Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Ghosts of Forgotten Empires, Funeral Home, Formatting.


On December 2 I told you about a book I had been asked to read and review. It was called Ghosts of  Forgotten Empires by Michael J. Foy  The request came from Christine at Newshelves. I really enjoyed this story. There were a few problems with the editing from the point of view of a proof reader at least, but the story was very good and definitely a page turner. I will be looking forward to reading the sequel(s).  The story ranges over man's total existence in the world and, from the story's point of view, explains a number of past events and why they happened. A very imaginative story as well as very wide ranging. I do hope you will try it out for yourself, assuming you are a sci fi/fantasy reader of course. It took me a bit longer than it should because I was still overwhelmed by library books which had to be returned by certain dates. However, now I have finished all of them and also this book. Phew.


































Author:  Michael Foy
Publisher:  Telemachus Press
Pages:  250

Synopsis:  Ancient artifacts like nothing ever discovered before are uncovered in Egypt. They are manufactured by a technique unknown to man and defy all attempts at analysis. Two top intelligence operatives from Russia and the United States acquire these artifacts and are instantly endowed with god-like abilities. But as everyone knows absolute power corrupts absolutely and even with strong national loyalties how will these men react? Thus a new cold war is born with men and weapons that make a nuclear deterrent look quaint. The one thing that gives American intelligence freelancer, Cord Devlin an edge is also the thing that makes him immature in Paul’s eyes. Cord’s deep and abiding love of all things Star Trek and the lessons it inspired will also help him deal with an otherworldly threat whose sole purpose is to indefinitely continue the conflict.

I mentioned the closure of the funeral home where I had worked as a part timer for a few years. I had asked a friend about protection for the building. Apparently it has never been designated as a heritage site so there is no order of preservation. Having heard a rumour that a local grocery chain wanted to develop the site, I was hoping it wouldn't happen. There is a plan afoot to have a reunion in the family centre on Dec. 21st and I am hoping I will be able to attend.

My apologies, I am having formatting problems today and can't seem to fix them. I am not very up on HTML where I could, presumably, fix it.

This is apparently a lighter version of my very favourite soup. I found it on Food and Wine. I haven't compared it item by item, but I don't see a lot of difference from recipes I have read before. We are lunching at the Mandarin today so I will be indulging myself.

Hot-and-Sour Soup      

In the Lucky Peach cookbook, author Peter Meehan champions this lighter, fresher, more flavorful version of the Chinese takeout classic. 

Ingredients

  • 1 ounce dried wood ear mushrooms (1/2 cup)
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1/2 pound lean pork shoulder, sliced 1/8 inch thick and cut into 1-by-1/4-inch strips
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
  • 1/2 cup chopped scallions
  • 4 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
  • 1/2 pound soft tofu, cut into 1/2 -inch dice
  • 1/3 cup unseasoned rice vinegar, plus more for serving
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon Sriracha, plus more for serving
  • Kosher salt
  • 2 large eggs, beaten



Instructions




  1. In a small bowl, cover the mushrooms with boiling water and let stand until softened, about 30 minutes. Drain and coarsely chop the mushrooms; discard the soaking water. 

  2. In a large saucepan, heat the canola oil. Add the pork, garlic, ginger and scallions and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the pork is golden brown, about 3 minutes. Stir in the stock and add the tofu, 1/3 cup of vinegar, the soy sauce, sugar, pepper, sesame oil, mushrooms and 1 tablespoon of Sriracha. Bring the soup to a simmer and season with salt. While stirring constantly, drizzle in the eggs and cook until strands form, 1 minute. Serve hot, passing rice vinegar and Sriracha at the table. 


Have a great day

18 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - the book sounds an interesting read ... but something I'm not into. I hope the Funeral Home doesn't turn into yet another shopping centre ... as is so often the case. The soup is just what we will need when winter proper comes along ... still wet here .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good read Hilary. Sorry you are not into a book like that. Seems there is nothing to stop it if the grocery chain want it. I love hot and sour.

      Delete
  2. I am guessing that when you cut and pasted from Amazon the formatting got inputted into your script and then you need to revert to your regular script. Twenty years ago when I had a webpage I had to write in HTML. Switch to the HTML view when writing your post and see if you can figure it out. I've had the same issues and know how frustrating it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I didn't Denise, I cut and pasted from my own blog. I have never had this trouble with the formatting before. I have used HTML but not much. I did manage to make some of it better, I had a big gap for a while that I couldn't get rid of.

      Delete
  3. The book sounds really interesting - it'll make a good film. Funny, I love scifi on film but have never got in to reading it. Must give it a go sometime. Such fun to be asked to review a new writer - the start of a new direction for you Jo.
    This soup looks lovely - might give it a try. Have a good day. Fil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably would make a good film. I read a lot of sci fi and fantasy. Didn't read much fantasy when I was younger, love it now.

      Hot and sour is a good soup Fil. I will be having a bowl at lunchtime today. In the restaurant that is.

      Delete
  4. It would be a shame if that beautiful old building was torn down to make way for a grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right JoJo, it would be a shame, but nothing one can do unless there is a big protest organised. Even then......

      Delete
  5. The book does sound good.
    I don't think our hot and sour soup recipe has as many ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good book Alex. I just had hot and sour in the Mandarin and have brought myself some to eat/drink at home.

      Delete
  6. The book sounds good..the future of the Funeral home, not so much. I hope the grocery store will be haunted then. It is such a shame

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is good Birgit. The funeral home is already haunted.

      Delete
  7. It's interesting what gets deemed a heritage site and what doesn't. Hope you make the reunion anyway. There's a button on blogger I use to delete all highlighted formatting, then I change it to what I want. It's the T on the right hand side with the red cross. I suppose you already tried that though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is isn't it? I wish this one had been designated. Yes, tried the T as well but it just didn't seem to get rid of it. I really couldn't figure it out at all. However, it ended up looking better than it had been earlier.

      Delete
  8. I love my own take on hot and sour soup. All soups, really from home to me, THE BEST!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make a lot of soups Ivy, but never made a hot and sour.

      Delete
    2. Do you ever think you'll give it a go?

      Delete
    3. Yes I think so Ivy. Can't keep going to the Mandarin after all. Mind you, I'm not sure Matt likes it nor am I sure if it would freeze. Maybe if I left the tofu out.

      Delete