Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Bowling, Ninja Snowman, February Blogfests,

I was delighted to have no hip pain when we went bowling on Monday and although I started out
slowly, my second game was super and I was feeling so happy, no pain and a good score during a league game. The, halfway through the third game my hip decided to hurt again. In fact when I stepped on my left leg to throw the ball it was bl**dy agony. In the end I had to get the other woman team member to bowl my last 3 frames. I was so disappointed. I had been feeling so good. OK, tomorrow I am seeing the doctor for my regular diabetes check up and I will discuss my hip with her. I really don't want to have another replacement, but.... Because of my good second game, my average went up slightly, but I was in such good form, I would have gone up more probably. Oh well.

I keep meaning to mention that there is a snowman on our way to the store with a ninja mask. I keep forgetting it and not taking a pic. I must try and do so, I think of Alex J. Cavenaugh every time I see it. Mind you the snow is beginning to disappear again despite the -14°C temperature today. No snow forecast any time soon either.

I see there are a couple of romantic blogfests in the works for February. Check out people like Denise Covey or Alex J. Cavenaugh who have the details of these blogfests. I  pleaded not being a story writer as a reason for not entering but was told I could always supply Valentine recipes. I will have to get my thinking cap on.

I love noodle dishes and couldn't resist this recipe for Homemade Ramen Noodles. This dish came from A Beautiful Mess. A new blog to me.

Quick and Easy Homemade Ramen
serves two.

1 tablespoon sesame oil
4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
2-3 teaspoons peeled, chopped ginger  
1/2 oz dried mushrooms (I really like porcini but shiitake are great too)
4 cups vegetable or fish stock (low sodium is preferred here)
1/2 to 1 cup water
1-2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon miso paste
4 oz Chinese noodles (usually sold in 8 oz packages, so you get two meals out of it)
1 cup packed spinach
1-2 tablespoons chopped green onion
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional, but do it)
First sauté the garlic and ginger in the sesame oil in a large pot over medium/high heat for 3-4 minutes until very fragrant. Add the stock, water and mushrooms. Reduce the heat to low/medium. Stir in the miso paste and soy sauce. I usually start with 1 tablespoon soy sauce here and I'll taste toward the end and add more if I think it needs it. Cover and let that cook for 4-5 minutes. This will soften the mushrooms a great deal. 
Uncover, turn up the heat and add in the noodles. These will cook pretty quickly, usually in 4-5 minutes. Towards the end of this cook time, toss in the spinach and green onions. You can totally change out the spinach here for chopped kale or bok choy. You could also choose to add more veggies like matchstick carrots, bean sprouts or corn (among other things). Taste and add more soy sauce or the red pepper flakes if you want to add some heat. 

Have a great day
 

20 comments:

  1. Oh Jo, I'm so sorry to hear your hip is bad again. I truly sympathise as I've just come back from Pilates and have more pains than before I started the class. Fingers crossed the doctors can find a solution less invasive than a replacement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had friends tell me about how wonderful shock treatment is Helen, but it's not cheap. Insurance covers a bit bot not a very large percentage.

      Delete
  2. Good luck at the doctor's today! I sure hope you don't need a replacement. Would love to see the snowman before it melts! We just had our first real snow of the winter season. It's 12 degrees F. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JoJo. I must do something about taking a pic. 12°F, that's nothing, its -16°C this morning.

      Delete
  3. I'm just going to keep my mouth shut about you not resting and letting your hip fully heal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, it has felt better for a few days, no pain at all, I have been resting it. However Denise, when they go, they go.

      Delete
    2. Several years ago I sprained a hip while hiking. Doc says to stay off of it except for just getting around for at least six weeks. I felt better after two weeks and started back into hiking. Hip gave out and I fell. I've had bursitis off and on till this day. Just saying.

      Delete
    3. I guess you are right Denise. Will talk to the doc this aft.

      Delete
  4. You better mention your hip to the doctor today.
    Thanks for mentioning the blogfest.
    And you have to take a picture of that snowman before he melts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will Alex, I will.
      You're welcome.
      I will try, but I am not the best at taking pix of things.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful that your average is rising, sorry about the hip. For the blogfests, even a picture of your favorite valentine would do, with a little background too, of course. You'd have no problem doing either hop - recipes or pictures. Hope all goes your way at the docs.
    Oh, and please a picture of that snowman would be great. We have the cold temps but no snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it was until I had to stop Yolanda. I will be thinking about the blogfest.

      I will also be trying to take a pic.

      Delete
  6. Glad you are seeing the Dr. Due to my Ehlers-Danlos-years ago I "knocked" out my hip while dancing. My hip popped back in again but I badly sprained the tendons and ligaments. It took 4 months to heal and I had a hard time walking. It's always good to get things checked. Remember too, I take a long time to heal given my issue so you may only need to stay off your feet for a while. Love to see the snowman pick before the rains come on Thursday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up having an Xray this afternoon so we will see. Not really familiar with your disease but doesn't sound too pleasant. Grr, just realised I forgot about it again.

      Delete
  7. Yesterday it was 37.7 celcius here (that's 99.86 F). It is soooo hot! I'd love some snow. My poor dogs are suffering and I have to put ice in their water bowls. At least you've had an xray now so your hip will be diagnosed. Hopefully it's just soft tissue and will repair itself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew, 37.7°C I would be melting and panting. Do you allow your dogs to use the pool? And do you have air conditioning?

      They said the doc would have the results in a couple of days.

      Delete
  8. Oh, Jo, that hip. I hope the x-rays show what's wrong and it doesn't mean another hip replacement. Bowling and bad hips sort of don't go together do they?

    It would be super great to have you along for either/both bloghops. WEP welcomes photographs, artwork, non fiction as well as fiction and poetry. Plenty of scope and it is always lovely when people give it a go and enjoy the experience! Since you're blogging anyway...:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No they don't go together too well Denise.

      I will probably do something. I did a Valentine's Dinner a few years ago, maybe I will start from there.

      Delete
  9. Ah the Blogfests. Been so busy taking time off from blogging I forgot there would be new ones. Thanks Jo for the reminder. i'll stop by Alex's bright and early tomorrow for the latest and greatest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They come in a spate before the A to Z Stephen. Thanks for the article about the galaxies. Fascinating stuff.

      Delete