Thursday, December 3, 2015

Christmas Buffet, Radishes.

I have just been sent a pdf of the Chrtistmas buffet menu from the restaurant we have booked for Christmas Day

Christmas Day Buffet Menu

Freshly Baked Bread
Assortment of freshly baked rolls and flatbreads (V)

Appetizers & Cold Selections
Winter garden greens with toppings and selection of dressings (G, V, D)
Ceasar salad (G, V)
Tri - coloured penne pasta, sweet bell peppers with a pesto vinaigrette (V)
Roasted beet salad with poached pears and honey sage balsamic
vinaigrette (G, V, D)
Oriental noodle salad, crisp vegetables, ponzu hoisin ginger vinaigrette (V)
Red skin potato salad, fire roasted corn, sweet peas and a pommery mustard
thyme mayonnaise (G, V)
Red and yellow heirloom tomatoes, basil julienne, baby bocconcini, balsamic
vinaigrette. (G, V)
Peel and eat shrimp, lemons, cocktail sauce and yuzu mango salsa (G)

Vegetables
Vegetable crudite tower (G, V, D)
Grilled vegetables and spiced olives (G, V, D)

Main Course Selections
Seasonal vegetables (G, V, D)
Buttermilk roasted garlic mashed potatoes (V)
Maple grilled sweet potato (G, V, D)
In-house smoked and grilled honey garlic ribs
Atlantic salmon fillet, orange lemongrass cream (G)
Grilled chicken breast, cipollini onion, bacon sherry demi glaze (G)
Wild mushroom lasagna (V)
Herb stuffing (D)
Roasted young Ontario turkey (G)
Breaded pork schnitzel

Carvery
Slow roasted top sirloin (D)
Beef gravy, horseradish, Dijon mustard, sweet ham glaze (D)

Desserts
Selection of colossal tortes and cheesecakes (V)
In house made petite pastries (V)
Fresh fruit and berry display (G, V, D)
Gourmet cheese and assortment of crackers (V)
Warm Christmas pudding and sauces

G = Gluten free V=Vegetarian D= Dairy Free

Pig tails available by request

I think I will need to give up eating for a week before and another week afterwards.

I finally got some radishes today, I haven't done much with them because we have had no water all day, but I pulled off a piece of the greenery and tasted it. I must confess, I was not impressed with it. I don't think I will be trying it in pesto after all. Mind you the bunches I have, the greenery isn't all that good anyway. I will, however, be trying the roasted radishes dish I posted before. It is a bit heavy on oil and I might reduce that somewhat. Mind you, the way I have been picking at the radishes all day, there may not be any left.

I published this dish a while back. The polenta could also be made at home. It's not that difficult.

Smoky Shrimp and Parmesan-Polenta Cakes



Invite company over for this gourmet-inspired dish that's a snap to make. Serve with salad greens splashed with vinaigrette.

1 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp 1/4 cup dry white wine 
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives 
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice 
1/4 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika 
1 17-ounce tube polenta, cut into 8 (1/2-inch) slices 
Cooking spray 
8 teaspoons marinara sauce  
8 teaspoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese 
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley 

Preparation


1. Preheat broiler.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until done, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in wine, chives, juice, and paprika, tossing to coat. Keep warm.
3. Place polenta slices on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Top each slice with 1 teaspoon sauce and 1 teaspoon cheese; broil 3 minutes or until cheese melts. Place 2 polenta slices on each of 4 plates; top each serving evenly with shrimp mixture. Sprinkle with parsley.

Have a great day
 

24 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - too delicious ... I'd be there for a week, trying each dish! 2nd week .. I'd be back for left-overs ... I know that's not probably on the cards ... but the thought is nice. Not to sure about roasted radishes ... I love them fresh and seem to buy a packet for my daily salad ... I do like cooking with polenta - and these shrimp and parmesan cakes look wonderful. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Hilary. One can't even take doggie bags (do they have those in the UK?)

      I enjoy Polenta now and again.

      Delete
  2. Salmon sounds good! Pass on the pig tails though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salmon is the only thing you'd go for Alex?

      Delete
  3. Whoa. At first I thought you were cooking all that. LOL
    Eat up! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a horrid thought Melissa. I will just try eating a lot of it.

      Delete
  4. I wonder how many requests they get for pig tails?? Otherwise sounds like a delicious buffet!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking about it. I do love pigtails Betty. However, we are being treated so I think I won't add what, I assume, will be an extra charge.

      Delete
  5. That buffet looks AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! I was a little perplexed by the pig tails too. Is that for people's dogs or do humans eat them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look good JoJo. Pig tails are for humans JoJo. I love them. Didn't you read my post a few weeks ago? I go to a pigtail dinner at a local legion every year. Too many small bones for dogs apart from anything else.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. It does Lisa. Think I need to do a bit of starving before hand though.

      Delete
  7. Radish leaves as pesto? That seems odd. I've only eaten them raw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried a leaf yesterday Diane, didn't know they were edible before, I can't honestly say I liked the taste.

      Delete
  8. OMG. That all looks so good. I haven't gone to a buffet dinner in years. I am not a big eater and really don't get to enjoy it. My dad used to eat pig tails. I never tried them. My Christmas menu will be much simpler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it Denise. I am looking forward to it. Went a couple of times to the place which has now closed, they had a fantastic choice too. I love pigtails, particularly if they are roasted and crispy.

      Delete
  9. Sounds delicious!
    Love the no clean up aspect of dinner out, but wouldn't work here.
    Roasted radishes sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it Yolanda? I may not have to clean up on Christmas Day but I am having guests on Boxing Day (26th) so will have to do it then.

      Delete
  10. This sounds delicious but what is Polenta?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is made from Cornmeal Birgit, it is Italian. You can buy your own cornmeal and make it, or you can buy it in ready made tubes in Zehrs.

      Delete
  11. Oh my gosh, I love the radish green bits. So yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny Ivy, I tried them lately and didn't like the taste.

      Delete