Thursday, December 17, 2015

Shopping, Road Works,

No exercises for me again on Wednesday, not 100% OK yet so obviously didn't want to risk it. I think I will try bowling tomorrow though.

Busy afternoon, went to Cambridge to deliver some Avon to a friend and had a glass of wine with them. What a rotten day, drizzly and cold. What happened to all our sunshine. Been a lousy week really. Came back and went to the store to buy the pork for Boxing Day (26th). Didn't want to leave it til next week as I figured the store might be crowded. Went in to our usual grocery store on Tuesday and had to stand in a long line to get checked out and that was in the "only 12 items" line. All the others had long lines too as did the self check out area. I was surprised it was so busy. I was also surprised at the price of the pork. Very reasonable I thought. A chunk of the leg with the skin left on which will be turned into crackling, yum. You can keep the pork for me, just give me the crackling. After the store, we had to come home on King St. that's the one with all the road works. They will be laying train tracks along there and you could see the rails waiting. A friend tells us when they first came to Kitchener, many years ago, they had just finished ripping out all the tram lines, now we appear to be getting a similar installation put back again. I cannot imagine who authorised it but I think it is one hell of a waste of money. I am told it is principally aimed at the students in Waterloo attending the universities. Waterloo being the next town and you don't really notice when you travel from one to the other, they are virtually one big city.

Got friends coming in for dinner on Saturday. Hunting around for a starter and came across one which I have served to them before. Then decided it's too many calories for yours truly added to everything else. However, not sure if I have ever posted it before, but thought I would do so now. I usually serve them with Brie and Ham. I haven't tried Shu Chan's (a friend) options. They are very simple to make and very quick. I discovered I have posted it before, but it's worth doing so once again.

Convent Eggs


Butter for greasing ramekins
2 eggs
2 Tbs heavy cream
salt and pepper

OPTIONAL
½ oz Brie
½ oz chopped ham

Shu Chan's Options
sautéed leeks
Parmesan Cheese

1. Butter the ramekins then put in cheese and ham if using. Slide an egg into each ramekin, season and add 1 tbs of cream. Bake for 8 minutes at 350F

2. Alternatively add leeks to bottom of ramekin and sprinkle eggs with Parmesan

Servings: 2

Have a great day
 

20 comments:

  1. I would love to live in an area that has public transportation. Way too many folks out here driving who should be off the roads. I love visiting cities where I do not need a car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have lots of buses here Denise. We don't need the LRT.

      Delete

  2. Hi darling, how are you today? I love this, another great post.
    Thank you for sharing this with us.
    Check out my new post if you're interested:
    http://its-dominica.blogspot.co.uk/
    Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of convent eggs but they sure sound good!! I've only ever read about crackling in the Little House books. I've never had it. Glad you got a good deal on the meat. Meat is sooooo expensive here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good JoJo. I love crackling, it used to be difficult to get a piece of pork with the skin on round here, but it's easier now. Meat is expensive here too JoJo, but not, for some reason, this cut of pork.

      Delete
  4. Our grocery stores are becoming rather crazy as well. Time to hide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK if you can hide Alex, but grocery shopping still has to be done whatever the season.

      Delete
  5. Sorry no bowling. Hope you feel 100 percent soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivy. I seem to be more or less OK now. I bowled this afternoon, had a bit of pain after the first game but it went away.

      Delete
    2. Glad it went away. If I could make an Xmas wish, it'd be that you didn't have any more pain.

      Delete
  6. Hi Jo - I hope you'll be bowling tomorrow. Wonderful thought of roast pork ... love it! Good luck with the dishes - they look interesting ... while the travel arrangements just happen don't they - they're digging up our town centre too ...

    Cheers - Christmas shopping is awful at the best of times ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bowled today Hilary. Had a bit of pain but it disappeared after a while so that is OK. I bought some apple sauce today to go with the pork. Here they eat it as a side dish, not just as a sauce.

      Isn't it just?

      Delete
  7. Hubby manages a grocery store. I don't think I'll see him again until the holiday. Busy, busy time. I just hope he remembers to bring our Christmas Ham home. :)
    Glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't supposed you will Yolanda. Very busy time of year. Ham? No turkey?

      Delete
  8. I wonder how many people in the 12 items or less line had more than 12 items. That really annoys me. It annoys me when the checkout person ducks off to sell cigarettes to people as well. Groceries should take precedence over cigarettes. The queues and crowds at grocery stores are getting me down as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily that doesn't happen in our grocery store. They have a separate attached store for cigarettes and lottery tickets. I agree they should take precedence Pinky. Funnily enough, we popped in tonight and the check out queues were not bad at all.

      Delete
  9. I'm glad to hear you're improving. It's so frustrating when you can't be as active as you want.
    Those eggs sound delicious. I'll be trying the Shu Chan variation, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much better now thanks Helen. I'll be interested to know what the Shu Chan version tastes like, never done them.

      Delete