. You're over there in the snow and we're sweltering here. I wish be could swap for a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor me Pinky, I love them. Swim, lucky you, we got snow all day. I wish we could swap for a day too.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like you had a nice New year's eve. Sorry to hear about your bowling but 10 to 1 it is because of the pain and favouring the one side. Glad you will see a Dr. It is getting cold out now eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quiet but pleasant, thanks Birgit. I assume that was the problem. It surely is getting cold now. Supposed to be -14 tomorrow. Did you get the snow?

      Delete
    2. We got a little but not much and everything is dry and clear but windy tonight and cold!

      Delete
    3. Ours didn't amount to much in the end Birgit. It is dry and clear here too and has been very windy again. We are high on a hill which makes the wind seem worse.

      Delete