Thursday, December 31, 2015

New Year's Eve,


Of course we will be bowling this afternoon but we will be having a quiet evening ending it with a glass of bubbly for me at midnight. Not sure if Matt will drink beer or gin. How come I married a man who doesn't like champagne? My family all drank it at the drop of a hat. Although one time, my mother was presented with a couple of bottles of one of the world's top champagnes by the well known owner of the vineyard. She saved one for when we joined them in Malta and, sad to say, I didn't enjoy it. She was given a case of red wine as well and that was wonderful. Maybe my palate isn't sufficiently well educated.

Anyway, I do hope you all have a wonderful New Year and that it will be both healthy and happy. I expect you all to make this recipe for tonight of course.

I nearly forgot, to those of you who have been nagging  concerned about my health, I am doing pretty well. It wasn't my muscles that were involved so much as the bones being jarred by the fall. I think I might end up with a hip replacement in the not too distant future, but I have been expecting that to happen anyway, I just may have urged it along a bit. So, thank you all for your kind concern, but I am doing OK.

I couldn't resist posting this recipe. I only ever tried making a raised pork pie. It was moderately successful although we did have a bit of trouble with the jellied stock leaking through a hole near the top and had to keep topping it up when it cooled and jelled. It was delicious. These raised pies with hot water crusts are/were very popular in England. One of the classics being the Melton Mowbray Pie. We can buy these in Canada although they lack something. This recipe attracted me because of the cranberry topping. It looks so attractive.


Cranberry-topped raised pie

Cranberry-topped raised pie





Prep: 1 hr Cook: 2 hrs, 20 mins plus resting and at least 3 hrs chilling

For the keen cook

Serves 12 - 15


This raised pork, chicken and bacon pie, topped with festive fruit, makes for a magnificent centrepiece for a Christmas or Boxing Day buffet



Ingredients

    For the filling

    • 500g boneless pork shoulder, skin removed, chopped into 2cm/¾ in pieces (ask your butcher for 300g/11oz pork bones if you want to make your own stock)
    • 250g pork belly, skin removed, chopped into 2cm/¾ in pieces
    • 650g chicken drumsticks and thighs, skin and bones removed, chopped into 2cm/¾ in pieces – you should have about 375g/13oz (save the bones to make stock, if you like)
    • 100g smoked streaky bacon, cut into small pieces
    • ½ tsp ground mace
    • 2 pinches of ground nutmeg
    • 1 tsp ground white pepper
    • 1 tsp ground black pepper
    • 1 fresh bay leaf, very finely chopped
    • 4 thyme sprigs, leaves picked
    • ½ bunch parsley finely chopped
    • 4 sage leaves, finely chopped

    For the hot water pastry

    • 140g lard, chopped into small pieces
    • 550g plain flour
    • 1 egg, beaten, to glaze

    For the jellied stock

    • 300ml good-quality chicken stock
    • 2 gelatine leaves

    For the topping (optional)

    • 50g granulated sugar
    • 100ml dry sherry
    • 200g fresh or frozen cranberry

    Method

    1. Mix together all the filling ingredients in a large bowl and season with 1.5 tsp salt.
    2. Now make the pastry. Pour 150 ml water into a saucepan, add the lard and 1/2 tsp salt, and bring to the boil. Once the lard has melted, remove from the heat.
    3. Meanwhile, sift the flour and 1 tsp salt together into a large bowl. Pour over the hot liquid and stir vigorously to form a dough.
    4. Tip onto your work surface and knead for a couple of mins to develop the gluten slightly and create an even-textured pastry. (Once made, keep covered with cling film – see tips.)
    5. Remove roughly one-third of the pastry and set aside to make the lid later. Roll the remaining pastry to the thickness of a £1 coin (3.5 mm). You’ll need a 20 cm-deep springform cake tin to assemble the pie in.
    6. Line the cake tin with the pastry, pushing it well into the corners and up the sides of the tin (use a small ball of dough to do this). Leave any excess hanging over the top of the tin.
    7. Add the filling to the pie, packing it tightly – this will expel any air pockets and create a nice flat top for the cranberries to sit on later.
    8. Roll out the reserved pastry to the same thickness and lift it onto the pie to create a lid. Press into the pastry around the edges and trim off any excess. Crimp with 2 fingers if you like. Brush the top of the pie with beaten egg. Cut a hole in the centre to let the steam out as it cooks. You can now chill it for up to 24 hrs or cook straight away. Heat oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
    9. Bake for 30 mins, then reduce heat to 150°C/130°C fan/gas 2 and bake for another 1 hr 45 mins. If you have a meat thermometer, the internal temperature of the pie should be 75°C. If not, insert the end of a spoon into the centre of the pie and hold it there for 10 secs – it should be hot to the touch.
    10. Place the tin on a wire rack to cool, then remove the pie (see tips). Warm the stock and put the gelatine in a bowl of cold water to soften for 5 mins. Squeeze out any drops of water, then add the gelatine to the stock, stir in until dissolved, and season well. Transfer to a jug.
    11. If there is no gap between the pastry and meat, you'll need to poke a skewer into the hole and wiggle it around to create space for the stock. Pour two-thirds of the stock into the central hole (use a piping nozzle as a funnel, if you have one), or as much as you can, but reserve about 4 tbsp for the topping. Chill for at least 2 hrs.
    12. Dissolve the sugar with the Sherry over a low heat. Once dissolved, bring to the boil and add the cranberries. Cook for 1-2 mins, but remove from the heat before the cranberries burst. Leave to cool. Once the stock in the pie has set to a jelly, top with the cranberries. Melt your remaining jellied stock in a saucepan over a low heat, then use it to brush the cranberries generously. Return to the fridge for 1 hr to set the topping. Enjoy within 3 days.


    Have a great New Year.
     

    26 comments:

    1. Happy New Year, Jo! I might take my champagne early as these celebrations of food and drink have taken their toll. Can't wait to return to 'normal'! I'm glad your health is not too bad. Let's hope 2016 is great for you.

      I'll pass on that gorgeous recipe. Lovely to look at though!

      Denise :-)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Happy New Year Denise. I do know what you mean about returning to 'normal".

        It tastes good too.

        Delete
    2. Replies
      1. Thanks Bob and the same to you. Will be sending you some stamps soon.

        Delete
    3. Happy New Year Jo - and enjoy that champagne later on. Health is always a challenge, but am glad the bruises are healing. The pork pie looks wonderful - and I too love them ... they are good especially with a good chutney ... all the best for 2016 - cheers Hilary

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. And to you Hilary. I will enjoy my fizz. Health is a challenge especially as one gets older. I love a good pork pie too.

        Delete
    4. Happy New Year to you and Matt. I hope to be asleep at midnight assuming the fireworks do not wake me up, or Charlie, who is spending the night. Never liked New Year's Eve all that much. I'll have my champagne with dinner on January 1.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Denise. Maybe you need ear plugs. Always enjoyed New Year's Eve especially when I was younger.

        Delete
    5. We both like champagne, but only have it once a year on New Year's. We don't open it until right before midnight though. Any sooner, and we'd both be asleep, as it knocks us out.

      Happy New Year.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. We buy me the small bottles which are a glass each. Just as well as Matt doesn't drink it. If you have any left over, you can put it in the fridge with a silver spoon handle in the bottle neck. Must be silver though.

        Delete
    6. Happy new year Jo & Matt!!!!! I've never been a fan of champagne either. Or wine. Or alcohol in general! I will take a sip when there's a toast but I won't finish it. I sure hope you don't need a hip replacement. Can your doctor send you to physical therapy instead to see if that helps?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You are not alone JoJo, but I do enjoy my drinks now and again. I am exploring options, not much one can do at this time of year, will check stuff out next week.

        Delete
    7. Enjoy your champagne :) I don't think I will end up making it to midnight to toast in the new year here :) That is an interesting cake; looks too complicated to make and probably too rich for my palate :)

      Happy New Year!

      betty

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. To be perfectly honest Betty, we might not either. We shall see. That isn't a cake, its a savoury pie. They are not that rich at all. Such pies are eaten a lot in the UK.

        Delete
    8. The cranberry topping looked good but not the inside:) I am not one for meat pies but I am one for Champagne although some I have tried was more vinegar than champagne. My mom had 2 hip replacements and once they were done, she felt so much better. Enjoy your bowling and have a wonderful New Year's eve. Next year is a new day:)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You probably might like this, they are delicious Birgit. Does you local grocery stock Melton Mowbray pies. In our Zehrs they are sold where the pre-cooked foods are. There are little ones, not the best, but still tasty.

        Matt has had two hips and a knee replaced, I have had one hip done. Don't want to go again, but looks like I might have to. My bowling today was appalling. Didn't make 100 once. Have a wonderful New Year's too.

        Delete
    9. A Happy Healthy 2016, to you and your honey bunny, Jo.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Ivy, the same to you and your hunny bunny.

        Delete
    10. My husband doesn't like champagne either. It gives him indigestion.I hope you enjoy/enjoyed your glass of bubbly Jo. It's new year's day here and I've woken with just a slight headache. I plan on starting my NYR of drinking a lot more water. You have a wonderful time xxx

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I have just finished enjoying a glass of fizz Pinky and will be drinking another tomorrow (sorry later today).

        Sorry about your headache.

        Delete
    11. Happy New Year Jo, Live Long and Prosper!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You too Spacerguy. I wish I could do the Vulcan sign on here.

        Delete
    12. Hi Jo,

      I'm typing from next year :) Here's to you and your loved ones having a wonderful 2016, complete with some awesome bowling! I've got a bit of cranberry sauce left. Guess that wont work in that recipe.

      Gary

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh Gary, you need to be in bed. Nope, cranberry sauce ain't the same thing. My bowling today was disastrous but then my hip is playing up....

        Delete
    13. Happy 2016, Jo. I've enjoyed your postings, though I've missed a bunch lately. I'm having strawberries and chocolate dip. Yum.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Dixie. Sounds pretty decadent but I would still want my bubbly with that.

        Delete