Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Bowling, Lamb

I bowled yesterday. I hurt slightly so was probably favouring my left leg. My bowling was disastrous and someone suggested the bad leg was probably throwing off my balance. Thanks, that means it wasn't my fault, right? The only saving grace, I managed to get over 100 every game so I wasn't a total disgrace. I did hurt, but not as much as I had been, no way I could have bowled over the weekend.

Actually I don't feel much like blogging tonight so, think I will find a recipe to share and call it a night. Gotta get up early to go for blood work in the morning, diabetes and all that so will be heading to my pit early.

This one is for Ivy at Happy Whisk, she has recently discovered how delicious lamb can be. Don't know if she can eat everything listed, but knowing Ivy she can and will adapt.





Middle Eastern Lamb Stew

WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com




Middle Eastern Lamb Stew

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 pounds boneless lamb stew meat (shoulder cut), or 2 1/2 pounds lamb shoulder chops, deboned, trimmed and cut into 1-inch chunks
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil, or canola oil
  • 4 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 tablespoon ground coriander
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 large onion, chopped (or 2 medium)
  • 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
  • 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
  • 6 ounces baby spinach
  • freshly ground pepper to taste

Instructions

Step 1
Place lamb in a 4-quart or larger slow cooker. Mix oil, cumin, coriander, cayenne, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Coat the lamb with the spice paste and toss to coat well. Top with onion.
Step 2
Bring tomatoes, broth and garlic to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Pour over the lamb and onion. Cover and cook until the lamb is very tender, 3 to 3 1/2 hours on high or 5 1/2 to 6 hours on low.
Step 3
Skim or blot any visible fat from the surface of the stew. Mash 1/2 cup chickpeas with a fork in a small bowl. Stir the mashed and whole chickpeas into the stew, along with spinach. Cover and cook on high until the spinach is wilted, about 5 minutes.

Have a great day
 

15 comments:

  1. Jo, What part of allowing your body to heal completely do you not understand? Sore muscles take time to heal. I know from experience. Consider this my 'head slap'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes mom. I can`t just sit around doing nothing all the time, I get bored to death Denise. Plus at my time of life I have to do it now or I may not get to do it at all.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, I can eat EVERYTHING. Holy cow. That thrills me. And, I have everything on hand. How about them apples. Printing the recipe now. Oh wait, I have leg not shoulder. Still, printing now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So please Ivy. Hope you enjoy it. Do let me know. Doesn`t matter what part of the animal you use.

      Delete
    2. I sure will let you know. It's nice to have all the ingredients.

      Delete
  3. I hope your appt today goes well! You really need to rest a bit before attempting to bowl again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Driving was a tad difficult, we got a good dollop of snow last night and they haven't cleared the roads yet. Otherwise fine, thanks JoJo. I will rest for the next two days.

      Delete
  4. I see you made Ivy very happy.
    Give yourself a few more days to heal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did didn't I. I am healing Alex, but I guess my fall knocked a few bones about.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like you are feeling better but I hope you get more rest. You still bowl tons better than I ever could

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had my feet up most of the day, but nothing will get cooked unless I got to the kitchen Birgit. Still gotta eat.

      Delete
  6. At least you're improving Jo. I remember when I belonged to a ten pin bowling league how important every little muscle in your hips and legs were so I'm not surprised your bowling was down. Still sounds like pretty good scores to me though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't forget 5 pin scores are different to 10 pin. 450 is our perfect score Pinky. I have twice managed to get in the low 300s which was a total fluke. The high score doth evade me normally.

      Delete
  7. I hope you are feeling better, dear Jo. Your lamb stew looks delicious! I love lamb. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. I am always surprised to hear of people in North America who like lamb, there are so many who don't.

      Delete