Saturday, December 19, 2015

Saturday Recipe

I haven't had eggnog in years. Mainly because of the calories I guess. This one sounded really tempting. Pretty alcoholic too I think.

Martha Stewart's Eggnog

This eggnog's rich, cloud like texture is produced by separating the eggs and beating the whites before adding them to the milk mixture. The eggnog base can be made one day in
advance; just beat in the stiff egg whites and whipped cream just before serving.

26 servings

  • 12eggs, separated
  • 12cups superfine sugar
  • 1quart whole milk
  • 12quarts heavy cream
  • 3cups Bourbon
  • 12cup dark rum
  • 2cups cognac
  • freshly grated nutmeg
  • In a very large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and pale yellow. Gradually add sugar to yolks. With a wire whisk, beat in milk and 1 quart cream. Add bourbon, rum, and cognac, stirring constantly.
  • Just before serving, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into mixture. Whip remaining 1/2 quart heavy cream until stiff, and fold into mixture, Sprinkle with nutmeg.
  • Note: Raw eggs should not be used in food prepared for pregnant women, babies, young children, the elderly, or anyone whose health is compromised.

Have a great weekend
 

22 comments:

  1. Fortunately I'm not a fan at all of eggnog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, ha, I'm not a fan either, but hubby and sons love the stuff!

    Thanks, Jo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with hubby and sons then Yolanda. Wish I could indulge as much as I once did, but having lost a lot of weight, I don't want to put it back.

      Delete
  3. Happy Saturday. Enjoy your dinner party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks it was fun although guests not that keen on chicken apparently Ivy.

      Delete
    2. I just read that in your other post. Sorry to hear that didn't fancy it. I of course, love paprika and chicken. Though I ran out of sweet paprika and bought more today.

      Delete
    3. Not so much the sauce as the chicken they weren't keen on Ivy.

      Delete
    4. Did they tell you what they didn't like?

      Delete
    5. They are very old friends and I guess I never realised they didn't much like chicken Ivy. I know most of their other likes and dislikes, there are quite a lot of them.

      Delete
  4. I will pass this on to my husband Jo. He loves eggnog and buys it from the supermarket in a carton which is very expensive. Plus it's clearly not the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure he will find it better than the stuff from the supermarket Pinky. Not sure this would be very cheap with all that liquor.

      Delete
  5. I love eggnog! Thanks so much for sharing, Jo! Hope your dinner party was fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Linda, not 100 % fantastic unfortunately. Turns out they are not big on chicken.

      Delete
  6. Hi Jo - I personally cannot stand egg-nog .. but we don't seem to see it here ... well I haven't. I had it when I visited the States in the 70s ... and put on a lot of weight ... mostly that I suspect! Cheers and have a good last few days ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I don't remember it in England Hilary, although I have a Mrs. Beeton's recipe for it. The stores all sell it here of course, and we have bought it in the past. It is good for weight gain!! You too. Be a busy week here I suspect.

      Delete
  7. I love eggnog and this recipe looks very similar to mine. Unfortunately, (or fortunately for my weight), I am the only one in my family who likes it, so I never make it. Your guests sound rather ungrateful. Did they actually say they didn't like chicken?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot of alcohol in it Denise, more than usual I thought. Well the wife and I were talking before dinner and she mentioned her hubby didn't like chicken, when I expressed concern, she said he does eat it though. However, he didn't eat much of his portion and even she didn't finish her portion but they assured me they neither of them eat much any more - they split a fillet mignon between them?

      Delete
    2. Well, I never added the full amount of alcohol. Split a filet? I suppose if it is an 8 ounce filet that would be OK. I have friends who split a sandwich at Arby's. If she let the guy eat more, I think he might have more energy, lol.

      Delete
    3. I think, but couldn't swear to it, that the recipes I have for eggnog only include one alcohol, usually rum, sometimes brandy.

      No she meant a small fillet Denise. It is a fact that many older people lose their appetites. I should be so lucky.

      Delete
  8. The eggnog sounds decadent but there is the dreaded Cognac which I can't even smell, even after all these years. Let's just say I was a foolish 19 yr old:)

    ReplyDelete