Monday, December 14, 2015

Cecil and Africa, Weekend, Celtic Thunder,

I came across this picture on Friday and I thought I would post it as a reminder. Everyone was in uproar about the shooting of Cecil a few months ago, now we hear little about the whole incident or the even more serious problem of African animals being killed to satisfy man's hunger to kill or to "cure" Asians.


African animals, and others in different countries, do need help. The black rhino has recently been pronounced extinct, In this day and age, that is unacceptable, we know better. At the rate elephants and rhinos are being killed, they too will soon be extinct.

Personally, I am having a delightful weekend. I had a problem with my shin last week which has now become continuous. I am pretty sure it's a shin splint which means I didn't go to exercise and I am not sure about bowling. Then Saturday the tooth I had repaired a few months ago decided to shed the addition made by the dentist.

As you will gather, I have been feeling a tad down this weekend. However, my cousin sent this to us with a Christmas Greeting. I have always enjoyed Celtic Thunder and this was the original group. It is great and full of life and fun. I hope you enjoy it too.



I love soups, I love Asian flavours and I really enjoy tofu. So......


Loaded Miso Soup


MARK BITTAN - New York Times
Time 20 minutes
Yield 1 serving


Many vegan dishes (like fruit salad and peanut butter and jelly) are already beloved, but the problem
faced by many of us is in imagining less-traditional dishes that are interesting and not challenging. Here are some more creative options to try.


1 strip kombu (dried kelp)
1 handful sliced shiitake mushrooms
½ cup miso
Carrots
Turnips
Ginger
1 handful cooked edamame
½ pound silken tofu
Scallions


Bring 6 cups of water to a bare simmer and add one strip kombu; let it soak 10 minutes, then remove it and chop; set aside.
Meanwhile, sauté a handful of sliced shiitakes in oil until crisp.
Whisk a cup of the water with 1/2 cup miso in a bowl until smooth.
Pour the miso mix into the water and add 1/2 pound silken tofu along with some shredded carrots, turnip and ginger, the chopped kombu and about a handful of cooked, shelled edamame.
Let stand long enough to heat the tofu through, about a minute. Add some chopped scallions and the crisp shiitakes and serve.


Have a great day

28 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - African big animals need our help ... lions, rhino, elephants et al .. very sad. Hope the shin and the tooth ease up for you ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly do Hilary. Thanks, hopefully it will get better soon.

      Delete
  2. You are in the wars. I do hope your shin problem is not a shin splint. That would really slow you down.
    About the endangered animals I'm pleased that there is a continual stream of reminders about their plight coming through my FB newstream. Maybe it's because my friends know I care about these issues but at least it shows that many of us are aware of the situation - and any publicity is worthwhile, I suppose.
    I'm a fan of Celtic Thunder, too, and that's one of my favourite clips. A bit bittersweet seeing George Donaldson looking so fit and healthy and knowing what happened to him only a few years later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is slowing me down Helen.

      Yes, there is awareness, but never too much, if only we could stop the slaughter.

      I had no idea about George, had to Google. I must have missed it at the time. How very sad at 46. He was one of my favourites.

      Delete
  3. Soup sounds good.
    Not shooting any animals or using them as medicine. Both are stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you're feeling down :-( Here's the better days ahead. Hope you get some good soup in you and other yummy foods.

    PS: I don't have TV (we don't have cable or local channels), that Bad Guy Quiz is from an old DVD collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivy. We do have TV of course, but it's mostly Matt who watches it. I enjoy Jeopardy every night.

      Delete
    2. Lots of people do. But when I meet my husband, neither of us had TV and that to me, was perfect.

      Have a yummy week.

      PS: I'm really digging the lamb.

      Delete
    3. I think it's great you are enjoying the lamb Ivy. So many people on this side of the pond don't seem to like it.

      Delete
    4. I'm thrilled to find a new food that I can eat.

      Delete
    5. It is great that you can eat it Ivy.

      Delete
  5. I've had shin splints. They hurt.

    That soup sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Diane, they do. I didn't know I could get one though, I don't exactly go pounding down a football field or run through the streets.

      Yes, that soup might have been designed for you.

      Delete
  6. Hope you feel better soon.
    These poor animals are being taken out for pennies by the poachers, and for millions by the corrupt governments failing to protect them. It's a no win situation.
    IE: Dear African Leader: I'm a big game hunter, meaning - you point out the beast and I'll shoot from safety. But hey, I'll pay any price for the privilege. Sincerely, a very rich man.
    Sorry, didn't mean to be flippant - but it's money that talks, and while we all donate to save the animals, one check from a hunter is ten times what most charities can raise. Man will soon see money and it's influence the reason for his own demise.

    Wishing you and yours a very Merry Holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yolanda. The poachers don't get much, but the end sellers get thousands. At least the licensed shooting provides money for the conservation even if I don't like the way it does so.

      Delete
  7. What good timing with your post and ours, and it's sad but true, people have completely forgotten about what Walter Palmer did or even worse, the bigger picture of hunting and endangering animals just for the sake of killing them.

    On a lighter note my mother's always been a fan of Celtic Thunder, so by extension I enjoy them too. Great song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike BFTS, unless it is brought to their attention regularly, people do forget as you also wrote today.

      I enjoyed them originally, wasn't so keen on the changes and then I didn't know that George had died of a heart attack either. How very sad, he was only 46.

      Delete
  8. The rhino extinction is such a shameful thing. It seems the people who care are outnumbered by those who kill for quick profits or a thrill. Hope that shin feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is Susan, especially these days when we know better.

      Thanks, I think it is getting better.

      Delete
  9. I am soooooo against trophy hunting. It makes me so mad. Sorry to hear about your shin and your tooth though. :( I have shin splints and they hurt so bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too JoJo, but they do say the money they get helps with conservation so it's not all bad.

      I am not surprised you have shin splints you do so much walking. I have been recommended to stretch my legs out flat and then bend my toes towards me i.e. exercising the muscle. Seems to help.

      Delete
  10. Yes I agree. We should know better by now than to allow a beautiful, unique animal to become extinct. It's a disgrace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Pinky, disgrace is a very appropriate word.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
    Killing Cecil was horrible. No one should be allowed to commit such a cruel act ever again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Munir, but realistically, the parks make so much money out of these hunters that they can't refuse because they need this money to pay all the rangers who are trying to prevent illegal poaching. I don't condone it, but I do understand it.

      Delete
  12. I know what you mean about people forgetting. The Beer in the Shower guys said it right this past Monday! I wish that dentist would be in jail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trouble is Birgit, he didn`t do anything actually illegal. He had paid a small fortune to shoot a lion. The fact that he shot the wrong one wa just unfortunate in this case. I don`t approve of trophy shooting, but in this case, no crime, no jail.

      Delete